Just added a Wireless router (help w/ settings)

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Birdman, May 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

I just added a Netgear WNR3500 Wireless Router to my network and I have a few questions.

1) My pc is connected to the router via an ethernet cable (not wireless) and previously I have disabled XP services that were required for *wireless" connections. Do I have to enable any of them now that a router is used or it doesn't matter because it's connected through a cable and not wireless?

2) What is the best way to SECURE my connection? What SETTINGS changes should I make (ie wireless settings, LAN settings, basic settings, etc).

3) Currently UPnP is turned 'On' through my router login settings. Leave on or turn OFF?

I've NEVER used a router before so any help/advice/tweaks/recommendations are very appreciated.

Thanks.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. FiOS Dan

FiOS Dan Registered Member

I have UPnP disabled for a few weeks with no ill effects so far.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

If your going to use wireless enablewpa2 (wpa if you cant use wpa 2) encyption with a strong passphase.

5. FiOS Dan

FiOS Dan Registered Member

Try out this password generator.

6. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

Thanks for the guys guys.

A couple of questions:

1) The MTU value when connected to the router shows up as 1452 (even though I had it set to 1492). When I go to my router settings page, the value is set @ 1492 (yet analyzer tests still read it @ 1452).

When I connect directly through my DSL modem...it's 1492.

I've used TCPOptimizer, but still no go.

2) I can not access my modems connection page (192.168.0.1) since hooking up the router. Is this normal since the router took over internet connection from my modem?

7. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Regarding MTU, you could go to dslreports.com and run speed and tweak tests. As long as you're getting good throughput I wouldn't worry.

What IP address is assigned to your PC? If you open a command window and type ipconfig you will see your IP as well as the gateway. The modem may be inaccessible because the router is using the same IP. You can change the router IP and the DHCP settings to resolve this. For instance if the modem is using 192.168.0.1 then change the router to 192.168.1.1 and DHCP range to 192.168.1.xxx

If you're happy plugging your PC into the router via Ethernet you don't need to worry about services you're turned off. Just set encryption on the wireless connection, or better yet turn off the radio.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.