Jetico PF and torrents

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by sruss, Nov 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sruss

sruss Guest

Hi,

I have some trouble getting my bittorrent client, utorrent, to work with Jetico. Jetico is seems to be stopping a lot of bittorrent packets via the "block all not processed IP packets" rule System IP table. I've been giving it carte-blanche access and putting it into the Application Trusted Zone...

This is what shows up in the log when it happens:

11/1/2005 reject Block All not Processed IP Packets 48 TCP incoming packet xx.xxx.xxx.xx 192.168.1.33 1943 4474 TTL: 115; TOS: 0; ID: E4CD; Don't fragment; TCP flags: SYN ; TCP Seq: 2FDF42A2

they're all size 48 and 60 packets. When I enable UPnP port mapping in utorrent, it becomes a flood of these blocked packets. So, is there a way I can create an "exception" to this rule in jetico to allow these packets to pass through only to utorrent?

Also, when I give utorrent application trusted zone access, another prompt pops up to ask me what I want to do with an application called c:\windows\System.exe (event send datagrams to a remote address, port 137, maybe trying to reach the torrent tracking site?). I've been putting it in the trusted zone as well...

Does anyone have a pre-configured ruleset for bittorrent clients?

Thanks,
    Russ

2. sruss

sruss Guest

Hi, I found this thread after a forum search, the fix was a reinstall of windows. I'm a little reluctant to do a full reinstall of windows because of this issue, I installed windows on this machine less than a month ago and have only used Look 'n' Stop and Jetico (besides the integrated WinXP firewall).

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=101255&highlight=jetico

3. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Can you describe your set up/connection a little more: connnection type, router, anything else that may be affecting the use of this app.

Can you define the ports to be used instead of using UPnP? This would make configuring the firewall easier.

You should deny NetBios from leaving your system/network.

Have you made sure any previously installed software firewall is completely removed and the Windows firewall is disabled? Reinstalling Windows should only be a last resort.

Regards,

CrazyM

4. sruss

sruss Registered Member

The latest -

after being away from my computer for a couple of days, with my bittorrent client off, I returned and the next time I tried my bittorrent client the problem disappeared (no evidence of the packets getting caught in the log). However, after a day or so of running bittorrent while writing in openoffice writer my computer started experiencing intermittent freezes, culminating today in a complete freeze of my system, which I had to do a hard reset to get out of (actually, my girlfriend had to do the reset, I wasn't around at the time). After the reboot Jetico said that it was corrupted and needed to be reinstalled, as did Netlimiter which I had been using along with Jetico. I've uninstalled jetico but kept my last several logs if anyone is interested in seeing them. Is there a way I can read them without reinstalling Jetico? They're binary files, but I can see a little of what was going on when I open them with notepad. One thing I noticed was: C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\drwtsn32.exe. WMP9 crashed and dr. watson got called. I remember dr. watson getting called once before and jetico blocking access (I forget the name of the rule, I think it was the one to prevent an attacker from inserting code into a running program). I'll post the logs if anyone wants to look at them. I'd really like to figure out what the problem is because I really like Jetico and would prefer to stick with it... meanwhile, I'm removing access to WMP9 on my system as per http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/faq.aspx#2_4

My connection is cable, and I'm running behind a Netgear WGM124 pre-n router. My bittorrent client was using a single port (I disabled the use UPnP option in it) and the router was forwarding the port correctly. The next time Netbios popped up to try to escape my network I denied it and created a rule - thanks for that tip. I'm still very much a novice when it comes to firewalls...

Russ

5. Syncman9

Syncman9 Registered Member

Hi,

Jetico needs extra rules adding in order for torrents to work, it's not particularly difficult just a pain that you need to do it.

You need to monitor the un-processed packets and added in rules to allow them. I will flip back into windows later (I normally use Linux) and see if I've made a note of them.

6. sruss

sruss Registered Member

Thanks - it would be great if you have those rules handy. If you don't, that's ok, I'll try my hand at drawing them up myself (even though I barely can read the log!). I'm going to have to leave off installing jetico again for another day, I'm just too busy right now...

Best,
    Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.