Issues with server

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by basylica, Aug 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. basylica

basylica Registered Member

Hi, I'm trying to get this done this weekend, so i'm hoping someone might be able to give me a idea on this issue ASAP... :)

I've got a win 2003 server, and it's currently got a single 130g drive partitioned into 2 drives. A C: drive that is 10g, and a D drive that is 120.
    I'm upgrading the server because we've outgrown this ammt of storage.
    The D drive is mainly data (client info and the like) and it's the main problem, however the C drive is my main concern for copying.

I tried to use the clone option for this once I installed one of my new drives (I have purchased 4, 300g seagate drives. I plan on having one as my new C, and the other 3 as a raid array for the data, which is currently D)

I'd be perfectly fine copying the entire logical disk (C and D) to the new drive and then once the raid array is in place just moving all the "data" to the new drives.
    However, it seems no matter what combo of options I choose, it will not allow me to choose logical disk (0) as my origin drive. Instead it makes me choose "dynamic dives" as my origin, and it includes the NEW drive as well as the two old ones.
    So it gives me a error and says the old drive is signifigantly larger than the new drive and I cannot do this!!

When I try and choose disk 0, it says it cannot support the file system (I believe, right now the server is chkdsking...so I can't verify the exact message) and my only option is the "dynamic" one.

I'm pulling my hair out over this, and it's almost 3am!
    I'm going to give it one more try (once chkdsk is done) and head home for the night. I'll be up here all day tomorrow working on this.

I'd really rather not re-install the OS etc, because we have a few *very* picky programs installed, as well as it being a PDC with users, and it would be SOOOO much easier on me if I could just clone the drive...

I'm hoping i'm just having one of those 3am fits of stupidity, but i'm out of ideas :doubt:

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello basylica,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Server Disk Backup Software.

Please find the full version name and build number as it is shown here and let me know them.

Please also tell me if you have any dynamic disks on your server. I mean Windows dynamic volumes which are software based. You can figure out by going to Start -> Control Panel -> Performance and Maintenance -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management. Volumes of the hard drive(s) can be shown either as basic or dynamic.

Please also let me know how many hard drives were connected to the sever when you tried to perform the disk cloning process. What was the configuration?

I would also recommend you to try to perform the disk cloning process when booted from Bootable Rescue CD and inform me about the results.

Please also note that a possible workaround can be to create an image of your current hard drive (130GB) saving it to any type of the supported removable media (external hard drive, DVD, ect.), install new system hard drive (300GB), boot server from special Bootable Rescue CD and then restore your image.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Last edited: Aug 29, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.