Just bought Acronis True Image, Some questions..

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ayim, Sep 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ayim

ayim Registered Member

I'm wondering where I should store the backup files I created for them to be safe, I have 2 Internal hard drive but I'm worried If I got a virus on C:// could it effect files on my other hard drives like F:// ?

I just bought Acronis True Image Home 11 and I created a backup of my entire C:// drive and had it splited to 5 4.5GB files. Now I want to burn these files to DVDs incase something ever happens and I'm wondering how I would be able to restore the backup thats on the 5 DVDs if my system ever crashes and is unbootable (I know first I would load the bootable CD, but have no idea how I would go about loading the 5 DVDS)

Edit// Also, I'm wanting to test my .TIB files to see if they actually backed up everything, I had 48GB and it compressed to 22.5GB. So I'm wanting to somehow load it onto my other internal harddrive and see if it works (No idea how to do this) Also, after I do do that and see that it's working, how do I go about uninstalling it from that internal hard drive?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  2. NumLock

NumLock Registered Member

- Create and store your backups in the secure zone in case of software and virus problems. (which is the most common problems that resorts to restoring to an earlier backup)
    - Also create a second backup and store it in an external HD if ever your internal HD fails.

3. ayim

ayim Registered Member

I just created a secure zone on my other internal hard drive ( is that ok? ) And now I'm wondering how I could move my already made .TIB files to it.

Also, instead of an external Hard Drive could I use DVD+R's?

4. shieber

shieber Registered Member

The SZ offers little protection against malware that targets hardware -- while the SZ is hidden form Win, malware needn't conform to win's restrictions -- as a rule, they are an unruly lot.

I'd recommend avoiding use of the SZ altogether, you're more likely to have problelms with it than to enjoy enhanced security.

If your backups are of high value, store them on an esternal drive and store the drive in a safe location away from the PC. You'll lave greater control over file management and better security.

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Once the archive files are created you cannot move them into the SZ. You have to manage any files in the SZ with TI and this includes copying them out of the SZ.

If your archive is on 5 DVDs you will wear out the tray on your DVD drive trying to restore them since TI does not read all of disk 1, then disk 2, etc. It goes by how it has stored the sectors and this can result in a very, very huge number of disk swaps. I sometimes use DVDs as a third level of backup (stored outside my house) and would definitely copy them to a HD before attempting a restore.

I have also decided that when I prepare my next off-site backup it will be done without DVDs and a HD will be stored at my friend's house. Just so you know where I'm coming from, I consider DVDs to be a less reliable form of backup than a HD and I do know not everybody will agree with that opinion but its the way I see it based on my experience. This does not mean that I don't think a HD can fail, after all, why do I do backups. One unrecoverable bad bit in your whole set of DVDs will render the image useless for restoring the system. You may be able to extract some data files though. Same with a HD but I consider a bad bit on a home-burned DVD to be more likely.

To reiterate, my opinion on DVDs only. This means I will not be debating the merits of DVDs vs HDs for backup storage.

6. ayim

ayim Registered Member

Hey guys. I have another problem.

I'm trying to restore my backup to another hard drive so I can test if it works. I have 3 seperate partitions on my second hard drive (300GB) and I created the secure backup on one of them, and now when I try to restore it will not let me sellect any other paritions other then my main Hard Drive C:/. Is it cause I has the backup on the second hard drive? Or is it cause C:/ is my main hard drive i have no idea any idea how to get this to work?

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello ayim,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Could you please post a screenshot of the problem sceen?

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.