Ivy Bridge, (The Good The Bad and The Ugly)

Discussion in 'hardware' started by DVD+R, Oct 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I decided to share this link for people who are considering upgrading their CPU to the new Ivy Bridge Series, or for those that already have, a review on the expectancey of Overclocking, or just the Performance expectations. There are 10 pages in all in this review, I sugest you read them all thouroughly :)

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i7-3770k-i5-3570k.html

2. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

These OC a lot better when you do a better job attaching the heat spreader to the actual CPU. I wont be moving to a desktop Ivy bridge unless they fix this. I like to mod my desktop as much as any geek but ripping off a heat spreader and reattaching it correctly is just a little too much to attain more performance.

I REALLY hope that the socket 2011 Ivy bridge CPUs do not come with this issue. If they do that will be my next CPU.

3. Sir paranoids

Sir paranoids Registered Member

hemmm reminds me of the old AMD k62+ cpu's on the heat spreader topic,its good for geek points but i wouldn't bother.

as for the link to the review in question buddy only hit 4600mgz imho he doesn't know what hes doing or "B" the cooling setup blows.

looks like it was the cooling setup you don't air cool something like that.

buddy hits ike 90C on his tests max recommended by Intel is 74c and imho id stop the computer at anything over 60c.:argh:

atm im ruining a water cooled Intel core 2 4000 mgz at max core voltage ^^ never gos past 50c full load. i can push it harder as well if i wanted but its nice to have a pc that can run for a week with out turning it off and its stable.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/picture/?src=/images/cpu/core-i7-3770k-i5-3570k/3770-4600.png

4. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

If your thick enough to spend $100's buying a new CPU just to de-lid the thing to get 3 or 4 degrees better performance, then you deserve to be Guillotened :D

5. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

No reason to move from Sandy Bridge. I can hit 4.8 GHz with a minimum of effort. Ivy bridge would offer me nothing. I would rather spend the money on larger/faster storage.

6. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

@xxJackxx
    Exactly. :thumb:

7. Sir paranoids

blah, next cpu ill get will just be a i5 2500k i think, they seem to do the trick and for a decent price.
    as well 5000mhz shouldn't be a problem on water cooling you what your doing and i know i do on that topic ;)

the net ivy bridge doesn't seem to run much faster then the older cpus though i haven't really looked in to it, seems to run hotter as well for some odd reason.:blink:

8. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

In my opinion it's a waste of money buying 2500k now. I would buy an Intel CPU next year when Haswell goes out.

9. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

i5-2500k is still a good option in my opinion. You should even be able to hit 5GHz on air with a good enough cooler. I have had my i7-2600k to 4.8GHz on air without much heat. I only backed it down to 4.6 because 4.8 needed more volts for no return on performance.

10. Sir paranoids

Mostly i do network security research of late so im kind of out of the loop as to whats hot/not atm in hardware land.
    As for computer hardware in general i tend to be a fan of wait for it to get cheaper so i can get a deal off cregslist or something like that.

I really don't mind waiting for a feu years for the good stuff to get cheaper,never have really.:D

You know how state of the art works in computer hardware? it means your $3000 computer 3 years later is worth $500 :D

As for the next upgrade i think i would add in a gamer mobo + 16 gigs ram + oem sound blaster x-fi top of the line + geforce 560 gtx~ti 1gig ram with that ;)
    As for the rest ill just recycle.
    I got a room full of the stuff.
    When i wake up in the morning im tripping on motherboards and pc cases.

I all ready have the full size water cooling kit and with one i should be able max out core votes {as recommended by Intel +7%} on a i5 and peek the mgz some-ware around 5000mgz and never see more then 60c under full load on all cores after 15 min of burn in testing @ ambient temp 30c.

That's the difference when it comes to water cooling vs air.
    Best air cooler setups last i checked can handle something like 125tdp ish tops,full size water cooling setups can do like 2x better.

As for basic water cooling last i looked in to it the cheap way to go about it with no fuss is the Corsair H80.
    H100 if you want a bigger rad though it only changes things by like -3c at most but the twin 120" rad douse make the setup look sexy :cool:
    that will run you up about $100 Us dollers or so with tax,full size kits are about $300 for the good stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.