June 18th - major announcement from Microsoft!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by guest, Jun 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Thanks guest, forgot all about the new Windows Defender. Regarding the working versions, I'm not sure but based on what I read at pcmag, pcworld, anandtech, et al:
    "Microsoft didn't really allow reporters any hands-on time at its launch Monday afternoon in Hollywood. Instead, analysts and reporters were granted just a few seconds - quite literally - before being ushered away. Several more tablets were apparently powered on and functioning, but walled off by the red velvet rope that's so common in Hollywood."​

So maybe some people did get hands-on time. Anyway, looking forward to seeing how this develops and impacts the market.

2. guest

guest Guest

A first look at Microsoft's new Surface tablet

What we know (and don't know) about Microsoft's Surface

3. guest

guest Guest

Yes, as I quoted in page 2, some people did get hands-on time: http://www.neowin.net/news/hands-on-windows-surface-rt

The gallery of photos of the article clearly shows reporters playing with Surfaces.

Examples:
    - http://www.neowin.net/images/galleries/1497/tablet 8.jpg
    - http://www.neowin.net/images/galleries/1497/tablet7.jpg
    - http://www.neowin.net/images/galleries/1497/tablet6.jpg
    - http://www.neowin.net/images/galleries/1497/tablet9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2012
  4. guest

guest Guest

Ballmer: PC makers were aware of Surface before reveal

5. guest

guest Guest

Another hands-on review:

Hands on: Microsoft Surface tablet review

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Don't forget Intel medfield processor that is x86 and Intel wants to compete with ARM with it.

7. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Just another tablet for me. . . :rolleyes:

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

If they ever get 'em to the point where I can do everything I need, then maybe I'll buy one....

9. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

10. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Microsoft may be willing to sell at a loss in order to get market share. They sold the X-box at a loss for quite awhile. They have plenty of cash on hand that they could do this forever but this causes a problem of Microsoft eating into their OEM tablet makers like HP and Dell. By not having control over the hardware and software like Apple, Microsoft is stuck between a rock and a hard place. Does Microsoft sell at a loss and make their OEM's mad or sell at a premium price hoping it will beat Apple on features? Only time will tell.

11. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I think that much will depend on how well the OS will work on a tablet.
    And to me it's not really a tablet, it's more like a Tab-Lap.

12. guest

guest Guest

UK's Carphone Warehouse: Microsoft Surface is "exciting"

Ballmer's memo to employees is passionate, optimistic

You really failed to get the details about Surface then. There's nothing even close on the market today.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2012
  13. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Just a quick comment lobbed from the periphery... it's been entertaining AND educational watching you guys cover this MS announcement. :thumb:

14. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I think MS pricing will be within 10% of Apple, like for like.

I also think if MS doesn't price at least 25-30% lower than Apple the Surface will fail. Unless it's tied to a cellular contract that involves heavy subsidies.

15. guest

guest Guest

Five unique features which may lead to Surface's success

He didn't mention among those 5 unique features, several other unique and important features, like the super-resistant magnesium case, next generation Gorilla Glass and the use of magnets. Surface is so cool!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2012
  16. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

17. guest

guest Guest

Never. But they certainly aren't alone in thinking that Surface is exciting. :)

18. iammike

iammike Registered Member

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20120619PD224.html

Rumors of course but still..

19. guest

guest Guest

20. guest

guest Guest

With the Surface, Microsoft just started writing its next chapter

21. tgell

tgell Registered Member

I think Microsoft realizes that it had to come out with it's own hardware because it is desperate to take some tablet market share. Even though it may have a superior product to other tablets, if the competition reaches a certain critical mass, Microsoft's foray into tablets is doomed especially if they do not get the pricing right. Kind of like the Betamax vs VHS wars. Even though Betamax was a superior format, VHS had the market share and eventually won. This is going to be an interesting battle, especially since I believe they are throwing all of their desktop users under the bus.

22. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

That's some big bus as well. :eek:

23. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

And when it is eventually a reality, it may not be widely available. The face-to-face support that people are used to won't be there.

24. guest

guest Guest

Microsoft stated that Surface's prices will be competitive. Here is an unofficial estimate: "ARM-based Surface will probably retail for around $500, while the Pro Surface for around $800-900". Source

I can't see the analogy, especially because the Surface has better hardware and software support than any other tablet (including latest iPad) thanks mainly to its native OS (Windows 8/RT) and native USB ports.

What you mean with that statement?

A part of the structure to make it widely available is very visible. Microsoft is already selling hardware all around the world (various models of: XBOX 360 and its accessories, keyboards, mouses, webcams, headsets, gaming peripherals, etc).

25. tgell

tgell Registered Member

I read that it will only be available online and in Microsoft stores which there are about 20 now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.