I've been using Norton for years, Please tell me there is something better out there?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by oddworld, Apr 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Re: I've been using Norton for years, Please tell me there is something better out th

As expected, the response I got from Symantec tech support indicated TOTAL incompetence.

1. First, they addressed their response to "David". I've been called many things in my life, but never "David".

2. They totally did not understand the issue and instead pointed me to a Symantec KB article that has nothing to do with the issue.

I've sent the following response:

2. Howard Kaikow

Re: I've been using Norton for years, Please tell me there is something better out th

Yes it is and it's easy to prove.

That info is no different than the info shown in the status screen.

Not so.
    The count is shown as 1 if the file size is not greater than 2147483647, otherwise the count is 0.

For example, on another drive, I have a directory with 2 True Image files. One is about 24GB, the other about .6GB.

Right clicking on the directory and asking for a scan, the Summary shows a count of 1, BUT, and I do have a big butt, momentarily a screen flashes by that has a "2" on it. The screen disappears and is replaced by the Summary screen that shows a count of 1, and the Activity Log shows a count of 1.

I suspect that the "2" is the number of files NAV TRIED to Open, and that '1" is the number of files it actually scanned.

This is easily reproducible.

3. Howard Kaikow

Folkes, a reminder, I've been investigating the problem in NAV 2005.
    Anybody try to reproduce the result with NAV 2006?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2006
  4. Howard Kaikow

A good possibility is that NAV is actually able to Open the files, as the size of a file really does not affect Open. But, there's that big butt again, while trying to scan the file, an error is encountered due to the file size, which causes the scan to cease, and the "scanned files count" does not get updated.

5. Deepak

Deepak Registered Member

Howard .. did u try what I told ... that is create a new text files .. then the size will just be 0 bytes .... scan it using NAV and the count will be shown as zero ....

Also ... this is the same for NAV 2005 and 2006 as this is caused because of a Liveupdate patch which was meant for both 2005 and 2006..

I wish I could send you the screen shots to prove my point ...

6. Howard Kaikow

No need too.

I tried your experiment, i.e., created a 0 length text file,
    Scanned with NAV 2005. Scan count was 1.

Perhaps, I do not have the latest LiveUpdate Patch.
    I'll run LU and try again.

7. Howard Kaikow

Ran LU.
    Repeated experiment.
    Same result, count is 1, not 0.

If you are seeing 0, then you may have the bug described in the following, which has nothing to do with the issue I've been addressing in this thread:

http://service1.symantec.com/Support/nav.nsf/docid/2004010716361106?Open&src=con_ols_nam

8. Howard Kaikow

I just sent the following to an individual in Symantec tech support. Hope that he is still with Symantec.

9. Howard Kaikow

Same issue in NAV 2004.

10. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I believe I already did exactly what Deepak says to do. I did so before I posted my comments in this thread. I right clicked on a file, clicked "scan with NAV", and it showed zero files scanned. I opened the activity log, and it showed 2 files scanned. That's when I uninstalled NAV 2006.

11. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

whats the big deal with this bug?

12. Howard Kaikow

You might be affected by the bug in http://service1.symantec.com/Support/nav.nsf/docid/2004010716361106?Open&src=con_ols_nam
    Might still exist in NAV 2005.

13. Howard Kaikow

There's at least two bugs being discussed in this thread.

1. The one described in http://service1.symantec.com/Support/nav.nsf/docid/2004010716361106?Open&src=con_ols_nam.

2. The one I found caused by file size being greater than 2147483647. THis is serious because it indicates that it is likely that such files are not getting fully scanned.

14. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Well, at least Symantec gave you a reply.....

I do like NAV, no doubts on the product, it has good detection, but the support in my country is really horrible, to the point that they don't even properly look at virus submissions anymore :(

Anyway, the way I see it, I agree with Howard on this, the bug could be pretty serious and should be looked into ASAP.

15. Howard Kaikow

I'd rather not distract this thread by a discussion of the lack of support by a vendor.

One good sign is that the email I sent to the individual at Symantec has not (yet) bounced, so his email address is likely still valid.

16. dallen

dallen Registered Member

There seems to be some confusion about whether this bug is prevelant in the 2006 version. I just want to emphasize that it is. I run SystemWorks 2006 Premier with the latest LU version and all of the updates. It's been going on for quite some time now. Also, during a previous installation of Windows XP Pro while running the 2005 version of SystemWorks I did have a problem with LU. When I say a problem, I mean that I received a weird error message indicating the LU failed. Upon two subsequent reboots and one more failed attempt at obtaining the update, I got a BSOD and had to reinstall Windows to remedy the problem. Since then, things have been fine. I have been a loyal Norton customer since 2002/2003. Now, I am about to leave Symantec because of the latest issue. Twice in the past week I've been surfing the web and I get an error that tells me a critical process within one of the NAV processes has caused NAV to close. I have ran the online utility to see if there are any problems and it finds nothing. Considering that I'm a pretty safe user and maintain my system fairly well, I consider this to be a Symantec related issue and suspect that poor coding is the cause. Of course I cannot substantiate this claim, but it is consistant with the problem many are experiencing with the file count issue.

17. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

And unfortunely for the current Norton users, things with Symantec won't get any better with it's products or customer support while they continue to dominate the market.There is absolutely no incentive to improve in all areas until they start loosing market share.There are many other quality AV's out there now to choose from and i'm starting to see many long time users getting fed up and switching so hopefully it has begun.Remember the days when there was 1 phone and 1 tv (cable) service.They sure had a cocky attitude back then.Now there's competition for the buck and i've noticed for the most part this attitude has changed.Hopefully Symantec gets the "wakeup call" also.

18. Howard Kaikow

Symantec maintains its market share by having a decent technical product and pricing very aggressively.

Don't know the situation in other countries, but in the USA, much Symantec software can be obtained for little, or no, cost after rebates.

If the other allegedly better products would also price aggressively, NAV would quickly lose market share.

For example, in 2005, I purchased Ghost 10 for $0, NAV 3 user edition for $14.99. In 2006, Partition Magic and NAV 2006 3 user edition for $0. All prices after rebates.

I do find that symantec quickly fixes bugs. The problem is communication with them. Their front line support is awful, and just try calling for info. THeir telephone equipment seems to have difficulty maintaining a usable connection wit hIndia.

19. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Yes I do agree with what your saying but i feel they built their market share from a few years ago when there wasn't the quality competition there is now.Years ago they were the best.Now there are choices that are just as good and a few that i would say that are even better.Their marketing is definitely #1!.

20. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

You mean they redirect support calls to India? :eek::eek:

Anyway, I'm pretty sure Symantec will get their "wake up" call when the Microsoft Antivirus is released.....

21. Howard Kaikow

Maybe.

22. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I was just lurking around over at dslr security forum, something I very rarely do anymore for personal reasons, and I found this thread. It concerns NAV and the discrepancy in the files scanned count. Interesting, especially the last two posts. Looks like Symantec knows about the problem, question still is, when will it be fixed.

23. Howard Kaikow

What is the "dslr security forum"?

24. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Try this!

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/security

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

25. Howard Kaikow

Thanx.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.