Just Installed Vipre.. First Impressions..

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Atomic_Ed, Sep 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Registered Member

I know that Vipre is new and there is not a whole lot of data yet on its performance against competing AVs, however ever since I read about the philosophy behind Vipre, I was intrigued and wanted to try it. I just bought it along with the SPF to run along and so far at this early stage I really like it. The system resource usage is indeed far lower than anything else I have run and the Mcafee it replaced was using approx 30% more memory just at idle with CPU usage at least twice as much. So with the install going flawless and the operatonal GUI looking clean and straightforward, I am so far pretty excited about it. The bad point on the SPF product is will only run on x32 with no x64 support but as I am currently running Vista x32 it is ok because I read that SPF does have x64 on its roadmap. So anyway I am looking forward to seeing how Vipre and the SPF do on my system over time. I feel pretty optimistic right now and expect to remain happy but you never know so only time will tell but the folks over at Sunbelt are top notch in my opinion and spent the time to correspond with me and work with me on my questions and purchases. This type of customer service is all too rare now and is yet another positive for the products development because I can see they care. I can tell you Symantec could sure use a lesson watching Sunbelt's customer service.

So I was thinking of sharing my first impressions here and hoped any other Vipre SPF users will add to the thread and we can share in what little info exists yet for this new product.

2. fredra

fredra Registered Member

3. Atomic_Ed

Actually I had been following that thread for awhile and found it to be good, but the one I started here was more geared towards people who actually bought it and are running it. The other thread is more a mixture of thoughts, opinions and some usage. This one is more people who have replaced thier AV with it. At least I thought it might add some value being more specific of a thread.

4. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Ed,

You are in the wrong forum, 95% of the Wilders members talk about security softwares, they are not using it or buying it.
    :D

5. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

No I do think most people try to software before commenting. I certianly do.

6. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

That might explain why most here don't know what they are talking about (my deduction after two years of reading posts) if they are not using or buying the software they discuss.

7. loli22

loli22 Registered Member

what's a big deal with vipre? what so special about ito_O?

8. Bunkhouse Buck

Who knows? It has not been tested to my knowledge by any of the major testing entities. I have not been overly impressed with their other software offerings- perhaps this is an exception, but that remains to be seen.

9. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

a few FP's for sure, and using some settings can create loads of prompts that dont seem to remember my answers.

other than this, this software is super light, offers a lightning speed scanner and offers good support, as for detection, its not too bad from what ive been testing it on, just a few fps.

surely worth a try, dont you think?

10. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

I have tested Vipre for lets say 1 hour, one month ago.I couldnt let it stay longer in my computer ,lock ups while scaning on demand or errors that forced it to close by itself.Some kind of beta software.I had a bad impression.
    I wouldnt ask money for such software i would pay to be installed and tested :))
    And with Vipre i have used Sunbelt firewall ,latest version at that date, as freeware.The number of popups, that reminds you that the firewall is the non payed version, made me uninstall that too and very quick.The older version of that firewall was usable as free.
    Sorry for the little off topic but i ve tryed to use those together.

11. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

Impressions of an AV without testing it against some sort of malware test set is like doing a review of Photo editing software without actually opening up an image file.

12. loli22

loli22 Registered Member

so...nothing special i guess?:rolleyes:

13. Atomic_Ed

Well actually Vipre, is very special in comparison to other offerings with a completley brand new new scan engine at the core, developed from the ground up where most other offerings are very old engine designs which have been patched and tweaked over the years to accomodate for modern requirements. This alone is very cool and gives me a high sense of optimism about the product. Not to mention because of its modern design, it is extremely light on resources and very fast on scan speeds. Because of all this Sunbelt is advertising the software as "The end of Antivirus as you know it!"

Another factor which is worth noting is that Vipre includes some very aggressive AntiSpyware built into the same engine which eliminates th need for multiple AntiSpyware apps. In fact I have only SuperAntispyware installed right now along with Vipre and until I can see some testing data on the product or experience anything negative, I feel comfortable with this setup.

