JPF v2 beta progress.

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Nail, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

There is little point at this time creating a tutorial for user needed (system) rules for config, as default system rules are not yet in place. We will need to wait to see what rules are going to be set on default installation, which will be nearer the final release.

2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

IP groups:-
    For some reason, my local LAN is being picked up (and placed in the trusted zone) incorrectly, The LAN IP entered is 192.168.188.0/24: this should be 192.168.123.0/24 ("local network" IP/mask is correctly picked up)

3. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Here on a WinXP SP2 also.

4. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Folks here some informations from Nail, for the persons who have Jetico service problems, Jetico is not starting when service is set to automatic as it should be or the system is slowing down.

This should solve the problem. Please give feedback.

5. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Some more informations from Jetico/Nail and requests:
    Suggestions?
    ________________________________________________​

Regarding to the Log-Bug:

Further wishes?

Possible Bug:
    Can somebody confirm this bahaviour?

- starting aplication
    - Jetico ask all the question with popus
    - confirming all popus with 'Allow once'
    - closing application
    - shutting completly Jetico down

- restarting Jetico
    - restarting the same aplication
    - jetico is not poping up

Same happenes if you instead of shutting down Jetico load an other policy and reload the optimal policy.

6. hapatsa

hapatsa Registered Member

Not 4 me :(. Doesn't matter how i set jetico 2.0.0.7 service (manual or auto) - Always "Error code: 0x80080005" after rebooting. RPC is started. WinFirewall/ICS stopped and disabled.
    Previous version started OK, but its dupes... So, waiting for next beta...
    PS: Win XP pro + SP2 + all security updates (critical and important) and sorry for my bad english.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2006
  7. dbrisendine

dbrisendine Registered Member

Beat me to the punch; have exactly the same problem. Also now have a problem with JPF v1 running as now it says the service keeps changing and asks for a reboot every time. Any ideas?o_O

8. Ciaba

Ciaba Registered Member

a suggestion:
    ...Jetico dont autoconfigure rules about he's self. For me this is really bad. I think this kind of rule must be created on install process. Jetico wich ask to me about Jetico on work-base-rules(hash, indirect access, access to network, network communication, of jpf.exe and jpfsrv.exe), is really funny I think.

Problem and Suggestion
    -With Opera sistem freezing sometime. I've not see on same event(I think), so if I find repost. No similar problem on 2.0.0.6
    -On view menu "status bar" situation is not memorized...I think the same for other...so I disable but at restart is enabled again.
    -Root windows on left is not memorized so every restart Jetico go on "Allow All" and not remember root customized,...in my case with "Flat View" disabled and "Expand" actived.
    -All Tables(Ex. Mail Client, Web Browser, and all other), not need more rule "Access to Network" on top...this because all the applications that go in net now pass obligatorily from table “Access to Network” for the authorization.

Edit
    -problem of freezing really hard on Opera, same for to try start America's Army game...so i think is a called window bloked or uncorrectly read...If is not resolvible on site I reinstall 2.0.0.6

Last edited: Aug 30, 2006
  9. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

I don't have any of your problems you mentioned. I have to say i brutaly cleaned the registry and during install all other kind of security software was disabled.

Jetico has only the basic rules preinstalled. There is no full autoconfiguration during setup. Jetico only reads your Network, TCP etc. configuration from your registry during startup as every other good firewall also. Further it checks your DNS name server during the first connection (which depend from the location you are located) and puts them into the Nameserver Group.

I personal prefer it this way. Jetico is a FW for sufisticated user and very powerfull. I want to be in control, so i do all the rules by my self.

Asking independent for hash, indirect access, access to network, network communication, of jpf.exe and jpfsrv.exe is very good because it blows the security level up to the top :thumb:

Regarding the rule 'allow access to network' in each table, they have sence for me because if i want to disable a programm for Internet or Network, i just switch this rule to 'reject', so you don't have to delete the rule in the 'Access to Network' table. But principal you are right. The rule makes no sence for normal behaviour.

10. Alffa

Alffa Registered Member

1. For me after: uninstall of JPF1 -> reboot -> install of JPF2v007 -> reboot the error pops up to inform that could not connect to server. After that JPF2 is on automatic and no errors on startups. So for me this is/was one-time only annoyance... (same thing was with 2v006... except was on manual)
    2. Seems to be gone now
    4. Seems to be working now
    7. I excpected this fix to apply also to all column widths and positions inside window. Would like to see this to be possibe because I don't like the default order and widths of the columns. Would like to see this information also be saved after changes.

Also noticed that on HASH-table, can't set more than one event per one rule, so cant make rules that has one program with a HASH and all three events inside the rule (seems that only the 'access to network' is applied if checked.)

11. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

The rules for checksum can be changed using custom rule (see pic),.. But,.. this is not working correctly, as even with ash rule to allow all events, there is still a need/prompt for further rules.

So this is a bug,... could this be confirmed.

Attached Files:

12. ddxylo

ddxylo Registered Member

I sent this e-mail to Jetico,Inc. yesterday.
    I think this is the cause.

13. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

So it is a bug,.. thanks for confirmation.
    ____
    Stem

14. anyleaf

anyleaf Registered Member

I want to use vpn,but just found pptp protocol and add tcp port:1723 rule,cann't find GRE protocol.So i didn't connet to the server.:(

15. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Confirmed also here.

16. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Go to the protocol table and enter a system protocol rule,.. if GRE is not there, then select "other" and place decimal number 47.

17. anyleaf

Thanks,but the decimal number 47 is equal to pptp protocol :(

18. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

47 is GRE,info.. please try: check setting for VPN

Attached Files:

• vpn.gif
      vpn.gif
      File size:
      13.7 KB
      Views:
  19. anyleaf

But i tryed before,it still cann't work:(

Attached Files:

• 4.gif
      4.gif
      File size:
      4.6 KB
      Views:
  20. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Must be a bug (I have not tried VPN). e-mail jetico support.

21. anyleaf

Thanks anyway,i sent a email to nail

22. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

:thumb:

23. hapatsa

Look in the log-window for blocking-messages to your VPN-server (and later from your VPN-server) , check the reason and make corresponded rules :D
    j2b6 worked well with vpn after such manipulations...

24. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I see little point in having an option "Allow VPN protocols" if manual rules are required to allow such protocols. This option needs attention.

25. hapatsa

Sure. Another way to solve this problem is to wait for Jetico when they make such rules.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.