Just bought Norton IS 1 year license

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by mattdocs12345, May 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. itman

itman Registered Member

:thumb: Good catch. Forgot about that one. I would also turn it off regardless of HDD used. The feature will "eat" your system resources.

I am running EMET 3.0 with NIS 2013 without any major issues. I am waiting for the official release of 4.0 at the end of this month.

2. rinem

rinem Registered Member

A few things i disable right after install:
    Full system scan schedule (high hdd trashing and useless for me), I run QuickScan from time to time
    Network cost awareness (useless)
    Idle time optimizer (i use Puran)
    Norton task notification
    Monthly report
    Norton community watch (too much and often hdd trashing)
    Performance Monitoring (useless for me)
    Also i set trust to "high trust".

With these settings Norton is the lightest AV on the market imo and i tried all major ones. Even if u leave the defaults NIS is very very light besides the hdd trashing from time to time due to its "full automatic" default settings.

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  3. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

I did all of these with exception of Performance Monitoring. I do like it when Norton informs me of another software eating my resources. It lets me decide whether i want to keep it or get rid of it.

Doesn't that only work when the computer is idle? Also I do use a mechanical HDD so it makes sense for me to keep it.

Anyways keep the suggestions coming guys. Im new to Norton so it helps out.

4. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Good choice, enjoy it!

5. muf

muf Registered Member

NIS2013 is very light compared to many. I hated it 10 years ago or so and over the years it's reputation as a resource vampire never improved. Last year, I saw a great deal on it and was looking for a new suite. Thought I'd trial it and honestly thought it would be a big mistake, but it ran incredibly fast and my system was snappy and responsive. Couldn't believe it. So I bought it. Even the bad guys can turn good.

I am currently trying NOD32 v4 not because NIS2013 has done anything wrong but because to put it simply, I like to swap about my security software. It's a hobby. I could try to convince myself it's because I seek security utopia, but I change it about so much because I like to. Doesn't change the fact that NIS is much better than it used to be. It should now be a serious contender for all us security conscious peeps looking for something light, easy and good at it's job.

Paul

6. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

some av's are more noticeable no matter what spec PC you run,don't try to belittle another members post especially when your answer is inaccurate,by changing the settings within one av product you can affect the way any PC runs,the difference between different vendors is greater:-try mcafee compared to Norton on any pc for example running a fairly heavy app or two

7. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I agree that all AVs are not created equal in terms of system load - even on today's more powerful PCs it still makes a difference. More importantly I'm surprised that everyone is going on about how light Norton is instead of focusing on how effective (or ineffective) it is, but I know I'm being a buzzkill :)

8. mattdocs12345

Yeah Norton did pretty bad in File Detection test. However that was the only module tested. I haven't seen any real world tests, which quite frankly is disappointing. It also didn't do too well on FP tests.
    However i am using FF + NS, which protects me from most of the drive by downloads. AV for me is a 2nd defense. I would probably be good with AVAST file shield module only and everything disabled. But i wanted to try something new :)

Now looking at another independent site AV-test, Symantec did get 98% of 0 day attacks and 98% of file detection.

Not really sure which site to trust more.

9. steve1955

we have fewer PCs brought in with malware problems running Norton than almost any other product,seems to work very well in a real world situation and is very user friendly:-that may be its biggest +,it requires very little user input to give good protection,very good for joe blogs who just wants a product he can install and forget

10. mattdocs12345

11. nine9s

nine9s Registered Member

What is FF and NS?

12. steve1955

firefox and nis possibly??

13. mhl6493

mhl6493 Registered Member

I would guess Firefox with NoScript plugin.

14. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

True, and the reason I have it installed currently. The fact that it is light impacts everything I do. Its effectiveness is balanced against the fact that I have not been unexpectedly infected by anything in the last 7 years.

15. mattdocs12345

Sorry lol. Firefox + NoScript. That thing will block most viruses/malware.

