June 18th - major announcement from Microsoft!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by guest, Jun 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Yeah, at least for me, i see nothing impressive in this, it's just another tablet but with a Desktop OS. I really do not see much appeal for the general masses (Where the money is i guess). :D
    If i gave the option to my friends/relatives of a free iPad or this new Surface i'm 100% sure they will all choose the iPad without a doubt. :D

2. guest

guest Guest

I really can't understand your opinion. Did you read the specs and the details about Surface? For instance, read this small comparative:

- http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/19/surface-ipad-tablet_n_1610331.html

And this:

- http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and...Pad-10-Reasons-to-Ditch-Apples-Tablet-556394/

From a technological POV, there is nothing even close to Surface in the market. It simply beats them all.

Most of them probably don't even know what Surface is (if they aren't tech savvy). Show them the specs, tell them the details about each one, and then you will see very different results, I'm sure (unless they are blind apple zombies/fanboys, of course).

3. guest

guest Guest

4. tgell

tgell Registered Member

The Future Of Microsoft Is Sunny With A Chance Of Thunderstorms

I thought this was a rather fair article. Where Microsoft shot themselves in the foot was saying the Lumia would not be able to upgrade to Windows Phone 8. That is like an instant death sentence for sales. Why buy now when you can wait a few months.

Article

5. guest

guest Guest

Wikipedia article - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Surface_(tablet)

6. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

A more precise price than Ultrabookish would be nice. And another minor detail for a portable device; battery time.
    It looks fair though, kudos for MS reg. design. But IE better work..:p

7. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Well, it's 2012 now, those figures end at 2010. A lot's happened economically in Europe since 2010. Unemployment is as high as the Great Depression. Some European countries are virtually bankrupt. I don't know who's buying all these computers.

These 'statistics' mean nothing really though do they? Or am I imagining the recession in Europe?

Remind me to quote these figures to my next door neighbours who are now unemployed due to redundancy. I have personally seen two colleges of further education close due to lack of funding. I know, because I was one of the lecturers made redundant.

I'm not excited about Surface. I don't like tablets. They may sell millions of units. I won't be a customer. It's whatever floats your boat I suppose. You can quote from Wackopedia as much as you like, it doesn't change the fact that many European economies are flat-lining. Have you ever visited any Eastern European countries? They weren't doing all that well before the recent recession. I've lost count of the Poles, Czechs, Slovaks, Ukrainians & other nationalities who I have taught English to, & who came to my country before the recent collapse of the euro, because they couldn't find work in their own countries. Most of them were highly skilled. At least a dozen were doctors.

I just don't see who is going to run out to spend several hundred quid on a tablet computer, in an economic climate, where many are having difficulty just paying rent.

Microsoft have misjudged their timing with this release IMO.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  8. Daveski17

Yeah, I can't see it outselling the iPad. Mind you, I predicted the Spice Girls wouldn't sell any records, so I can't speak much for my crystal ball!

I'd still rather buy a decent laptop than a tablet.

9. guest

guest Guest

10. Daveski17

I don't blame you; you'll lose.

ROTFLMAO ... you must be an American!

I'm not really interested in tablet computers to be honest. I'm sure it's very clever & I would never say I wouldn't buy one, it's just unlikely.

I probably am totally wrong. I'm wrong about a lot of things. I'm not wrong about the recession in Europe though. After all, as you said, Europe is not the whole world. Only around 595 million people, I believe. :rolleyes:

11. guest

guest Guest

See that again:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_the_European_Union#Economic_growth

Your country (UK) is in red (still +0.8% in GPD, but that's somewhat classified as red lol), but Estonia and Lithuania for example showed +7.6% and +5.9%, respectively.

The biggest economies of that group (Germany's and France's) are in green as well: +3.0% and +1.8%, respectively.

12. Daveski17

I have family in France. Several family members have just been made redundant. One of those relatives was a highly educated software engineer.

Your Wackopedia figures are pointless. They, like you, don't live in the reality of the recent recession.

Like I said, some of my French relatives are probably wondering about being able to pay utility bills. Fancy tablet computers are the least thing on their minds, I should imagine.

I just don't think that Microsoft have judged or timed this release particularly well. Unless they plan on giving it away, of course.

13. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

Originally posted by Baserk:
    I don't think MS can put this very slick piece of kit into the retailers at a low enough price to ensure it gets a good 'lift-off'...it would have to be low (e.g. circa £300-350), but perhaps they'd be willing to take a big loss on it for a while?
    And Daveski17 is definitely correct about the recession...it's dire, and no light at the end of the tunnel, in truth.
    Why also the 3 month wait for the Pro version...doesn't make sense unless they're allowing for possibility of abandoning project if unsuccessful initially perhaps?

14. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Hey Baserk,
    When you mentioned IE working, your were referring to this? I think Microsoft should have gotten their ducks in a row before the demo. I remember the infamous bluescreen with Gates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTrWPqS4Kxk

15. guest

guest Guest

That freeze was planned intentionally to give the crowd a moment to lol. lmao

16. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Can you give me a link saying it was intentional? Everything I have seen on the web says it was unplanned.

17. guest

guest Guest

18. guest

guest Guest

The figures of GPD growth are stated in Wikipedia, but they aren't from Wikipedia. They are from the IMF.

The reality might be morphing, but still, 2008 to 2009 was probably worse.

Worldwide, the tablet sales have never been so good. It's the right time for this launch.

19. guest

guest Guest

20. Daveski17

Either way, GDP growth is irrelevant to the fact that there is a recession. It's like trying to claim that there is a tangible link between high inflation & high unemployment. There have been Pacific Rim economies in the recent past which have had massive inflation with little unemployment. Your argument just isn't cogent.

Morphing? o_O No, NOW is probably (definitely) worse. I honestly think that unless MS either take a loss on Surface (at least at an introductory price) or price it well under the iPad, it will fail.

Compared to what? Are tablets outselling laptops yet? Europe is having a difficult time at the moment, regardless of Wiki's out of date 'statistics'. I really don't see most people who even still have jobs making something so new a priority buy. Someone earlier made the point that if Surface isn't successful it may even be discontinued at some point. How many people would risk several hundred quid on an untested product when they can buy an iPad?

There are a billion people on the Indian subcontinent, a huge majority don't even have electricity yet, let alone a preference for tablet computers that cost £700. What's the average daily wage in the Third World do you reckon? China may be a potential market.

I stand by what I have said. It's a bit of bad luck for MS that there is a worldwide recession now. Incidentally, even the US economy is hoping that Europe will be able to improve in the next few years as this will inevitably have a knock-on negative impact on American economics.

I understand why MS can't postpone the launch, obviously they have been planning this for a long time. I just don't think that they have got this right. I have a feeling Win 8 & Surface are going to be an expensive disaster for MS. I just hope that they haven't put all of their cyber eggs in one basket with this one.

21. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

MS does VERY well. They can afford to have Win 8 and Surface be a total disaster, and yet they will live on and prosper. I don't think they're worried...

22. guest

guest Guest

The IMF regards periods when global growth is less than 3% to be global recessions. Global growth is projected to grow at 3.5 percent in 2012. So a recession isn't happening now, thanks mainly to the BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa).

See: http://www.conference-board.org/data/globaloutlook.cfm

23. Daveski17

I should imagine that they will survive, but this makes me wonder why they didn't invest their vast *spondoolie reserves in separate operating systems for tablets & desktops. A pure desktop Win 8 would have been a sure-fire winner I would have imagined, considering the success of Win 7.

*money

24. Daveski17

Thank god for that! And I thought it was just me (plus the half a billion people in Europe). :rolleyes:

Just keep repeating the mantra 'there is no recession' won't make it go away.

“I’ll pick you up in my car.”
    “Oh, you have a car?”
    “No. I used to have a car & a chauffeur, but
    I couldn’t afford both, so I got rid of the car.”
    “What good is a chauffeur without a car?”
    “I need him to drive me to work.”
    “How can he drive you to work without a car?”
    “It’s-a okay. I don’t have a job.”

~ Chico & Groucho, Duck Soup

25. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I wondered about that too. Separate systems for tablets and laptop/desktops sounds best to me too. I'm sure they have their reasons and ultimate plans. It will be really interesting to see how all this plays out in the next year or so...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.