Justice Dept. demands 1.3M IP addresses related to...[political protests]

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by hawki, Aug 14, 2017.

1. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

@hawki - sadly the history of attempted anonymisation is littered with fairly trivial de-anonymisation techniques, well within the power of the FBI, particularly when linked with their unconstitutional access to NSA data. So I think this is a capitulation, not a victory. Parallel construction rules.

2. Uitlander

Uitlander Registered Member

If you still want to set up an email account using TOR, you need to target TOR-based email providers:
    https://freedomhacker.net/list-of-secure-dark-web-email-providers-in-2016-4946/
    Google, Yahoo, Live.com, etc., are not going to play ball....especially those that demand your phone number.

3. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

Protonmail with onion ALL THE WAY is pretty good for me. As always the issue will be the folks sending stuff back and forth with you. Just like GPG or any other encryption protocols, the weak links are most of your friends won't give a ****. Just how it us.

4. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

@Palancar - So does Protonmail now work with correspondents who are using Thunderbird/Enigmail?

5. Reality

Reality Registered Member

Agree about the other party (friends) being the weak link. Trying to get them to even consider using the same service and thus having end to end encryption is an exercise in futility.

6. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

It gets even worse when you start talking about hardening clients and compartmentalisation. Over the holidays, I've spoken on and off about virtual machines with people visiting, and get this double-glazed look, coupled with the tin-foil assessment. Doesn't help that they acknowledge that what I've been telling them over the years is spot on - but I think they've effectively given up and have accepted being owned.

7. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

Yes deBoetie, that is the reaction that I've got from friends and family when I mention these issues. I've reached the point where I keep it to myself. 'You can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink' which saddens me. I don't want to be so arrogant that I will dictate what is good for another person and I understand now that the messenger will be surely shot which is something to consider when one is not completely brave.
    We have a large proportion of the population now, addicted to and conditioned by the 'convenience' of new technology, that are not interested in anything but a narrow band and focus view validated by a global consensus. Dependency always dulls moral acuity and dependency/dependency culture always comes about because of one's inabilty to control underlying, doubt and fear. Yes, it's a coping mechanism that is validated as reality.

8. mirimir

There's this old Zappa song, "It Can't Happen Here" ;)

9. hawki

hawki Registered Member

And after all of that:

"Federal prosecutors abruptly dismiss all remaining Inauguration Day rioting cases

District prosecutors on Friday dismissed rioting charges against all remaining defendants arrested after destructive Inauguration Day protests, bringing to a close a controversial case which led to allegations of government overreach...

In all, 234 people were arrested and charged with rioting. Of them, 21 defendants pleaded guilty before trial. But prosecutors had been unable to secure convictions at trial against others in the group..."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...1cb691f1402_story.html?utm_term=.ed93d724c8d2

10. mirimir

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.