Justice Dept. Drafts Sweeping Expansion of Anti-Terrorism Act

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by spy1, Feb 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

http://publicintegrity.org/dtaweb/report.asp?ReportID=502&L1=10&L2=10&L3=0&L4=0&L5=0

"(WASHINGTON, Feb. 7, 2003) -- The Bush Administration is preparing a bold, comprehensive sequel to the USA Patriot Act passed in the wake of September 11, 2001, which will give the government broad, sweeping new powers to increase domestic intelligence-gathering, surveillance and law enforcement prerogatives, and simultaneously decrease judicial review and public access to information.

...The bill, drafted by the staff of Attorney General John Ashcroft and entitled the Domestic Security Enhancement Act of 2003, has not been officially released by the Department of Justice, although rumors of its development have circulated around the Capitol for the last few months under the name of “the Patriot Act II” in legislative parlance."

OIC - they don't totally own our souls yet, and the paperwork involved to do so is irritating them..... Pete

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A42267-2003Feb7.html

2. root

root Registered Member

I feel like I'm living a nightmare. :mad:

3. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

As said your early for Father "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety- Ben Franklin

It would be a terrible thing if you were indeed living a nightmare (if you reside in the states ) only to waken to find it has become real .

4. root

root Registered Member

SPC, did you ever read Dune, or see the movie?
    "He who controls the Spice, controls the universe."

Make no mistake about it, my concern is not for the US of A. My concern is for mankind.
    "He who controls, Privacy, controls the Internet and world wide communications, and that controls the world."
    This is not a political forum, so I want to keep this in perspective. The global nature of communication, industry and commerce is such that what affects me, as an American, affects others as a part of the global community.
    People on every continent and sub continent need to be aware of what freedoms they have that are being threatened.
    When you wake up one day and find the PGP has built in backdoors for US spy agencies, when you find that these spy agencies can install key loggers on your computer with reguard for any legal consequences, and when you find your security programs are deliberately ignoring programs put in use by Government Agencies, it will be too late.

This probably belongs in Privacy General. ;)

5. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

Indeedy root, what you say is true . I have not read Dune or the series but are familar with them. I guess the next will be world water rights

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.