Java runs with different integrity level in Internet Explo. vs. low integrity Firefox

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by MrBrian, Feb 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

How does that relate to this thread? The issue is that it runs at the wrong level, not that it's out-of-date.

2. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

By the way, can anyone confirm this? If it's just like with Adobe Flash Player, then for sure it is possible to enable Java on a per-site basis.

If someone could open IE add-ons manager, right-click Java's plugin and choose More info, and remove * from the allowed domains/sites, then it should make IE alert the user that xyz domain/site wants to initiate Java, and then add that domain to the allowed list.

This for sure would be a great way to also mitigate possible problems.

3. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Technically that's true, although the thread also veered into other issues related to Java safety in browsers. Apologies if it bothered you.

4. MrBrian

I wasn't able to type individual websites into the text box. Could you?

5. m00nbl00d

It doesn't work like that. Remove * from there by pressing Remove all sites (something like that).

Then, go to some website (legitimate website, of course) where Java is required. IE should warn you a website is asking to start Java by displaying the yellow bar on the top of browser, right below the bar where one can access options, etc.

If it is like Flash Player, then that's what should happen.

P.S: I know it's off-topic, but the same appears to be possible to do with Windows Media Player plugin.

6. MrBrian

I removed all sites, then browsed to a few sites requiring Java. Java ran in all cases.

7. m00nbl00d

Just in case, have you tried to close and re-open IE? I'm not sure it would have any effect on it, though.

I wonder why the option to remove all sites is there, if IE still allows it? It doesn't many any sense to me.

What I described happens with Adobe Flash Player. I thought, considering there's the option to remove all sites from Java plugin, that it would make IE ask for permissions.

8. MrBrian

Yes I did restart IE after changing the settings, but it didn't seem to matter.

9. m00nbl00d

Well, that just sucks. Why the option, if it won't have any effect o_O o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.