iyogi ad in PAID AVAST!! arghhhh

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zfactor, Jun 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

im amazed by this, i cant even comprehend people's complaints here... ur blaming avast for trying to improve their support by offering another way to get it, HOW DOES THAT MAKE ANY SENSE? thats like asking a company to not improve their product because u payed for it as is, that is essentially the argument ur making.

ok so according to u guys, iyogi's service sucks, that can be fixed at some point by using a different provider, i dont know how many times ive had to repeat this but nobody seems to realize that, but having a little note that informs u wer to get help if needed is a great thing.

2. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

@firzen771: Personally I have expressed a whole different thing.

3. firzen771

maybe, but many people are complaining simply because thers an ad.

4. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Don't click on it. How many times in the past have you used phone support for Avast!? If nobody uses the service, Avast will get tired of paying iyogi and pull it. Simple. ;)

5. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

I don't use avast. Never have and certainly won't now. This discussion is about the "principle" of the matter and frankly i quite shocked by the tunnel vision shown here by some of you. I always thought "spamming" was frowned upon and sorry folks but this is pure spamming.

When my internet goes out and i call my ISP so see what the heck is going on, i don't want the CSA trying to sell me car insurance :rolleyes:

6. ALookingInView

ALookingInView Registered Member

This.
    If no one expressed their outrage your precious paid AVs would be next.
    Before long you'd be hard pressed to find a single AV vendor that didn't serve up ads in both their free and paid products.
    We've all come to accept ads in all the free AVs, everything (including free) has its price.
    Ads in paid ones do in fact cross the line though, sorry if some of you fail to realize that. o_O

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  7. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

While I agree with the spirit of this comment, the reality is that advertising has already intruded into many facets of our lives where we have paid for a product. For example: commercials that precede a movie in a theatre, catalogs in your airline seat pocket, promotional product inserts in your monthly utility bill, etc. I see the behavior of AVAST as no different than these cases. To the extent that such tactics raise revenue for the company, they also contribute to holding down costs for consumers.

In a free market, consumers who dislike the behavior of a company have a choice: take your business elsewhere.

8. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Tobacco said he doesn't use Avast!. He is just lurking.:ninja:

9. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

They came first for the free AVs,
    and I didn't speak up because I wasn't paying any money.

Then they came for the paid AVs,
    and I didn't speak up because, well, I didn't care.

Then they came for all my security programs,
    and I didn't speak up because I had a life.

Then they came for me
    but by then I had my own advertising agency...

10. trjam

trjam Registered Member

:thumb:

11. firzen771

ITS NOT EVEN AN AD!, its a service that is being provided to you by an outsourced company hired by avast, this isnt advertising you to go and buy a new phone or something....

if the service provided by iyogi is trying to be pushy then thats a different matter, get that through ur head, ther is nothing wrong with a tiny informative box telling u wer u can get phone support, the only problem it seems it iyogi sucks and that is a completely DIFFERENT issue that can be dealt with, but remember THIS ISNT 3RD PARTY ADVERTISING, iyogi just happens to be the provider because avast does not have the infrastructure for it.

do u know how many software vendors use hosted servers from different companies for various things, are u gunna complain to all of them for not having the resources to build and house all the servers themselves, i doubt it since ther wuldnt be many products left for you if u did...

12. J_L

J_L Registered Member

The amount of selfishness in this thread amazes me..

13. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

it is an ad when you call a company that is trying to sell you things OTHER THAN AVAST services.. and trying to get people to take a yearly type contract BEFORE helping with the issue at hand. i would not mind the ad otherwise to be honest if it was actually for FREE avast service but this is only free for 30 days after which they want you to buy a service to use.. iyogi offers you things for all kinds of stuff even regular household electronics, tv's etc...and yes i CALLED them. actually 4 people did. 3 of the four had pushy sales people acting (imo) as service.. the 1 who had the better experience with them (i was also on the line listening) got NO WHERE with the "tech" it was simply mostly canned answers and in the end his answer was simply to uninstall and reinstall avast... not really solving the issue at hand imo. honestly i had better experience with the norton india tech who was not all that great either.

installation of avast is basically done by itself. you start it and install unless you want a custom install which for the average person they should just install the full setup. i know people who are NOT AT ALL computer savy and they were able to install it without issues. they simply download it and click the exe and reboot. i dont feel in anyway like i am selfish here. i dont see other av's having ads for third party stuff in their av's.

as i have stated im sticking with them for now and waiting to see if what vlk said will happen where you will be able to turn the ads off or similar. if not i may look elsewhere. other wise i really like my avast av...

i dont see why it has to be right there on the front page though. put the ad in the help section i would care less if it were there since i dont go there hardly if at all.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  14. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

it's now called ADvast? :D

15. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

So they should be doing this for free, without earning a cent from it? Of course it is costing iyogi money to provide the service, but how dare they even think of trying to make some money!

Well that does not make sense to me...

But, if they did not offer a paid service - how would they be able to provide free support for 30 days?

So why the hell are you so concerned about the iyogi support when seemingly the majority of users will never have the need to call them?

As it is has been clearly stated here several times - it is NOT an ad.

Does it really matter so much where it is. If you don't need tech support then don't call it, and get on with your life!

Pretty simple really...

16. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

you have your opinions and i as well as many others have theirs that also see this as a ad... this will go now where imo so anyone who wants to close it may do so. if anything changes im sure i or someone else will start a new thread.. im sure this will just continue in the same stuff over and over. personally i refuse to use any software that IS PAID FOR that has ads running in it this includes all companies like foxit reader for instance yes it has a ad that i can simply turn off in the tool bar. any of the free software i use that does have ads well they were free and i know thats how they make money. i feel if i pay for a program they should not be asking for more and more from me. if iyogi was saying "thank you for calling avast tech support" than maybe id feel different

17. roger_m

I fail to see how listing a number for tech support for Avast can be called an an ad.

18. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Please take a moment and look at the ad in post #1

19. firzen771

and that has long been changed...:cautious:

20. roger_m

Yes, I already saw that, and if you choose to call it an ad that's fine. I guess it's just a matter of opinion.

21. ALookingInView

Priceless.
    First I'm a "farty old drama queen" and now I don't "have a life".
    All because I took exception to being marketed to whenever I opened up my paid AV.
    As far as I'm concerned your opinion on this matter means nothing to me, you're pretty far removed from it all with your FREE AV, ya think?
    Save your little personal attacks and your precious opinions for someone who actually values you and/or them.
    :-*

22. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

Seriously this discussion is going nowhere ...And we should stop attacking each other !! Why you good guys shouting here? I guess you should have all these words at Avast forum, may be they'll notice all this thing easily at their forum.

23. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Actually, everything needed to be said could have been said in a few posts. Despite the fact that it is entertaining, I think the Mods should end this thread.

24. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Well, I don't think I literally directed those comments at you, but you know what they say about if the shoe fits... :)

Truth is, I mean no personal offense towards you. I merely don't agree with getting upset about something in the avast UI.

No need for either of us to be nasty. My comments were largely in jest anyway. My apologies if I've offended you.

:thumb:

25. ALookingInView

Exception was taken to some of the posts as I obviously didn't perceive them to be in jest.
    Anyway, no harm done -- apology accepted, I offer up mine as well.

Certainly a pretty polarizing issue and the two sides will never see eye to eye.
    Some are outraged, the rest can't fathom what all the fuss is about.
    People with dissimilar opinions, nothing new.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.