You used Norton for 7 years? Wow. How do you feel about the 2013 edition compared to other releases.

16. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

I had the 2003 version of Norton IS and it was very slow on my old XP computer. They used the AtGuard firewall in their product which might have been revolutionary back then, but it was very chatty. You could get a few scary warnings that your computer was being probed or an unknown connection was trying to reach you! I think the biggest problem was LiveUpdate never worked at all and you had to install another version on download.com. :D

The latest 2013 NIS seems to be working well for me. I had some trouble rebooting or shutting down my system on my Windows 8 machine from time to time. I think after a few program updates it is working fine now.

Does anyone know if the Norton Ask toolbar is spamware ? Will I still have browser protection if I uninstall it? Why does Symantec charge $50 a renewal when I can go to Amazon.com and I can get the same one user/3 computers license for like $22?

17. xxJackxx

Actually I have not used Norton for 7 years. I used it 1996-2003, then switched to NOD32 for 3 years, then Kaspersky for 2 years, then ESET Smart Security for 2 years, and from 2010 forward I have held licenses for all of them. Unfortunately I have been in a constant state of switching them out when I encounter an issue with any of them. Norton 2004-2009 was unusable in my opinion.

To answer your question about 2013 compared to other years, I feel the quality has gotten progressively worse since 2010, but the current build does not seem as bad as some of the previous 2013 releases. I do not feel the first few releases of 2013 were ready to go when they released it. I have seen a lot of complaints on their forums but I have not had any of the problems I have seen there. Between NIS, Sandboxie, and EMET I feel is it a reasonably safe and useable setup.

18. xxJackxx

I guess spyware is a matter of interpretation. It is no more spyware than the search suggestions on any search engine site. That said I don't care for it. You can uncheck "Enable Norton Safe Search" in the toolbar options and it will remove the search box from it.

Norton, like most vendors, are likely not allowed to undercut their resellers. You will always find a better price elsewhere. Amazon is where I get all of my security suite licenses (except for ESET, where I go though betterantivirus.com).

19. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

Everyone abhors the Avira ASK toolbar, but almost no one has any issues with the Norton ASK toolbar. And you can't even opt out of that one during installation.

20. mattdocs12345

I don't have the toolbar.

21. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Well perhaps not recently, but when Symantec first implemented Ask.com search in the toolbar users went NUTS in the norton forums. IIRC in the end Symantec made it possible to hide the search window which most people felt was a pretty lame "non-solution" (which it is IMHO).

22. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I haven't had any malware get by NIS when I used it either (from 2009 - 2012). In fact I can't remember an incident where I stopped practicing safe hex and NIS was required to intercept a serious threat. For all intents and purposes NIS did nothing on my PC :) I also value performance which is one reason why I switched to Webroot SecureAnywhere IS (the other is support which I've already talked about). My system boots faster using SAIS compared with NIS, but just as with NIS it essentially does nothing more than provide a sense of security. My concerns about the Norton products' ability to stop serious threats come from what my customers are experiencing and my need to support them. I can't recommend Norton to them any longer because I've seen it fail too many times. I know my experience is anecdotal - the user base is far too small to extrapolate meaningful statistics - but it's my real world experience nonetheless.

23. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

I never installed the avira toolbar.

Is it the fact that its a toolbar which deems it as spyware or the actual company themselves.
    The ask.com company seems perfectly legit.
    If it were not a legit company then why are so many security vendors trying to incorporate the ask toolbar into their products.

24. xxJackxx

Maybe so but that is the only experience that is necessary. What you see in real world experience determines what you decide to use, regardless of what anyone else thinks of it. I've got a machine I have run with no AV for a couple of years and I haven't had any issues. It's tempting to drop it on all of them. I spend far too much money on this stuff. :(

25. mattdocs12345

There. Also, I've read somehwere that its results are manipulated. Can't find the source now.

And back to the topic. FF does seem to have a Norton Toolbar but I can't see it anywhere with exception of the plug in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.