Jetico Personal FW now for free

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ichito, Apr 15, 2016.

1. itman

itman Registered Member

From my quick read of the help file, it appears you can apply HIPS based protections to defined Internet facing apps. Don't believe you can create same rules for non-network based apps.

2. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I might check it out, and see if it's compatible with my current setup.

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

That's the beauty of doing a quick Macrium image... save your current setup, try something new out, if it doesn't work out, restore your image and you've lost nothing... :)

4. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

To be honest, I'm still trying to figure out how to use Macrium, but it's indeed a good idea to make a system image.

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, I can't tell you how many times it saved my bacon. I have images of Win 7, Win 10, and about 6 Linux distros at the moment... I can swap any image onto the hd in 20 minutes. It's great.... Macrium Free is fairly easy to use, just make a rescue disk first, and save your system image to another drive, external or otherwise. Anyway, just an idea. ;)

6. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

It s a great firewall for free.It seems to be working on Windows 10 as well, in case anyone wondered.But there is a problem, there is a leak (nothing abnormal for W10 though :) ).
    After 2 days of usage i ve seen in pfsense log some connections made from the machine towards191.232.139.x port TCP 443.This are IP -s of Microsoft from Brasil, country that in my router is blocked.
    In spite of a strong svchost rule this got out somehow , now i need to find what rules lets it out just for the fun of it. :)
    Great firewall for free nevertheless.

LE: If you decide try it do not forget to disable the Windows Firewall otherwise there will be connectivity issues.:thumb:

LE2:It seems that the "micro"-traffic was bypassing the firewall via Microsoft Kernel Debug Network Adapter ,which i ve disabled.Afterwards the blocked ip group from Jetico, where i ve added this specific IP as well, was finally picked-up and blocked tru it.
    So the firewall is not quite in front of the traffic ?!
    It seems that microsoft related traffic goes out via unortodocs paths :)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  7. Boblvf

Boblvf Registered Member

Works well under Windows 8, but black screens in game, and svchost " leaks " ( Left4dead2 ) when the game is closed... false positive.

Windows 10 ?... not sure it works.

8. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

It somehow :) works under W10, but there seems that the first stage of the 4 filters does not really peak up any network traffic.So ARP ,ICMP can t be controlled, applications can be though.The network driver is not quite properly connected into the OS ,maybe it s related to the new way Windows Defender works under W10.The telemetry network traffic to Brasil could make it s way out.
    On W8.1 it works though.

Boblvf, if you have issues with games you can disable the so called antileak features, the indirect and process attach filters.You can also make a template for specific games so the game executable to peak up network rules from there.
    You usually need to allow most of the stuff in the non network filter stages for a game to work properly and to avoid freezing or other crashing issues.Indirect Access could be left disabled most of the time as it s confusing.
    It s a firewall that requires some work when first used until everything works properly.
    UDP traffic of the game consists of listen ,receive and send datagram, so make sure you have them allowed.

9. Boblvf

Boblvf Registered Member

Ok ! thanks ! it works.

10. jadinolf

jadinolf Registered Member

Going to try it.

I have licenses for Outpost Firewall Pro but looks like we will be losing it at the end of this year.
    Looks interesting.

11. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

install a firewall you understand - not because it is free.

12. jadinolf

Well, as it turns out, I am not computer literate enough to use this program.

The search continues.........................

13. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

The built-in firewall in Windows 10 is powerful enough, if you learn a bit about how to use it. No need for a third party firewall at this day and age.

14. jadinolf

Thanks
    When Outpost is defunct I will use the Windows firewall.

It will be like saying good-bye to an old friend.

15. boredog

boredog Registered Member

Do we really need a firewall with a nat router? I remember some years back there was a guy on DSLReports that made a challenge to anyone that could hack through his router setup. I don't think anybody ever did.

I see this install requires a reboot.

16. boredog

Installed, on Win 10 64. Program froze, did a hard reboot, Program loaded with a million popups to allow or not.

17. boredog

Cost of Firewall FREE!!!!

Cost of physical therapy from clicking on all the pop ups, 5 grand !!! LOL

18. solitarios

solitarios Registered Member

hahahaha :thumb:

19. jadinolf

SO TRUE!

I think I just got carpal tunnel syndrome.;)

20. boredog

Maybe was not meant for win 10? Now I remember why I uninstalled this firewall years ago. Ya it sees everything but my god for the popups.

I guess because it does not have any whitelist like most modern programs do. Also could be most modern programs connect to the cloud every ten min and even if you say allow, it still sends a pop up.

21. chrisclu

chrisclu Registered Member

I'm still using Outpost, myself, and will until they stop updates Dec 31. Haven't found anything else as good. Then I suppose I'll use the Windows Firewall shell

22. takamagahara

takamagahara Registered Member

is it compatible with windows 7 x64?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.