The product also has rootkit, keylogger, etc prtection built in. Basically this product is designed to address multiple security product needs all within the same super modern and efficient engine. That to me is very special. How well it does with detection/cleaning beyond the obvious performance traits I can see and feel will eventually be available once Vipre is tested along other competing products http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=2379&page=2
    http://www.vipreenterprise.com/Why-VIPRE-Enterprise/VIPRE-Stats.htm
    but so far I love the Sunbelt philosophy on this product design. The only drawback to me right now is the fact Vipre does not have any firewall capability built into it but Sunbelt does offer SPF http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/Home-Home-Office/Sunbelt-Personal-Firewall/ as a seperate component. This used to be Kerio which was bought out and refined by Sunbelt. I personally purchased it to run with Vipre which replaced my Mcafee firewall. So far I like the SPF product and my web access ties seem about the same as Mcafee. The interface is clean and straight forward and the only drawback I found thus far is that it doesn't include x64 support even though Vipre is said to run fine on x64 Vista. SPF does run on my x32 Vista so far fine.
    Sunbelt also offers a special license option where they provide a "home site license" that will cover all computers in your residence. As far as I know no one else offers, so this is special as well.

So if you go to the Sunbelt site http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/Home-Home-Office/VIPRE/ or even read some of the few reviews of the product, you will get a better idea of why Vipre is indeed very special. I am looking forward to using this product and actually have a 3 year license for both Vipre and SPF. I will continue to post my experiences here at Wlders and hope others will do the same. In my opinion this product has the potential to be the next BIG thing in security software, lets hope I am right about this, I feel I am.

14. Bunkhouse Buck

Sounds like a marketing promo to me and I hope this is not another shill speaking for an AV company? The proof is in objective tests which have not been performed- yet. How big and how "special" Viper is- remains to be determined.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2008
  15. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

It is a marketing promo. I tried Vipre against my admittedly limited test bed of ~90K malware samples; results had Vipre on the second tier level, better than F-Prot but less than Eset.

As to stopping keyloggers, please spare me.

16. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I tried Vip-ray (they need to learn how to spell Viper).

Unlike the situation reported by Atomic-what's-his-name, Vip-ray was very heavy on my computer. Much heavier than Avira and DrWeb and NOD. However, in light of IC being there now, I shall keep an eye on Vip-ray.

17. Bunkhouse Buck

Atomic Vipre Marketing would of course tell us it was light as hell, even though doubtful it is as light as Avira, Dr. Web, and NOD. I will reserve judgment until I see some outside test results and test it our my machine.

18. egghead

egghead Registered Member

How is that C.S.J.?

Have you been infected with the trjam virus ? :eek:

19. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

To all,

I will state this once - keep the discuss focused on the thread topic and lay off the snarky and completely unsupported jabs regarding fellow members.

Blue

20. egghead

egghead Registered Member

Come on Blue, just a little teasing. ;)

Let us not take life too seriously.

21. Baz_kasp

Baz_kasp Registered Member

The key word there is advertising. I like sunbelt but what they have done is nothing unique, but you can't blame them for trying to hype the product.
    Most antivirus vendors have optimised their engines to take advantage of modern processors and multithreading....some have even rewritten their engine for their latest software releases.

I can say that pretty much every antivirus on the market has spyware detection built in. You don't need any special "technology" or extra applications for that...spyware signatures are the same as regular virus ones. Again, nothing new.

Well according to my own "testing" (if you may call it that), VIPRE still has a long way to go before it can claim to have good proactive protections built in. I have yet to see it proactively stop malware from executing after using a variety of different malware samples undetected by signatures.

The license policy is an interesting one, but one that I think may be hard to sustain. We'll have to wait and see if Sunbelt can keep it going.

