Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Thankful, Oct 4, 2008.
With statistics like these, from the 2 referred articles inside the main one, no wonder XP is still sticking around.
I bet security & other software vendors would have rather saved all their extra resources/revenues for the next O/S (Windows 7 i think?) instead of Vista compatibility that is shook some of their profits loose in a cause that might in the end prove out to be a loss afterall, and still is causing SUPPORT ISSUE problems with many of them.
Long Live XP/XP Pro!!!!
Agreed, Vista offered zip new functionality yes a bit of GUI but what else? I've used Vista so I know a bit about it.
IMHO, it is just a $ grab by M$. My plan is to keep xp forever even after Gates has dropped all support for it. I know guys still running windows 98 with no problems!
I hear windows 7 isn't going to include any major kernel changes so security vendors shouldnt have to worry too much.
Good to hear and hopefully true because they ALL have toiled greatly and finally have super TORQUED security so darn tight on NT systems like XP it's almost a waste of time of malware makers to search for new ways to penetrate all these new technological innovations that have literally smothered the scene for XP users and given these users the most variety and bang for the buck and have raised the bar so high for muck makers that they may have to regress back to settling to their former habits of soley cracking softs.
long live xp - too dont need their support
Well, that is some bad news..
Microsoft should NEVER stop supporting Windows XP.
IMHO, it is the best OS they have come up with to date.
It would seem that both businesses and home users are choosing not to go along with Microsofts software upgrade cycles. When businesses are struggling to survive and individuals are being hammered with high energy costs, foreclosures, and almost no job security, how can MS realistically expect them to shell out for both new OSs and hardware when their present computers work just fine? Vista doesn't offer much of anything that they don't already have with XP. Most businesses have come to the conclusion that the cost of switching to Vista isn't justified.
XP won't die just because MS drops support for it. 98 users know this game well. We've been there. We had support for our OS dropped, then reinstated because of demand. When MS did stop patching and maintaining 98, individuals and small groups took up much of the slack. When the big software companies dropped support for 98, smaller ones and the Open Source community gave us even better software. Now that official support has been over for years, only a few still write 98 compatible software or drivers and a only small amount of new hardware will run 98, thanks largely to the arm-twisting by MS. In spite of all this, 98 remains very usable for those who choose to use it. It won't be any different for XP. Software and drivers will be available for several years after support ends. Others will take up patching vulnerabilities and adding improvements when MS stops. As long as XP is compatible with the internet protocol of the day, it will remain viable.
Re: It just won’t die: Windows XP gets another six months
OMG just kill it already, KEEL IT!!! KEEL IT IN TEH HAED JOO FOOZ FOR GRAET JUTSIEC!!!11~
Vista is fine, leave it alone. The cause of 95% of Vista problems lie between the computer screen and the chair, the other 5% are Nvidia drivers and shoddy hardware.
The top Five reasons why Windows Vista failed:
I use xp sp2 with vista mizer for looks
Separate names with a comma.