iyogi ad in PAID AVAST!! arghhhh

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zfactor, Jun 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

I have this banner on one of my machine and I just couln't careless. It's not going to bite me and I am not watching the Avast GUI every 15 minutes anyway.

2. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

as u can see in this quote above, they do not have the infrastructure in place yet to support this kind of a service, they can't just wake up one day and say "hey, lets start doing free phone service" and it just happens. it will take some time till it happens, till then they are testing out how useful a phone service may potentially be, and this is the fastest way they can have one up and running FOR NOW at least.

3. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

By the way, where on the avast web site does it say if you pay you won't see an ad?

4. Technic

Technic Registered Member

Bad bad move. Their so called support is getting even worse. :ouch:
    First automated messages from email bots, now pushy human bots. :-*

5. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Not surprising.
    Outsourcing to India is common.

With people trained to talk like Americans, including accents and names !

Was it Symantec's India staff who used MBAM for 'support' ?

Those Indian companies have to make money too.
    Not really their fault. If you outsource something you'd better do it right.

6. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

My issue is not that support is outsourced (as long as they are knowledgeable and helpful ) but that the "outsourced support" is "allowed to SPAM ADDITIONAL PAY FOR SERVICES".

This is wrong for people who have paid for licences and who are only looking for help with their avast antivirus program.

This does not sound definite or inspire confidence to me. I see no timeline mentioned such as "this outsourcing is temporary for 2 months until our inhouse phone support will be in place, etc". They "are trying" this approach. Not "temporarily using" this approach.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  7. ALookingInView

ALookingInView Registered Member

Ads in paid AVs are about as common as four leaf clovers growing in concrete.
    AVAST Software might've in fact broken new ground with this gem to its paying customers.
    I'll let everyone else duke it out over this now though as I've had it.
    Refund to follow, I could care less even if they remove it as I've already moved on.

8. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

My question was posted to the OP, zfactor.
    But good idea for you to move on. Your decision to use avast must not have been based on very much if you get worked up over a little ad that most people don't even notice unless they are staring at the UI.

9. firzen771

and i completely agree, as i said in most of my posts in this thread, if the provider isnt good (idk from personal experience cuz i didnt try it) then avast shuld find a different support provider, i never said that they shouldnt if thats the case.

as i said,
    of course, if this turns out to be completely unsuccessful and nobody tries it, then im sure no company would go ahead with plans to create an entire infrastructure around something that nobody will use.

10. ALookingInView

You try paying for avast! only to be greeted by an advertisement embedded on the main page of the GUI a month after the fact and then tell me it wouldn't bother you. ;)

11. firzen771

it wuldnt bother me, because id think rationally and see that its an ad for a service to its users, not like its an ad for pepsi or something.

how good that particular service is, is a question of its own and can be dealed with, but having an advertisement telling u wer u can get phone support is a great thing IMO and i dont see how anyone can possibly see that as a bad thing.

it amazes me that people are against a company providing u information on a way to get help if needed for the very product it is being shown in, which makes sense.

12. RobZee

RobZee Registered Member

Regarding the opposing viewpoints, suffice it to say that "...Never the twain shall meet..."

13. ALookingInView

Easy for you to say, you didn't pay for your copy. :p

14. firzen771

lol u pose ur question and say "tell me that wouldnt bother u", then wen i do, u use an excuse like i didnt pay for it? dont put out a question if u dont want the answer that isnt urs.

15. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Are you sure you've moved on?

No need for me to "try paying". I can tell you it wouldn't bother me.

16. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Good - could you then please provide me with your email addresses so i may make a few dollars selling them to a spam list since
    :D

17. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Aside from the brief set up period we go through after we install our AV, how many times do we access the main GUI over a period of a year, assuming we don't get infected? Not more than a minimal amount of times I would assume. The nooby will go to the main GUI often during the first month or so to learn what's going on in his AV, and might need help explaining something the Help folder didn't satisfy. What harm would it do if he could call support and possibly get his answer, while at the same time, the savvy users will only see the AD a few times in passing? The way some of you are ranting you'd think they posted your social security number or something. :D Besides it's only temporary. :p

18. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Well, for one, the "paid avast licence holder" would then be subjected by support to the availability of additional paid services which "have absolutely nothing to do with avast"

So to spell it out for you, paid avast users who need and seek phone support will now be "SPAMMED"

But that's alright?? Right?? :rolleyes:

19. ALookingInView

Oh I've moved on and the chances of me looking at avast! again in the future are pretty slim.
    Mr. Steckler ..dropped the ball on this one ..to put it nicely.
    As far as my continued interest in this thread, well I just couldn't help myself to be quite honest.
    It's like staring at a 5.0 car pileup on the interstate as I drive past...

Without having doled out actual cash money for a product only to be further marketed to in your paid product no less, well
    ..guess it's one of those "you had to be there" kind of things.
    Easy for everyone and their grandparents to say it wouldn't bother them without having actually experienced it.
    But hey, if you wouldn't bothered by an advertisement in your paid product that magically appeared after a definition update well
    ..you must not care if someone you trusted walked up to you and stepped on your toes either.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  20. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

The main problem here is that Avast itself is trialing iyogi. They are trialing a service handing out their main value...their paid customers. My opinion is that they should be already certain about the quality of iyogi's services before they start inviting us to use the service.

And then about the whole advertisement issue. It's a matter of principle for me....if I pay for something this should be mine or at least the agreement between me and the vendor should not change during my subscription. Although I have read the agreement some months ago ( when I bought Avast ) I don't remember something written about advertisements in the product. So this could be a violation of the agreement. I have to find and read it again to be sure though. So if they wanted to do something the right way they should change their agreement, inform the potential clients before and in general this should apply only for new customers or those who renew.

At the end I don't really care that much about the ad. Certainly this thing will be a parameter to consider when I'll have to renew my subscription.

21. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Bunch of drama queens. Farty old drama queens.
    Had to look at an ad, can you believe that? :isay:

22. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

Agreed

It's not yours. You don't own any software (except what you publish yourself), you pay a license fee or a free license is offered for you to use it under agreed conditions.

BTW, Is anyone complaining about the "ads" on the avast! credits page?:rolleyes:

23. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I don't use Avast or any other antivirus software, either free of paid.

If I was to use the paid version of Avast, that ad would not worry me at all.

Not at all! The simple fact is that the presence of the ad in Avast does not concern me at all, and in all honestly I am very surprised indeed that yourself and some other posters here have a problem with it...

24. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Wow,just WOW!

Seriously,I've never seen a bunch of people here act like children,complaining about such a small matter.

If you spend that much time lookin at an ad,then you seriously need another form of hobby or like I've said before,step away from the computer!!

We're slowly but surely losing peoples ability to communicate on a person to person level.

I'm so glad,I've learned enough about security,that I dont need an antivirus ;)

As for the rest of you all complaining here,Good luck,you have alot to learn.

25. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

I was talking in general (about other goods too...a matter of principles)...about Avast there is a license and an agreement behind it. This why I said that at least the agreement during subscription should not change. I don't know if the whole ad story exists in the agreement...I have to check it.

In any case you are right about the "ownership" of Avast.

WoW..thanks for letting us know. Very informative post. :thumbd: :cautious:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.