Just for practice

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Mal76, Jan 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mal76

Mal76 Registered Member

Hello All,
    after help from a previous post, I have now imaged my C drive on 2 computers. Both computers only have 1 partition so the image is on that. This is just for practice. I have also made the boot disk for each computer. These 2 computers are used individually (only have 1 monitor so no network involved.)
    From advice by Menorcaman and others, I have split the image into 635 MB files which resulted into 10 files. By dragging the files into a single folder I was then able to explore the image, where everything appears ok, and I had already used Check image which also reported ok.
    I have not been able to purchase locally any decent dvd rw disks, which I intend to use until I get an external hard drive, but I would like to familiarise
    myself with the procedure ahead.
    Now the purpose of this story. When I open the restore image wizard and select and open my backup folder, I then have the 10 image files.
    In my previous post it was suggested that I must put the last file in first,
    ie. 10-9-8...1. hope I understood that correctly. Please clarify this.
    Now back to the restore image wizard. What happens when I put in one of the 10 files and then click next? am I then presented with these screens again to put in the remaining 9 image files. How do I put in all the files?. I am really unsure about this and do not like to explore too far into the restore procedure.
    As I said before this is purely so I have advanced knowledge of the procedure, I have been through the help pages but do not find the answers.
    Thanks a lot for any help you may be able to give.
    Best regards.
    Mal76

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Mal76,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

During the restoration procedure you need to input the last disk (10th in your case) and then the first, then the second etc. However you don't need to remember the order because Acronis True Image will display a message that states which CD it wants now. I would like to recmmend you that you label each disk during the image creation - it will lighten the restoration.

If you restore the splitted image all the files of which are stored in one place (for example on the external drive) Acronis True Image will find the necessary part itself. You may indicate any part when restore the image in this case.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. Mal76

Mal76 Registered Member

Hello Acronis Support,
    Thank you for your quick reply..However I am still unsure how I put in the 10 files. OK I put in number 10, I click next. Then what do I see to put in 1-2-3...9.
    Could you please explain this.
    Thanks, I like it so far,
    Mal 76

4. Acronis Support

Hello Mal76,

The disk input order is connected with the archive structure. Acronis True Image uses the archive where the info about this structure is stored in the last volume (the last disk). That is why when you restore the image you need to input the last disk first. After Acronis True Image reads the archive data it will ask for the first disk, then the second one etc.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi Mal,

If all the .tib files are in one location/folder then it doesn't matter which one you select. TI will sort it out automatically.

You must have misunderstood the advice about last/first. This only applies when an image has been created across two or more CDs/DVDs. In that case you would insert the last disk first and then the first, second etc. However, as Ilya says, don't worry too much as TI will prompt you for the disk it wants you to insert.

Regards

Last edited: Jan 16, 2005
  6. Mal76

Mal76 Registered Member

Hello Menorcaman,
    Thanks for replying. So to be absolutely sure I only need to select one image file (not REPEAT again for the other 9 files) if as you say they are in one folder. Yes or No Please.
    I evidently did misunderstand about last disk first. I thought you were referring to image files.
    Thanks Menorcaman again for your help,
    Regards Mal76

7. Acronis Support

Hello Mal76,

The answer to your question is Yes. It will work if all the parts of the image are stored in one folder.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

8. Mal76

Mal76 Registered Member

Hi! Ilya Toytman,
    Many thanks for your quick response. I am now clear up to that point. Sorry I have misunderstood about the order of input re. disks when I thought it was about image files.
    Best regards to All,
    Mal76

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.