JPF v2 beta progress.

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Nail, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Nail from Jetico is reading this thread, but it won't hurt if you send it by mail also, just as an reminder for Nail.

2. pcaca

pcaca Registered Member

I know that he is reading this thread, but nevertheless I also send an email to support (actually I first send email and after that I report the problem here).

3. dukebluedevil

dukebluedevil Registered Member

There is a new Jetico beta out. Version 2.0.0.8 beta

http://www.jetico.com/jpf2.htm#downloads

Changes:

* Blue screen after moving disabled rule fixed.
    * Multiple events checking is corrected in hash checking rule.
    * Type of empty tables (network/application/...) is written to configuration file.
    * Default action update after editing fixed.
    * Configuraton tab remembers selected table between sessions.
    * Uninstal program fixed.
    * "Groups" tab fixes:
    Warning on used groups deletion added.
    "Expand" context menu function implemented.
    "Create" context menu function fixed.
    * "Applications" tab fixes:
    Header and context menu added to translatable strings.
    "Copy text" context menu function fixed.
    * Options->General/Log/Access control dialogs added to translation.
    * Popup dialog tooltips fixed on Windows 2000.

~Removed direct download links - url to download page preferred....Stem~

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2006
  4. pcaca

pcaca Registered Member

Some comments on 2.0.0.8:
    • Start up bug (3min. delay), where Jetico doesn't asks for Indirect network access is not fixed.
    • In trusted addresses IP address of LAN is 192.168.188.0/24 which is not correct, while local network is correct 192.168.0.0-192.168.0.255
    • If we set "Process atack filter" to stop learning in policy summary, Jetico accepts everything that is not blocked explicitly because it disables Ask rule in Process atack table and default action is set to Accept.
    • Auto Best Fit doesn't work corectly when I bring up GUI from tray, it doesn't resize columns, especialy in Groups tab.
    EDIT: LAN (actually Wireless LAN) range 192.168.0.0-192.168.0.255 disapeared from Wireless Network Connection group after system restart. I think same problem apeared in previous version.
    EDIT2: Creating rules from log via right click doesn't work if we create more than one rule. I created one rule from log in IP Table and after 15min. I wanted to create another rule but when I click on create rule, newly created rule is same with the one I created 15min. before. New rules are always same with first one.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2006
  5. smb

smb Registered Member

Tried an upgrade from 2.0.07 to 2.0.0.8 and ran into blue screens directly after log on.

I set the JPF Service to manual after this and the next boot was fine. Even JPF was running, even so the service was on maunal and I did not start it actively. o_O

However I will try a clean install now just to be on the safe side.

6. pcaca

pcaca Registered Member

I unistalled 2.0.0.7 and installed 2.0.0.8 without any problems. Just be aware of possible problems with other services which require inidrect access during start up.

7. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Unistalled Beta 7, installed Beta 8 (using Beta 7 config file), running till now smooth and fast, but...
    Same problem here.

8. kr4ey

kr4ey Registered Member

Uninstalled 2.0.0.7 and installed 2.0.0.8

(1) BSOD on login to Internet with saved config file from version 2.0.0.7.
    Will uninstall and try with default installed config file. Will report back if stiil have problems with 2.0.0.8 (May have to reinstall 2.0.0.7)

(2) 2.0.0.8 as in 2.0.0.7 sets Jetico Firewall Server as Automatic in Services at restart, as result still have long delayed bootup time.
    Changed Jetico Firewall Server to Manual in Services, now no bootup delay.

Just a note. I am having no problems here with 3rd party services.
    I have no diabled services. Everything was detected corectly.
    Using Acer Aspire 3000+ Notebook with Windows XP Home. Hard Drive reformated to one partition, and have no acer software other than needed drivers.
    Everything was running smoothing at least with version 2.0.0.7.

May just try to start configuration from beginning to see if still have BSOD on login to Internet.

NOTE: If your having startup problems (or shutdown). Set Jetico Personal Firewall Server from Automatic to Manual in Administrative Tools>Services.
    May have to boot into safe mode to change it.

Rick

9. kr4ey

kr4ey Registered Member

Had to reinstall 2.0.0.7
    BSOD on Login to Internet with restart of Windows.
    Tried with my saved config file from 2.0.0.7 and default config file from 2.0.0.8 with all services configured in firewall.
    Will have to wait for next build or workaround.

Rick

10. pcaca

pcaca Registered Member

Before version 2.0.0.7 service was set to Manual and there were no start up delays. We know that there aren't problems with Manual start up. Jetico developers intentionaly changed default start up to Automatic in order to test it. This problem must be solved during beta period. That is beta software and we agree to have problems with it.

P.S. Can someone reproduce the problems I described in post #204, especially problems with creating rules via right-click from log?

