Junk Emails from Myself !!!! A Lot of them

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by ori_d, Aug 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ori_d

ori_d Registered Member

Hi !
    I support IT services
    I have 3 different companies that have ESET for their organization
    from today morning i'm facing a big problem -
    they are getting a lot of spam and the sender name is the user itself

I have a lot more customers that have symantec and they are not facing issue like that
    That's why I'm sure it's something related to the NOD32 - that's what is the connection between all this companies

please help me solver this problem

2. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

anyone can get their domain emails spoofed - it almost certainly has nothing to do with their antivirus.

3. dmaasland

dmaasland Registered Member

It's a fairly common tactic really, to use the same recieving and sending address. Has nothing to do with ESET NOD32 Antivirus in any way.

4. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

It sounds like you were the victim of a Joe Job attack, where spam puts a legitimate email address in the From: field in order to trick people into opening it. I have had this happen to me a few times in the past, and move the collateral (bounced messages, angry replies and so forth) into a temporary folder in my email client and then go back through the headers at a later date to see if I could identify what computers were sending the spam and notify the ISPs in question. Usually I never got get a response, but a few ISP's would reply and eventually the stream of email would stop. Also, spammers will eventually rotate out the address they were using and select a new one as the address they stole began to get blacklisted.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.