Jetico with NTWrapper: is it secure during boot/close down??

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by SamSpade, Nov 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Then, with a correct ruleset Harden-It isn´t necessary? My system hardening tools are WWDC, manual services tweaking, BugOff, SafeXP(very few options used) and Harden-It. Would be nice to reduce the number of tools used
    I think that Linux is more secure than Windows because of:
    -Real separation of users accounts
    -Limited rights to processes
    -Most of the users are security aware i.e. don´t use the root account, download and check packages from trusted sources
    -Very good inbuilt firewall
    -Most of the vulnerabilities are local
    In the not too distant future I´ll move the gateway to OpenBSD if I can understand it

2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

If I remember correctly, Harden-it simply makes changes\additions to the reg entries @ ~\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\*

3. charincol

charincol Registered Member

You can already do that with a FreeBSD firewall/router/gateway solution that is pretty easy to set up and understand. It's called pfSense and is at ver 1.01, very stable, and under very active development. http://www.pfsense.com/ It has some pretty cool features like traffic shaping, bridging, SSH, CARP failover, open VPN, and add-in packages like Snort, Squid, Tarpits, UPnP (without using Windows buggy UPnP), Clamwin AV, and others.

It installs on a machine ideally with at least .5G hard drive space and at least 128MB RAM. I run mine off a 512mb microdrive. It can also be used as an embedded firewall running off a compact flash card.

4. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Wow, a new UTM flavour which I wasn´t aware of :eek:
    I´ll send you a PM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.