EDIT:
    I posted this in my previous post. The problem is that WLAN conection is not established when Jetico service starts, and it doesn't detect it. If I restart Jetico service, WLAN range appears in both "local network" and "Wireless Network Connection LAN".

11. MaB69

MaB69 Registered Member

Hi everyone,

This is my feedback :
    i've tried beta 6 but had BSOD
    but since beta 7 (so beta 8 too) i had a problem with the install : only 6 jetico's drivers had registered (they are in fact 8 drivers) so jpfsrv starts then stops and the ui reports that this process cannot connect to server.

I use RollbackRx so i rolled back to a previous snapshot

If someone wish to know what are the 2 drivers that failed to register ( they don't exist at all in device manager), i can reinstall this build.

Sorry for my bad english

Cheers,

12. kr4ey

kr4ey Registered Member

I've been using Jetico Firewall for a long time. I agree with you. Thats why were hear, to work out the bugs of this great firewall.
    But. When I set Jetico to Automatic startup here it is unuseable.
    Firewall server won't even start and get error code 80080005 even with current build.
    That's what beta testing is all about.

13. smb

smb Registered Member

No luck with 2.0.0.8 here, too. Neither the update nor the clean install with the default settings do run on my computer. Always a blue screen with the bc_ngn.sys as the reason after log in.

Will have to go back to 2.0.0.7.

14. dukebluedevil

dukebluedevil Registered Member

Few things on Jetico version 2.0.0.8:

• Web Browser Table, you can't right click on it and delete it. The delete option is shaded out.
    • Once my dial-up modem makes a connection Windows XP Pro then just suddenly reboots itself every time.
    • Jetico uninstaller still is getting stuck at "uninstalling registry entries" and won't complete the uninstall process.

15. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

BSOD on shutdown of WindowsXP SP2 with error in Jeticos dll file. Normal shutdown of Jetico via Systray works fine.

16. pcaca

pcaca Registered Member

I think that you can't delete Web Browser Table because it is in use by default. I can't delete any table which is use (have jump rules to it) and it is not a bug, it would be bug if you can delete table in use.

17. Nail

Nail Registered Member

Workaround for JPF v2.0.0.8 BSOD bug: just add any unassigned IP address to Blocked Zone. JPF crashes are caused by incorrect handling of empty groups.

18. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Strange things happen. After my BSOD yesterday, now Jetico won't start anymore correctly. Getting error message that server is not found. A manual starting via start menue brings up Jetico correctly. Will do a reinstall.

P.S.
    - Deinstall with dificulties. Deinstall hangs on the first intent. Had to ste service to manual, restart an deinstall.
    - New Install, same efect. Setting Service to manual, no changes
    - For now i have to start Jetico via Start menue to run it. (Works only if service is set to automatic)

Strange strange.

Somebody can upload please Beta 7 on Rapidshare?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2006
  19. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Trying to do so, results in an BSOD after trying to save the changed group.
    http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/2958/pict0001gq2.th.jpg

20. smb

smb Registered Member

I am having the same problem here, too.

However everything seemed ok when I started JPF manually while Windows was running. During boot there are lots of "asks" for direct and indirect network access (according to the JPF log) which seem to cause the hang during startup. This hang also caused my wireless network to hang, therefore not aquiring a network address. The BSOD came just the moment the DHCP server was queried. Could it be that empty local adress can cause a BSOD, too?

21. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I am not seeing this problem (beta8 ) on a W2K setup. Tommy, have you tried by editing the Jetico config file directly (make entries for blocked zone directly into the jpfconfig.xml file), as a workaround.

22. smb

smb Registered Member

I tried that but on the next reboot there was a BSOD again. However I could work long enough to verify that the entry was visible in the JPF GUI.

23. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

This is possibly (as you mentioned) a problem due the entry of your IP / dns servers via DHCP.
    (I am starting to wonder if this is possible memory access violations)

Are you using XP?

EDIT:
    O.K.,... removing my fixed IP caused a BSOD,.... Let me try and find whats going on,....

24. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

I tried and that worked at the first startup, second -> BSOD.

'Driver irql is not less or equal'.
    Seams that two drivers try to use the same IRQ channel or the memory is scrued up (memory access violation)

Also the problem is still the lack of the starting sequence of Jetico Service. No solution so far.

Installed Beta 7 after a clean deinstall of Beta 8. Same problems. This Beta 8 seams to scrue something up very deeply in the OS. Had to use my image file from two days ago :)

25. smb

smb Registered Member

Yes I am using XP pro with DHCP. At the moment I would say two problems combine in the resulting BSOD. One is that empty Groups cause BSODs and the second that not displayed alerts during bootup have to wait for timeouts cousing other services to fail. The critical part here for me seems to be the missing DHCP address at a certain moment where JPF already expects a filled group.
    Unfortunately I do not have the time to verify that at this moment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.