JV 16  Power Tools 1.0.0.124

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Murray, Apr 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murray

Murray Registered Member

This program seems to work well, except for the temp files removal section under the file tools heading.  It just doesn't seem to work at all.  Anybody know why?

2. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Well, it's working here correctly.

You mean it does absolutely nothing, doesn't scan for and present them for removal, or it just doesn't actually remove them after it finds them? Pete

3. Murray

Murray Registered Member

Thanks for your response, Pete.  I mean that it don't do nothin.  All of the other functions work as they should.  Except for the temporary files removal.  It starts to scan, and then never finishes, starts up again, and still never finishes.  The ruled lines that should serve to separate the files that are selected disappears when it starts to scan, so that there is just an empty white space.  Wierd, isn't it?

4. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

You might also try posting at the JV16.org Forum

Jouni himself drops by with some regularity.

Or file a bug report

Cheers,

5. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Murray - You don't by any chance run NOD32 for your AV, do you? If so, turn off Amon before running PT's. Pete

6. Murray

Murray Registered Member

I run Sygate, but what is NOD 32?

7. TonyKlein

Hi Pete,

Slightly off topic:

I just filed a Technical Support Request to Nod32 support with exactly the same problem: JV16 taking 30 secs to start up, accompanied by mouse freezes, and the update tool and file tool taking equally long to get going with Amon running.

I gather this is a common issue?

8. Murray

Murray Registered Member

Peter, you were right.  I disactivated NAV, and that enabled the feature to run.  Another question...I ended up finding over 2000 duplicate files, backed them up, and removed them.  I then found that I needed these files, so I restored the backups.  The entire list of files is still in the backup list.  To get them off, (since it now takes this feature a minute to open) what can I do, without worrying about actually removing them?

9. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Tony - Yes, it's a common issue - I've read it in quite a few places lately (probably showing up more because NOD32 is getting more popular). I hope that your report to them does some good - right now it looks like a stand-off between the two, each thinking that perhaps the other should modify their program to resolve the issue. Since I know what's causing the problem, I just suspend Amon. I've found from hard experience that shutting down all un-neccessary apps is the best way to go when you're doing any type of scan - be it PT, AV, AT, etc. - of course, you definitely do not want to be connected to the Internet while any of this is going on, either!

Murray - Good catch! Apparently, the Norton resident protection causes the same problem - glad you got it to work right! Pete

10. TonyKlein

Thanks, Pete.

If and when I get a reply from the folks at Nod32 support, I'll post it in the Anti-virus software section.

Cheers,

11. Murray

Murray Registered Member

Pete, Yes, I got it to work right, but now, I'd like to erase the backup file, since it now takes 2 minutes to open.  You see, after having found over 2000 duplicate files, I removed them, after having backed them up.  I them realized that I needed some of those files, so I restored the backups.  Well, the files are still on the backup list, so if I were to remove them from the backup list, would I also remove them from my system?

12. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Murray - It looks to me like you're going to have to go into the PT 'BackUp Tool' section, click on 'Tools', select 'Create Custom BackUp' and go through the list, removing the ones you don't want to keep. Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.