it's final Norton for me

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by larryb52, Dec 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

drweb is an antivirus
    prevx is NOT.

i think you are mistaken, PDM and Antibot are exactly the same software.

maybe you use KIS with comodo firewall?

or MAYBE you too use KIS with norton antibot, or maybe something similar like defensewall.

it IS stupid to have 2 softwares that are the same, waste of money.

whether you agree or not, i still find it stupid :)

2. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

"Prevx 2.0 Antimalware" - http://www.prevx.com/antimalware.asp

*ahem* You were saying?

Just to educate you, the PDM can be turned off independently from the rest of the suite, and an inferior behavior blocker when compared to AntiBot. A little too quick to jump to conclusions, my little man, and not too smart about it either.

Well, you're more than welcome to find yourself stupid for running two antimalware products together, if that's what you're trying to say...

3. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

just because its called antimalware does not make it the same, i think you need to read up on the software more.

also, you seem to know that antibot is better than PDM, how do you know this?

also i think you missed the post saying he has them BOTH enabled.

4. solcroft

Taking your own advice would sound rather prudent to me. I would advise that you learn the differences between the Kaspersky PDM and AntiBot before proclaiming that they're the exact same.

Chris, it's 3am at night, and I'm getting ready to sleep. Naturally I am enjoying a good chuckle now that you reveal that you don't know the differences between the two after publicly proclaiming they're the "exact same" and running KIS + AntiBot together is "pointless".

The PDM is composed of two dumb modules and one semi-intelligent one. The reg defense and app integrity modules act as standard dumb HIPS, while the app behav analyzer contains some smart analysis routines, but is otherwise not all that smart outside of its generic trojan/worm detection routines (Trojan.Generic and P2P.Worm.Generic). AntiBot on the other hand is a completely intelligent behavior analyzer, and monitors a wider range of actions than the PDM does. Experience of executing live malware against the two will give you how well each of them can be expected to perform against various types of malware. And then - if nothing else - there's always the user preference of using AntiBot in favor of the PDM and avoid having to deal with numerous prompts from the reg defend + app integrity modules.

5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

you seem to see differences between antibot and pdm but you think drweb is the same as prevx,

Funny, but its not April yet.

6. solcroft

Going by your logic, Prevx and Dr Web isn't all that different if AntiBot is supposed to be "the exact same" as the Kaspersky PDM. I'm glad you realize how ridiculous your logic is now, because like you said, no, it's not April yet.

7. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

When I had reinstalled NIS yesterday it never asked for a reboot. Sometimes it does ask if an update requires it or it is critical otherwise it does not get installed until the next reboot. If you turn update notifications on you will get plenty of reboot requests (FYI, there is a bug with the update notification where you cannot turn it back off).

As far as Hangetsu's security choices go, it is mild compared to other setups I see people running on this forum. I wonder how they get anything done with all that stuff running at the same time, lol.

8. Hangetsu

Hangetsu Registered Member

Meh, CSJ is entitled to his opinion; I just don't necessarily agree with him. ;)

The only issue I have with suites of any sort is relying on a single software maker to protect the PC. Most of the suites (by user request) are not a hodgepodge of tools anymore; rather, they are integrated components (like KIS).

Should KIS be compromised for whatever reason (malware, bad update, etc.), what's left to protect the PC? The only thing antibot does is monitor for processes that would appear to be malicious. Its an insurance policy should KIS go down - I don't want to run two AVs, two firewalls, etc.

You may feel you don't need any further protection beyond a suite, and that's fair. I prefer having some secondary protection beyond the suite, one that is extremely light on resources given its purpose. I think AntiBot handles that well.

9. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

We'll bring this thread to a close and wish the thread starter well with his choice of "Norton Internet Security".

Bubba

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.