Jetico Personal Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Kerodo, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It is free!!!

Jetico Personal Firewall for Windows 98/ME/NT/2000/XP
    v.1.0 freeware

18. v. 1.0.1.47 Freeware version release, 30th December, 2004.
    Default rules for Windows services added, as a result, the firewall will display less number of popup messages. The firewall rules for low-level network packets now have an explicit parameter for verifying correct packet checksum. Support for IGMP protocol added. Problem of compatibility with Kaspersky Anti-virus solved. Help documentation significantly improved.

2. mee

mee Guest

I get so stinking tired of people crying and wining about having to pay for a firewall. When Jetico gets this firewall finished, they should make money on it. They have programmers working their butts off around the clock and everybody expects them to just give it away for nothing. If I like it, I will buy it....simple as that.

me.

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I personally don't mind paying for a firewall... I have purchased 3 myself over the past year or so. But many people are on tight budgets and appreciate free software when it comes along. Nothing wrong with that... ;)

4. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Exactly right. mee better watch out or he will have a high blood pressure and die early getting that worked up about this issue. Trust me I know about these things. ;) I will wait a little while and see how Jetico goes. Been following this thread :D

5. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

Lurking you mean ;)

6. dukebluedevil

dukebluedevil Registered Member

Does Jetico firewall have TCP flag control in the rules at all?

Thanks.

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yes, you can set TCP flags in the rules... You can also set ICMP codes as well, for example, ICMP type 3 code 3. It's quite powerful..

Last edited: Dec 31, 2004
  8. iwod

iwod Registered Member

what about resources usage? How does Jetico compare to VisNetic and L&S ?

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I'm running it right now and the cpu usage is nil. Ram usage also seems very light, only 3 megs right now according to Task Manager. That seems very light actually. The executables are very small. I've never used LnS much so I can't compare it to that, but it's as good or better than Visnetic on resources.

All around I like it a lot, maybe even best. Some people have had various issues with it's uninstall, but I never have on a W2k system here.

10. dukebluedevil

Thank you Kerodo for all the info. This firewall sounds very interesting. I think I might just have to finally give it a try sometime this weekend. :)

Thanks.

11. Diver

Diver Guest

Running Jetico right now. Interface is a bit different, but fine after you get used to it. I set up a "table" for programs that have outbound tcp on ports 1024-5000 to a server on remote 80. For a bunch of programs I am able to select this rule as the response. The rule only will apply to the specified applications, it is not global. Very clean.

My worst complaint: The box for editing rules is way too small.

It might be nice if lists of non contiguous ports were allowed.

When a rule is approved for a new program it will have the remote address in it by default. Usually you will have to change this to "any address". If one of the "table" rules can be used, you will not have this problem.

Because a lot of editing of rules is required, this is a firewall for advanced users, but it is not so difficult as to be considered a firewall for expert users. (I am no expert and it did not seem too difficult.)

Anyway, the price is right, it is full featured and it does well on the outbound leak tests. I wonder where Jetico will be going with this. I don't see this one staying freeware forever.

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Check out the About dialog.. It still says it's beta software.. A typo I guess.. :D

13. dukebluedevil

I didn't have much luck using this firewall unfortunetly. For one thing I think the rule editor layout stinks. They made it way to complicated it seems like then it needs to be. It was hard for me to work in the rules and actually find what I was looking for and I agree the rule editor window is way to small too. I really hope they work on cleaning things up a bit so its not so tedious creating/editing rules.

I only used it for a short while because once I got online and started my browser the red arrow in its icon lit up and my browser wouldn't connect out so when I tried going into the firewall to look at the logs/rules to find out the problem Jetico just stopped responding and frooze up on me. Anytime something was being blocked from going out Jetico would just keep freezing up on me. So I tried uninstalling it and the uninstall wouldn't uninstall anything it just kept sitting there doing nothing it looked like, it was really strange. So I had to click cancel on uninstalling and restart my pc and then it said something about the firewall driver not being able to be accessed and to reinstall which I did and then finally it uninstalled fine.