It is a valiant effort but lets not get too carried away. IMHO it is not as polished or complete as offerings from the more established vendors (at this point in time)

22. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

@Atomic,With my testing of Vipre IMO Sunbelts release of there new product did a fine job.It has a clean easy to navigate GUI and settings to support the newbie to the advanced user.It is light on my system even while a scan is in prograss and surfing the net which and Imo is very good. I have experienced A few lighter products though.The scanner is fast and effecient.There are a few extra cleaning tools that are not needed in any AV but it does make for a convience.IF vipre can proof to be a contender to the competition and the decent price tag then Kudos to sunbelts vipre.Only time will tell of its detection and cleaning abilitys .In the end whats important here is can it hold its own against the AV /AS flooded market and will it remain stable for the long hall. Also Will the good support you mentioned remain or will it fade out when they have enough client tell.The bottom Line first impression are sometimes lasting ones and most important its your impression and confidents with the product that counts.Cheers

23. Atomic_Ed

I just wanted to respond to those who commented as to my excitement and impressions on Vipre being somehow related to marketing. I can asure everyone here that do not work for or in any way associated with Sunbelt, so what your reading are nothing more than my impressions and excitement as I said. Life is mostly without alot of instances which aren't either underachievement or status quo at best when we purchase things we plan on using for what they are being presented for. In this case I feel AT THIS TIME SO FAR, that Vipre is unique to me as to the philosophy behind it's development and support. Now some of you may feel my excitement is unwarranted and thats fine, it is your right to your opinion, but please don't take my first impressions with a NEW product and try to make it as though it is some type of marketing for the company. The only thing Sunbelt gave me was great customer service. Something rare nowadays IMO.

But one thing that confuses me with some of the negative comments to my posts, was the fact that my inclusion to some of the LITTLE info out there yet on this new product meant it was some type of marketing attemot for the company. Come on now, if you read my post carefully you will see where as excited as I am abou Vipre, I even said "Only time will tell" and such. This is my honest opinons without bias. Anyway, the other confusing thing about my thread responses ws the fact that I tried to make clear the whole premise of my thread on Vipre was for people who were actually running it and sharing thier info together rather than a critique session on speculators. I welcome any comments to add value to the thread for all to benefit but while with anything there will always be alot of skeptics, I can't see people criticizing a product they are not even running themselves.

For those who feel negatively about my thread, Vipre, Sunbet, the fact there is no Santa or whatever, Please keep in mind that while I am optimistic about Vipre, it is new and I could always find I am wrong in the end. Only time will tell this for sure and on the other hand if I am right, wow tht would certainly mean Vipre turns out to be special wouldn't it.

So anyhow, please keep your comments omming but try to rspect the fact that so far I can tell you that the things I know for sure right now are:

1. Vipre runs light and fast on my system (Dell XPS M1530)

2. The Company (Sunbelt) gives great customer service

3. The product pricing and licensing options are very competitive and unique

4. I am physically running it as my only AV on my personal system (First Hand)

As for the things we will all need to wait to see for sure on, how effective it is once competitive testing results are available (Time), how well the product will be supported again over time, how many will adopt the product, etc. Unless anyone here speculating has Nostradameus powers, only TIME will tell us these things.

Anyway thanks to all who add to my thread I appreciate it and for now I am excited about supporting Vipre and Sunbelt full force untill such time my efforts prove to be ill placed. Of course I am optomistic and don't expectthat to happen.

24. 337

337 Registered Member

I TOO WAS EXCITED ABOUT A PRODUCT AND BRANDED A SHILL!! JOIN THE CLUB! ALSO NOTE: + Isn't it VIPER and you made a typo?
    No, it stands for Virus Intrusion Protection Remediation Engine.

Anyway, I am trialing this product (day 10) on a notebook and other than a slow initial update process, everything is going seemingly well. I am really interested in their licensing option for all my PC's! I hope testing proves this product to be what it claims to be!! Will be keeping an eye on this thread!
    :thumb:

25. Atomic_Ed

Thanks for your info. I appreciate others ACTUALLY RUNNING IT responding like this. Please post back what your experiences are here for us. I feel this thread could really be a benefit for us Viper users running the software. Especially with it being so new we cn use all the real world experiences we can get right now. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.