it's final Norton for me

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by larryb52, Dec 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i do agree as much as i have dislaiked them in the past and even now i still have a bad taste even after honeslty trying the nis2008 and saying its MUCH BETTER than previous ones.. i can not bash them like that because for thos ethat use it and it works for its a good program overall

2. wildvirus88

wildvirus88 Registered Member

Proof? It's not hard if you consider VirusTotal results as truth...

~VirusTotal results removed per Policy.~

ALL problems with VirusTotal updating of Symantec database or I should ignore the real results I see every day in VirusTotal and in my own computer (yes, I install Symantec/Norton sometimes to test)?

Or you can say that VirusTotal doesn't represent the real detection...

Of 10 samples I get or receive Symantec/Norton detects 1 or ZERO. When I say that it's have a very poor detection I'm saying it with embasement. Maybe isn't too easy to poof about other AVs but about Norton I have no problems. For people that say have Symantec/Norton installed for years and got no virus I recommend to scan with Kaspersky, Avira or F-Secure... It can be a bad surprise for Norton users.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2007
  3. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

I for one have been using NIS for many years, and don't "appear" to ever have been infected. I run an online scanner at least once a month, including Kaspersky, and they've never found anything either. So I guess I'm a Norton user who's never had a "bad surprise". But I guess your mileage may vary.

4. Hangetsu

Hangetsu Registered Member

You're basing the effectiveness of the software on a small sample set you've selected? One could make almost any AV look bad in such an example. Go read the boards for NOD32, Kaspersky, hell any AV, and they will all tell you that no AV can catch every virus.

The only way to truly test is to run large-scale tests of known viruses, such as what AV-Comparatives and Virus Bulletin do, using thousands upon thousands of samples.

I'm not saying Norton shouldn't catch what you found, just that the situation happens with any av.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2007
  5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

Hangetsu, why are you using KIS and Norton Anti-Bot on the same machine?

seems pretty pointless to me. o_O

6. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I do not "hate" Norton, but avoid Norton AV for another reason: too many other people use it which makes it a target for hackers, similar to IE. I have no doubt that Norton AV is an excellent product, but the more "unusual" AVs such as NOD, KAV, f-Secure, BitDefender simply have much, much fewer folks out there trying to turn them off. With the exception of Microsoft Windows, I prefer the road less traveled.

Acadia

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Why (specifically)?

8. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i dont, its flawed

av-test and av-comparatives are the tests you should be looking at for detection.

and lately, anti-malware.ru

9. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Norton has really grown on me. The only thing I hate about it is that installing it usually goes like this.

install
    update
    reboot
    update
    reboot
    update
    update again
    reboot
    update

repeat about 20 times.

It is ridiculous. I think I could install a copy of Windows with less updating & booting.

10. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

11. zfactor

sounds actually about right lol

12. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

nope wrong, installed updated & booted once, that was it. Unless you've tried 08 don't speculate than criticize...

13. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Maybe the disk I used was old?(It came with a new PC I just got yesterday) Still, I had to go through about 10 separate updates, and about 4 reboots mixed between. Why?!?!?! A company with as many resources as Symantec should be able to package updates better and more completely than that. Why can't it combined updates better?

After you installed, did you manually run Live Update? I kept doing it until it finally stopped having available updates.

I have tried a lot of different AVs, and none of them were close to being this bad when it comes to updates/installs. I like NAV/NIS a lot, in fact I run it on all three of my PCs at the moment, but this is just one thing about their software that happens to drive me nuts.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2007
  14. kurchatovium

kurchatovium Registered Member

I think the really good sign here is at least Norton is listening to its customers and trying to address those problems that have been noted in the past. Mcafee could learn a lot from this.

15. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Not really.

AntiBot > PDM.

16. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

Same here (every time I installed NIS/NAV08 )

17. Hangetsu

Honestly? Its lightweight enough that having a second behavioral blocker on the machine isn't causing any issues. I know KIS pretty much covers it.

18. zfactor

i had nis2008 pre installed from compaq on one of my notebooks and when i first booted it did an update and told me to reboot i did.. then it did another update and another reboot then another update this time i didnt have to reboot.. after that there were times that after an update i still had to reboot..so yea ive tried nis2008 and yes i was instructed to reboot 3 times the very first time i loded it up. not everyone may have this issue. but i can others are similar like bitdefender makes you reboot a lot after updates its very annoying.

and if you read my post above that one i was actually saying how much better it is than previous versions but i still find it having to reboot a lot..

19. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

your right had to reboot last night after an update & just a minute ago after an update...

20. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

he thinks that 2 security software will make his computer more secure.

21. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yeah i know, i think its both pointless and a waste of money. :blink:

22. Hangetsu

I don't know about that. While I think KIS is very good, its not foolproof (no software is). AntiBot is simply a behavior blocker outside of KIS that - should something get past KIS - will prevent the intrusion from being effective.

As it takes up a minimal amount of memory and a small amount of processor time, why would this be useless (unless you feel KIS is impregnable)?

23. solcroft

So why are you using DrWeb AND Prevx? :rolleyes:

24. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ohhh here we go!.....(again)

this is not a question of MY setup, but someone elses.

shall go and use KIS and Norton IS?

should be secure then!

------
    thanks for your concern, but im very! happy with my setup.

ive tried them ALL and Drweb and Prevx2 is more responsive and less ram usage than ANYthing available.

you dont think its secure? lol

well, im glad i do the 'tried and tested' method of products i use, rather than hearsay propaganda. :D

Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  25. solcroft

No, I think it's unbelievably short-sighted to criticize other people for wasting money to pointlessly run two security applications when you're doing the exact same thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.