Jetico Personal Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Kerodo, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rostek

Rostek Guest

Hello Everybody, I'm new on this forum.
    I'm encountering a little problem with "Copycat" test and Jetico. I launch Copycat, select PID of Jetico for code injection. Jetico warns me, that "attacker writes to aplication memory". I choose to block this action and... firewall stops responding and my computer hangs up :( I need to use "reset button" to restart my system! :(
    Does anybody also noticed this problem?

greetings and sorry for my bad english

2. Diver

Diver Guest

The trick in the Jetico user interface is that inbound/outbound connection with TCP is the same as TCP in most firewalls, but send/receive datagrams with TCP is the same as UDP. For some reason I got that one right away, but it could be a stumper. I also had to learn how to do network masks as JPF will not take an IP range.

None the less, I continue to see a lot of folks that do not like the interface. However, once you get used to tables things go quickly. Also, the clone command makes up for not being able to specify multiple protocols or multiple non aadjacent ports.

That is what I think anyway. But if you do not like it, you do not like it. I will be the first one to admit that the interface for Kerio 2.15 is very good and intuitive. I prefer this way of doing things greatly as compared to Zone Alarm or Sygate.

3. nameless

nameless Registered Member

For some reason, I simply can't figure out what you are saying here. Can you please restate it for those of us who are sleep and drug deprived? ;)

4. Diver

Diver Guest

Second Try:

Jetico Application Rules:
    Protocol: TCP/IP
    Event: outbound connection

Usual Convention: TCP outbound

Jetico Application Rules
    Protocol: TCP/IP
    Event: Send Datagrams

Usual Convention: UDP outbound

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, my ISP blocks 135 and 445... yours might also. You can tell by disconnecting any firewall/router and doing a grc.com scan. If those ports show up as stealth, then your ISP is blocking those ports.

As far as I know, Win2k uses Services.Exe for DNS and DHCP, and XP uses Svchost.Exe (or at least for DNS). Probably Jetico should check to see which OS it's installing to during the install and then set the rules accordingly.

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

The Kerio 2.1.5 interface has to be one of the greatest, most elegant and intuitive interfaces of them all. I love it.. Everything is right there in front of you. Can't be beat really...

7. ghost16825

ghost16825 Registered Member

Don't worry I hear you.

8. dukebluedevil

dukebluedevil Registered Member

Another new version of Jetico released today.

v. 1.0.1.53 Freeware, 8th February, 2005.
    Occasional crash on hiperthreading and SMP computers is fixed. Configuration Wizard now correctly recognizes broadcast addresses as firewall dynamic variables. The firewall behaviour at system shutdown is corrected.

9. INTOXSICKATED

INTOXSICKATED Registered Member

anyone having problems with v. 1.0.1.53 Freeware? and am i correct in believing that this is no longer a beta release?

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I have heard, on another forum, of people having problems with JPF crashing when viewing the logs. I believe it's been reported though.

Jetico no longer calls this a beta release, however, perhaps it really should still be beta. There seem to still be problems cropping up fairly frequently..

11. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Still having this problem, although infrequently. If anybody else sees it, please notify Jetico about it.

BTW it is not limited to above combination, seen it with program installers, just closed programs etc.

12. schizo

schizo Guest

I am using this version. No, I don't have ANY problems. It runs stable, without consuming much resources (cpu:forget it; ram: between 3500K and 9500K (after running it for 79hrs straight)). I run w2k sp4 (LITE version). YES, it's not beta anymore ...

On my box, it didn't crash at all when viewing the logs or doing heavy rules adding, changing etc. I was a bit put off jetico coz what I read about it. But that shows once more: you better try it out on your own individual and usually unique computer setup yourself and then you know for sure. For my particular setup, it's the best around! and it's FREE :)

CHEERS

13. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

I’m not sure about the previous Windows, but on Windows XP you can be sure you’ll experience the problem at some point, depending on your activities you may not experience until it is to late… In my case I can reproduce the anomaly in a split second by doing a particular activity…

I had posted about it on http://www.fluxgfx.com/ssc/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=6

As for being free, you want me to tell you why it is currently free? and how long do you think this will last? :eek:

14. schizo

schizo Guest

by all means, do tell me :)

15. dum

dum Guest

Okay, let me tell you. It's free now because it still has problems. It will stay free as long as it has problems so that you guys will try it and debug it for free. Whenever it no longer has problems, it's time for Jetico to be sold to users. So please work harder to try it and debug it, so that Jetico can be upgraded from a Freeware to a Shareware or whatever.

16. nameless

Who gives a turd? What Jetico is doing is not out of the ordinary. No one is forcing me to run JPF. And if it doesn't run well for you, simply stop using it.