From the looks of things this firewall still needs alot of work yet. Maybe it saying its still a beta in the About section isn't a typo after all lol. :)

14. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

It's interesting that you had so many problems with it.. not good. Several people have reported similar experiences. I personally have had no troubles with it at all and am using it now without problems. I've also never had an uninstall problem. Perhaps it's because I'm using Win2k and not XP? Don't know though...

It would be nice if those who did have problems would take the time to report them to Jetico. Then maybe they could fix things. Unfortunately, when one has trouble with a firewall, the first thing you want to do is just get rid of it and the last thing you want to do is bother to report the problems..

At any rate, if you do have trouble or suggestions, consider telling them at support@jetico.com. It might help future releases...

15. dukebluedevil

Im just glad it didn't totally trash my system as some of the other people have reported. I was prepared anyways just in case after hearing some of the horror stories, turned on system restore and had an image of my drive ready. :)

I reported my problems to them right after I was able to uninstall it. I always try to report any problems I have with programs to hopefully make them better in the future. I used there feeback section on there website to report it, so hopefully they will get it ok. We'll see if they contact me or not about it.

By the way im using WinXP pro sp1. Are these problems pretty much just on XP then?

16. Hi, I am using XP SP2 and there is no problem with it, it run fine and pretty, and no asks anything after I set rule for my programs, and if I am going to use a new programs just go to askuser and change to rejetc to ask and run the program and I see the new rules I have to set at applications module, and change one moretime from ask to reject at askuser, runs fine. I like it as much as tiny.(there are two new version for tiny in beta and the diference is that one is for esayer use, and the other for professional, they look fine). It seems Jetico is going too farr in a good way.

17. Diver

Diver Guest

Last night I found that a java video bitrate calculator would completely lock up my system with Jetico PF active, so I went back to Kerio 2.15. Anyone have any ideas on this one?

When you uninstall Jetico do not have any other programs running. I found that unless I unloaded KAV the uninstalation of Jetico PF would not complete.

I think this FW has a lot of potential, but it also needs some further development.

18. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Sounds like it does need some more work. I've gone back to Tiny for now.

19. Diver

Diver Guest

I did some more testing with Java. Any attempt to start Sun Java from a browser causes the entire system to lock up. XP sp2. Could have something to do with KAV being on the system.

Its just not ready yet, but it will be hot when it is done.

20. SSK

SSK Registered Member

I have WinXP pro sp2 / KAV pers. 5.0.227 / Sun Java 5 upd.1 / Firefox installed, and have no problems with Jetico Firewall.

No uninstall problems either.

Well, I hope it keeps running. So far so good :(

21. Diver

Diver Guest

Using java 1.4.2.06 here, perhaps Java 5 is the fix.

22. Diver

Diver Guest

I tried changing my Java VM to 1.5 but it did not help, so it is back to Kerio 2.15 for me. Why it works for SSK and not for me is a mystery. There is probably some other low level driver on my system that is causing this. I suspect that it is related to the sandboxing as this sequenceof events involves having a browser launch the Java VM which then runs an applet. The problem is not limited to the bitrate calculator. Any browser launched instance of the VM locks things up and only a power off can fix it.

23. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Diver, I have the "Place Java icon in the system tray" switched off in the Java control panel.

Furthermore, I have KAV "protection against network attack" disabled.
    "Protect against network attack on startup" is unchecked.

24. Diver

Diver Guest

I have the KAV network attack module disabled as well. I can't believe that place icon in system tray is the culprit. It has to be some other low level driver that is the culprit.

This is an obscure problem that may take a while to work out. It is probably in the sandbox feature of Jetico PF.

25. Hi, icon in system tray could be the culprit if you have reject in Process Attack table, if this is the case, change it to ask and if it responds that´s the answer to your problem and you are going to permit some rule here. It happened to me with my antivirus when I wanted to updated from the taskbar.

When something doesn´t work, I usually change askuser and process attack tables from reject to ask, and usually the problem solves.

good luck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.