Just got a router...

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by btman, Nov 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. btman

btman Registered Member

What all do I need to consider... for safety reasons or anything really... what comes in handy... it's mainly for gaming right now... but is there anything I should consider for it lol. I just kinda hooked it up... and haven't done anything with it yet...

2. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Change the default password.
    Disable WAN remote management and uPnP.
    If wireless, enable security features (encryption) preferably WPA2 with a long random password (32-62 characters).
    Read the manual so you can understand and take advantage of all the features.

3. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

also turn off SSID broadcast if it's a wireless router.

4. Arup

Arup Guest

Do a GRC scan, some routers come with default respond to WAN ping, uncheck that, also enable firewall in the router if not done so by now. Also as mentioned change password and disable remote management.

5. btman

btman Registered Member

Is there a program that will help me do all this crap lol... I have Network magic pro trial or something... right now...

Last edited: Nov 5, 2006
  6. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

LOL, I would definately not recommend that. WPA or WPA2 with a full 63 random password will do the trick ;)

Alphalutra1

7. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Not at all hard to do yourself. Depending on the make\model, it will have come with a manual and possibly a CD. One or the other should get you into the User Interface with in the router. Really fairly simple from there. We are always around to help.

8. btman

btman Registered Member

My installation CD didn't work.... TWICE, i returned it once and got a new one...... and got an error while it tried to start up just as the first cd... i had to download the installation... I don't no why the cd wouldn't work... but i couldn't start it up in safe mode or anywhere.

9. ThunderZ

What is the make and model of the router? What error did you get when trying to install the CD. I do not think there is an actual install to do. With a router you generally "run" the program, no install is required. Were you attempting to use add\remove programs? Also, what OS are you using. XP?

10. btman

btman Registered Member

Windows XP Home... sp2 all that crap....

A CD came with the router... and no real error message... i put it in... and windows error reporting system came up... and said some file in temporary internet cache was causing the error...its a WBR-1310 D-Link router... revision D I think....

Error report technical thing has this file C:\DOCUME~1\Rawr\LOCALS~1\Temp\b6d0_appcompat.txt

I can't open the file... I just tried.. but now i'm copying and pasting the cd and try a fresh installation from there.. the random file i cannot find or open changes also each time i run it..

C:\DOCUME~1\Rawr\LOCALS~1\Temp\1b5d_appcompat.txt

Last edited: Nov 6, 2006
  11. ThunderZ

Using this page, http://support.dlink.com/products/revision.asp Can you tell me the Revision so I can look up the proper info. Are you sure when you downloaded the drivers you got the right revision? Also, that location is a temporary file. trying clearing your temp files as well.

12. btman

btman Registered Member

Tried that it didn't work... and I told you the revision in my previous post, revision D.

13. ThunderZ

Sorry, missed the revision. Going to do some reading now.

14. ThunderZ

Ok. Downloaded the PDF Help file from their site. I will assume you have done the same, or that it came with the router. Also that you at least glanced through it. Sense for what ever reason you are not able to run the Set up Wizard it dose walk you through manually configuring it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.