Just installed Vista home premium

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by dbknox, Dec 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Don't know if I did the right thing or not, but I just bought a new computer with Vist Home premium. It works alsost as good as XP ( some things even better) It immediately saw and installed my printer and scanner with no reboot nescessary. There are so many things that a person forgets when he is trying to migrate data from one computer to another. ( In my case it means unpluging the new computer and pluging in the old.)
    The most nagging thing is that you can not see activity in the icon on the task bar when you are on line. I have dial-up and when I open a large web page (ie: for crosswords, PDF etc.) I play games while I watch the activty in the icons in the task bar so I know when the page is finished loading.
    Does anybody know if there is a fix for this?
    Home premium comes with a lot of extras media etc. Seems I have a lot of reading to do, but so far I am happy with it.
    On a side note I already had Vista "stall" on me, I couldn't use the mouse and I couldn't tab to the exit, but when I hit the "windows" key I was able to reboot. I never had a stall or crash with XP!

2. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

Run regedit
    Find iconstreams
    Delete all registry keys with names IconStreams and PastIconStreams
    Restart Windows Vista

3. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

That sounds scary, I am downloading "erunt" right now and once I get a little more done I will backup the registry and ry the changes.
    Thanks markymoo once I have done it I will post back here.

4. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Right click the icon and turn on activity.

Even then it still doesn't seem to reflect the data flow the same as XP's icon.

5. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

hopefully that's all it needs but theres a bug in vista that stops it being displayed so my fix solves that. :)

6. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

Grab a program like Netmeter. Gives you a nice graph of data flow as well as the tray icon.

7. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Hi, You mention that you have dial up. Your modem is 5.6k. How much are you actually getting from your ISP? My Son is actually getting 4.9k with Earthlink. I downloaded a free AV for him and it took an hour and fifty minutes to download 20mb's. I guess burning a song is out of the question then. It would take 3 days. LOL I switched to Broadband a few years ago and have forgotten a lot about dial up. Is there a way to configure your ISP to get more closer to 5.6?

8. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

53k is the legal limit on dial up that the FCC allows. any thing faster has a tendency to interfer with phone calls in the system. That is why DSL is a dedicated service line so it can exceed the 53k on the phone lines.

9. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Good to know. If that's the case, I think dial up should be abandoned as an obsolete method of accessing the internet. I remember that it was rediculously slow when we were using Win95 with 15MBs of RAM. I remember using AOL in 1997 when they had 8,000 subscribers. They would issue an update to download and it would take half the day if you didn't get dropped half way through. In that case you had to sign back on and resume the download. Here we are in 2007 and dial up hasn't improved at all. DSL is another animal, and to this day Verizon doesn't provide it where I live, not to mention broadband. When I signed up for RoadRunner cable Broadband I never looked back.:eek:

10. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Will "erunt" does not work in my Vista. So I will have to rely on "system restore"
    Espresso thanks for that, I downloaded and installed netmeter and all it showed was upload even though I was downloading a file. It seemed to really slow down my dial-up, so I uninstalled it, I am going to try markymoo's fix and report back in a day or so. Have to go away for a while.
    twl845 I have no idea what speed I am getting, there doesn't seem to be any way to tell using Vista. ( Keep in mind I am only on Day 4 using Vista.)
    When I am downloading the transfer window in Opera shows that I am about 4.4K but some of my transfers in Opera when I look at them show that it downloaded at over 8.5K, (this has to be an error) Some sites tend to load at higher rates then others.
    I hate the bloat The bare bones Vista is using over 30 gigs of disk space. I wonder if that is system restore.

11. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

ERUNT works fine on Vista/2008 Server in my experience.

Netmeter shouldn't affect your network speeds at all. If it only shows upload speeds, change the interface in the options. I still use the old 0.9.9.9 beta version.

12. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

I sure seemed to see a slowdown with netmeter, once I uninstalled "netmeter" It was much faster again.When ( are you on dial-up? also) I tried to run Erunt I got some kind of message, can't remember what it was though. Is there a newer version? When I looked at the Operating systems supported by Erunt, I didn't see Vista on that list.
    I changed my system restore to 1 gig and that freed up about 20 gigs on my hard drive. Now I have to learn what other hidden files Vista has. ( so much to learn)

markymoo still haven't done the changes in my registry yet, but I will be trying them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.