iTunes hanging on ipod connect

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Chippy, Jun 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chippy

Chippy Registered Member

Hi guys - please can someone offer some help or advice?

I have been using NOD32, itunes and an Ipod Touch for years with no problems. However, recently a strange problem has cropped up. Whenever I connect my Ipod to my PC (XP SP3), itunes lauches as it should but immediately locks up for a few minutes. It then comes alive again, but cannot see the ipod, so I cannot sync or do anything ipod related. If I disconnect the ipod whilst itunes is locked, it is immediately unlocked. So it looks like itunes is hanging on the ipod.

This seems to be a firewall problem (even though it's a USB connection!?!?) If I disable NOD32 temporarily, the problem goes away and everything works properly. It is not a Defense+ problem, because this is disabled anyway.

Does anyone know what's going on and how to fix this? Running with the firewall down is not a viable solution for me.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  2. ThomasC

ThomasC Former ESET Support Rep

Hello,

Try the following step two may not be nessarry.

PART 1 OF 2 – Adjust HTTP scanning.

#1 - Open the ESET Software, then push F5(Advanced Setup Tree)

#2 – Go to ‘Web access protection’ > ‘HTTP’ > ‘Web browsers’.

#3 – Uncheck all except for Internet Explorer and Firefox (You can uncheck IE and FF and GC if needed)

#4 – Go to ‘Protocol filtering’ on the left

#5 – Select ‘Applications marked as Internet browsers and e-mail clients’ then push OK.

PART 2 OF 2 – Optimize scanning

#1 - Open the ESET software, then push F5(Advanced Setup Tree)

#2 - From the setup tree, click Antivirus and antispyware ? Real Time File System Protection

#3 - uncheck Network Drives under Media to scan.

#4 - Click the Setup... button next to ThreatSense engine parameter setup.

#5 - Click Extensions and deselect the Scan all files check box.

#6 - Click OK to close the ThreatSense engine parameter setup window and save your settings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.