jetico or netveda??

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by zfactor, Mar 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i am using outpost with my trial about to expire , if i cant find anything else i like i will end up buying outpost. but would like to get feedback on these two. any input here would be appreciated. also what would these compare to with the likes od tiny 2005 or tiny 6 are these anywhere near as effective or as complicated thanks so much all

Last edited: Mar 28, 2005
  2. zfactor

also what kind of resources do these two use?? thanks again

3. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

You may find some of your answers in the following:
    Jetico
    Netveda

Regards,

CrazyM

4. zfactor

that answered some questions for me. i am concerned about the uninstall of jetica any problems here?? i really like outpost but just too many problems here. one to many bsod's for my tastes. kerio was also good but very high on resources and a bit buggy for me id like to wait on kerio 4.2 but who knows when that will beo_O seems like a lot of trouble with netveda, jetico looks very promising but i dont want a uninstall nightmare like some others we will not mention here. thanks for any other info on this.

5. Arup

Arup Guest

Have un-installed Jetico many a times on two of my PCs without any issues, you have to make sure to shut down Jetico before taking it off your system, as a further precautionary measure, delete the Jetico drivers left behind by selecting show hidden devices under device manger. They are with the BC title.

6. RGHC

RGHC Guest

Jetico just released a new version today, 29th March!
    Jetico Personal Firewall 1.0.1.57

www.Jetico.com

7. I havent tried Jetico....but I have been using Netveda for the last week or so

I have had no uninstall or install problems with it...most of the problems people

have had with it...have been operator problems. Netveda has a forum with

very quick replies. So far I've been very happy with it.

It offers many features for a free firewall...

Great filtering....Logs....and App control...Out of the box already set up for

almost any type of use.

8. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Change log looks like they are sticking to bug fixes and small feature enhancements. Password protection and improvement to the rules editor are being saved for a pay version. I wonder if the number of "app wants network access" requests has been cut down.

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Diver - On that, I kinda doubt it (cutdown on network access popups). I was hoping to see some good features in upcoming 1.0 versions. I hope they don't go to a pay version soon. But I suppose they're entitled to after all their work...

10. Diver

Diver Registered Member

All this sand box stuff is not ready for prime time. It may sound logical to prompt every time a new program runs, but in actual practice it does not work as either the thing has to be shut off during installation of new programs (and the trojan piggybacks in then), or the user will just hit yes over and over again until Kazaa or a screen saver is running. Either totally lock up the machine with a kiosk browsing utility so your kids cant mess it up, or use your brain, cause none of this automated stuff is smarter than a smart human, yet. I mean Jetico would give me warnings when I opened a window in explorer and clicket on a menu box. Who cares if it passes every leak test? I can turn off my modem and nothing will get out either, but taht is disfunctional. And it is not just Jetico, it is the whole crop of these things, including LnS, Tiny you name it. All of this concentrates on the concept that a trusted app will be used to communicate out. Like Stephan said, what if the trojan installs a communications driver? The sand box will do nothing for you because it gives as many messages when installing legit software.

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I would have much preferred to see the sandbox and leak test oriented stuff stay out of Jetico altogether, if I had my way. Would have been better if they just kept it a straight firewall like Kerio. Too late now though...

12. I think your bias is showing. Jetico appears to be designed in mind to beat leak tests with process control and all that jazz. You already have your CHix, dont be greedy :)

13. Arup

Arup Guest

I fully agree, for instance Jetico would pop up if I am trying to access the explorer>tools and by the time I have created a rule, I have to restart explorer again as it freezes up.

All the sandboxing takes the pleasure of running a PC out.

Kerio 2.15 rules when set with BZ rules.

14. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

It IS nice that there's so many choices out there... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.