it this normal for kerio 4 to be....

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by zfactor, Mar 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

such a resource hog? almost all the other sites i read info on kerio says it is so " light " on resources i just really dont see that with over 25mb being used. on my home machine 2gb ram p4 3.2 oc'ed to 3.9 on water w/3mb dsl connection it runs wonderful, at my retail store i own i cannot get either dsl or cable so i am stuck with dial up. it is just terrible trying to even browse the net. if i disable it, it gets a little better with it uninstalled it runs as good as i could expect from dial up. i have been on the kerio forums and emailed them and according to them my settings should all be fine. i have used previous firewalls in the past and have some experience configuring them; i am no expert but do know enough advanced setting to make a fairly secure firewall.

can anyone shed light on this ? know of anything else much lighter on the system, i do not like za or sygate much at all. not saying they are bad firewalls they each have good and bad about them i just do not like them so i am not bashing either of the two. i just would choose not to use either.

2. Arup

Arup Guest

I can tell you that Kerio 2.15 with BZ rules never goes up over 7mb in my ancient dual CPU P-III system nor on the Dual AMD 64 system. Add Winsonar or Abtrusion Protector for access control and the total still comes to a measly 12-14mb.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2005
  3. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Kerio 4 is a memory hog. Ah yes, 3.9 gigahertz and dial up. I hope your games run well, but the old sub 1 ghz clunkers I have around here will surf nicely with a cable modem, even if it takes a while to open the browser.

4. zfactor

no my home pc is 3.9 with a 3mb dsl connection. my store computers are 2.4c on dial up sorry if i mis wrote that one and what i am looking for is for my store computers. at home i have krioe 4 now and i do like it but yes it sucks up ram 25+ so far

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

When they talk about Kerio being light on resources, I'm sure they're talking about Kerio 2.1.5 and not 4. There's quite a difference between the two..

6. Hipgnosis

Hipgnosis Registered Member

Yes, 25MB is normal memory utilization for Kerio 4. It's because of that one issue that I am looking at other firewalls. The one I am currently checking out is Jetico. For the most part it is light on resources; around 7MB. I am seeing some possible memory leak issues with it though which cause memory utilization go up to between 15 to 18MB at times; still lower than KPF-4. I have sent information on this memory issue to the Jetico development team and they checking for memory leaks.

There is one caveat to the Jetico recommendation however and that is, it's not an install and forget it firewall. It will certainly require you invest the time to learn it because it is a much more comprehensive firewall with extensive configuration capabilities.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2005
  7. zfactor

does jetico compare more too tiny? do you know if kerio is working to fix this huge requirement? kerio 2 was awsome and required very little. i like the layout of 4 better and i am now tempted to try the new beta 4 but i really dont need any bsod's which everyone is complaining about on thier forum.

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I"ve tried the latest Kerio 4.2 beta 4 and dhcp isn't working right, if you can believe that. Kerio is blocking the inbound response from my dhcp servers. I reported the problem in the Kerio forums and the developer/programmer wanted me to install a packet sniffer and do some investigation. I told him sorry, but nope. It's not my job to debug their software.. :) I didn't come out and say that to them, but made a nice excuse why I couldn't do it..

Anyway, Jetico is nice. I'd stay clear of Kerio 4.2 betas until the final release comes out. As far as it's ram usage, I doubt that they consider it a problem. It will always stay at the current level. Many firewalls are in this usage range. Tiny, Outpost, Kerio, etc. It's not uncommon..

Jetico is probably a better choice if you're willing to spend a little time learning..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.