I also happen to know that Jetico will be giving away free licenses to active beta testers, so your sarcasm is pointless.

17. Phant0m

I do actually, and I’m sure some would also.
    You may not care but I do, misleading people, telling people it is no longer beta, and it is freeware. It shows it still in beta stage and as long as it still shows it’ll be freeware, people making a sacrifice without knowing the whole story is a wrong sacrifice. If people were properly informed they might not all jump to Jetico, and avoid having serious problems happening on them with that product, and not get so attached to something that will eventually become shareware and not be-capable of purchasing it.

This is my opinion…

18. nameless

As I see it, there are only three types of users who try JPF, and none of them will be adversely affected, and have a right to complain, when the product goes commercial:

* The person who tries JPF, has problems with it, and decides not to continue using it. This person will not care whether or not it ever goes commercial.

* The person who tries JPF, has problems with it, and decides to continue using it, without notifying Jetico about the problem(s). This person is getting what they paid for, and can't rightfully complain when it goes commercial, because you can't expect support or bug fixes to a free product. If it doesn't work well enough, stop using it. Period.

* The person who tries JPF, has problems with it, and decides to continue using it, while notifying Jetico about the problem(s). This person will be given a free license, and will therefore not care when it goes commercial. (If you don't believe me, just ask Jetico.)

19. SSK

SSK Registered Member

I have to agree with nameless. (Well, this free license thingey sounds nice, BTW :D )

20. Phant0m

I don’t agree…

From all my observations, if people not all that knowledgeable in computing and/or comes home from a long day at work don’t want to be bothered by beta software with known and unknown bugs, and regardless if it is freeware there are good reasons for products to be shown as beta especially security software and especially if it hasn’t been tested internally, beta groups for lengthy amount of time to ensure all is well before even considering to remove it from the beta stage and releasing it publicly.

Does Jetico drivers lock internet when the GUI isn’t running and by default? If this isn’t the case, Jetico big bug that causes Jetico process to crash without any alerts or messages of any sort, which means I were wide open to the Internet, what do you think many would say on this? Especially if they weren’t around (like in bed or at work) away from the computer when this anomaly occurs?

Three Types of users you say, well I guess my type haven’t been listed then, I had experienced the anomaly and I investigated some into the anomaly, I uninstalled it, I had went onto the flux message board and had posted my experiences in bit of detail, I also post here and giving bit of information and link to topic on flux with my posts regarding Jetico, nooo I guess I don’t care? You are wrong, I like Jetico for the half hour of use, I really liked Jetico, and I still like Jetico and I hope this problem can become fixed in a short period before it can cause anyone any damage…

21. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

And I don't really think it matters much if they call it beta or not at this stage. I can't think of ANY firewall out there that doesn't have bugs and problems of some kind. At some point they had to make the decision to release it as 1.0, based on user feedback.

I guess if they give away free licenses to involved users then that's fine. I personally wouldn't mind paying for it either if I like it a lot and it suits my needs.

22. nameless

We're comparing apples and coconuts. You're talking about a potential misleading non-beta designation; and I'm talking about there being nothing wrong with Jetico making JPF into a commercial product at some future point.

It would be nice if they admitted their commercial intentions up front, yeah. And it's really bad if they know it's beta quality, but purposely removed the "beta" title. No arguments there, but I'm not sure they had an intention to deceive.

But unless you make sure that Jetico knows about your bugs and issues to Jetico, rather than some random internet forum, you can't complain if they pass you up when they hand out free licenses. That was my point.

23. Phant0m

Reason why I didn’t contact technical support is because I know others who experienced this anomaly had already done so, and afterwards, posting on the forums I had people getting the info and reporting the anomaly regardless.

You said “active beta testers”, does this mean upon a bug report, already been reported, a hand out free licenses is giving? Or does this mean you have to be reporting some unknown bugs first. How long is the licenses good for? Couple of months, year or?

24. forester

forester Guest

this firewall absolutely does not support restricted users configurations.
    probably developers assume that we are all using Windows XP Home or something like Windows 98. why they write of support of NT/2000?
    simple user account can modify firewall settings. why?
    this allow kids to disable firewall settings, or even guest user.

also, i don't sit under administrator account at all, only when i need to install something, and typically i use "Run As" feature not switching users.
    Jetico show errors when User Group account is logged on - cannot write to "c:\Program Files", oh what a surprise. when i tried to change directory it crashed.

i don't know how can be security enhanced with this Windows 95 oriented firewall. to use it, i must give all users Administrator privileges, so they can install trojans and other internet boosters. also, they will be able to disable firewall.

absolutely lame firewall.

25. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Why don't you tell that to Jetico?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.