It’s baaaaack: WGA reappears on XP by design, Microsoft says.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by nadirah, Mar 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

It’s baaaaack: WGA reappears on XP by design, Microsoft says

Posted March 10th at 10:00 am |
    Tags: Microsoft, piracy, security |
    “Although users can tell Windows XP to ignore updates to Microsoft’s antipiracy technology, Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) Notifications will be offered again the next time the component is upgraded, the company said today.
    WGA Notifications, which was updated last month, cannot be permanently removed from the Windows Update list as a potential download, said David Lazar, director of Microsoft’s Genuine Windows program, in an e-mail interview. That’s true, even if Automatic Updates (AU) is set to the most restrictive posture of checking for updates but letting the user choose whether to download and install them — and the Hide update option is selected.”

link: It’s baaaaack: WGA reappears on XP by design, Microsoft says

2. KikiBibi

KikiBibi Registered Member

Why are people so concern about this? Are they hiding something?

3. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

I think so because it is posted in the "malware problems & news".

Gerard

4. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Probably because the test for a legitimate installation is presented as a security update.

I bet that WGA will be included in SP3.

5. ejr

ejr Registered Member

It's because WGA is SPYWARE.

I believe that this program calls home every time you reboot windows. Once it has been determined that you have a genuine copy of all your MS products, why does this product need to keep to calling home? This is a huge invasion of privacy. MS is basicvally treating all it's customers like criminals.

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I hate everything, what happened to Windows after paying for it and needing a looong serial number : Activation, WGA, what next ? Kill Bill ?

7. ejr

ejr Registered Member

I wonder if WGA is standard on VISTA?

8. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

I just don't see the problem with WGA checking if your Windows is legit before updating it.If you read your EULA from M$ YOU WILL SEE THAT YOU DO NOT OWN THE SOFTWARE.You in effect lease or rent it at best.If all the 007 secret agents around here have such important info. to hide get a microfilm camera and a Get Smart shoe phone.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2007
  9. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Re: It’s baaaaack: WGA reappears on XP by design, Microsoft says.

pugmug, as always you came with an interesting comment, to the point.
    Basically, that's the main reason i'll move out. I don't own the OS, and i have to check if i can do this and that... if my OS won't do this and that...

Basically, i'm not comfortable, i own the computer, the most important thing. Now i have to get an OS. Not rent one.

10. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

pugmug, you may drink Bill's propaganda with your morning tea, but I don't buy into the EULA diarrhetics. What I pay for is MINE. I OWNS my own CD with Windows on it and no vampire capitalist will tell me otherwise. MINE!

WGA Notification is genuine spyware.

If you have nothing to hide, why don't you allow remote assistance to your computer? I'll check only once every time you reboot. Nothing more.

Mrk

11. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

If privacy and spyware related issues are not important at all to you: go ahead!:rolleyes:

Regards,

Smokey

12. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

Then keep using and believing you own it,lol.

13. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

There is not and never has been anything private about computers or the internet.

14. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

At least i can control/own my own computer/OS. Geting what i want, running what i care, the way i want to / choose to.

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the thing is what MS should do is run it once every time you do windows update
    if its a illgal version then install WGA and keep annoying them. but if its legal then dont install but check next time you do windows update
    lodore

16. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

You may own the hardware but that is the best that can be said for computers.Software is a whole different animal.

17. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

How do you figure? Concerning "property".

18. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

You bought and paid for the computer which is just hardware,correct?Now the software you may have paid for but you do not own it,correct?You pay for the ability to use and update the software only.I will not even go into hackers and others when it comes to software.

19. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Ah, but that's the thing. You can own the software. Free software that you possess is yours. You can share it, change it, sell it...
    It's yours.

20. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

It is not yours.Even if you developed it and put a copy write on it someone will hack it. Look at M$ and all their money.Even they can't stop it.Open source where no one has to steal it because no one owns it is the key.

21. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

You control nothing in this life except your own body and you only rent that for a short time.

22. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Not open source. That's a misconception. Free software. Open source means the source is open, could be free or not. Most is, but that's not the right concept. Free software isn't freeware either.
    That really isn't the point. I'm not talking about hacks or security.
    A bit too much for the discussion.

23. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

Someone,please explain your post.Freeware isn't free?Also what else do you control if not your body for a short time?That takes into it lack of medical problems.You rent it as I stated.You and others may want to read this link as it is all in the preception of words. http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html Who do you think is correct?
    Or is this your site or you just like the avatar?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2007
  24. Seer

Seer Registered Member

pugmug and Someone, you have wandered a bit too deep in philosophy here. :blink:
    God knows how many threads on Wilders already dealt with this topic, so no need to discuss legal or illegal here or to read EULAs and ownership rights. I said this before, so I willl be short. A hint to everyone not using legit XP: stop and disable Automatic Updates service completely. Start using AutoPatcher XP. :p

Cheers,

EDIT: Another thing: XP is already patched pretty much so far, I noticed that MS is mainly delivering that Malicious Removal Tool stuff for months now. I believe that even if you don't patch your XP from now on to its last days, it will stay pretty much secure with all the third-parties we are using. I know that's not the point, but XP will not get much better, no matter what updates MS can think of. I believe you got my point here.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2007
  25. dylanfan

dylanfan Registered Member

http://www.heise-security.co.uk/news/86294

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.