Issues with CD drive

Discussion in 'hardware' started by redblack, Feb 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redblack

redblack Registered Member

Hi all.

I hope someone will be able to help me.
    Last night I noticed I have a problem on my laptop (bought 5 months ago): my CD/DVD +-RW drive doesn't read any type of CD (data, audio, photos), but it does read the DVD discs. I didn't have this problem one month ago (= last time I put a CD in the drive).
    I'm trying to trace back what may have caused this, whether it's due to software which has changed some important files in my system.
    Software I installed in the last month:
    - Avast antivirus
    - Spybot
    - Spywareblaster
    I haven't had any apparent problem with these, and any scan says I don't have viruses or spyware.
    Do you know whether Spywareblaster could cause changes in the registry that would produce my problem?

(Apologies if this does not make sense. I'm not expert so I am just trying to go by exclusion of each of the software above, hence I'll post this on their forums too).

The reason why I think it's a software problem, not hardware, is because the CD drive works fine with DVDs. Am I right to think that?

Apart from this, I'm happy with Spywareblaster. I installed it less than 2 weeks ago, so far no problems with spyware.
    Thanks in advance for your reply.

NB.
    The device manager shows no apparent problems with the CD drive.

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

It is very unlikely that SpywareBlaster is the culprit here.

Luckily, there's an easy way of ruling it out as the potential cause: Simply open SpywareBlaster, click the "Disable All Protection" link under Quick Tasks, and reboot your computer. This removes all of SpywareBlaster's protection, so if the problem still exists you can be sure SpywareBlaster isn't the cause. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

3. redblack

Thank you very much for your reply.
    I did as you say, but nothing changes. It was worth trying, though. ;)

I wonder if you have any ideas what it could be or where I can find help (forums, etc)...
    Somebody today told me the CD laser could be broken, but then how come DVDs work?
    Sorry, this doesn't regard Spywareblaster, but if somebody has a minute to reply I would be very grateful. If not, no problem, I understand. :doubt:

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Since it was not Spywareblaster, I have now moved this thread here to our Software, Hardware and General Services forum. Hopefully members visiting this forum that are knowledgeable about hardware that might not visit the SB forum will be able to assist.

Bubba

5. redblack

That's fair enough.
    I hope somebody will be able to help.

6. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Have you tried to reinstall the drivers?

7. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Have you tried doing a system restore or image restore (if you have)?

And what messages (if any) do you get when you insert a CD?

8. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

I think drive's that read both cd and dvd have separate laser's. The one that read's cd's may be shot. You should be able to grab a cheap len's cleaning disk from your local drug store, try that first. Is there any possibility this may have happened after playing a particular dvd?

GF

9. redblack

First of all, thanks for the replies.

Drivers: unfortunately I don't have them, as I bought the laptop through internet and I didn't get any driver discs.

System restore:
    Never done it before. Is there risk it could mess up the system?

When inserting a CD, the lights of HD drive and CD drive flash intermittently as if the machine knows there's something in the drive, and I can hear the typical noise of the CD spinning inside. After 30-50 seconds of this continuously going on, the lights go off and the cd stops spinning. If I go to the E: drive in My Computer, I can open it but the folder is empty: as if it was a blank CD. If I try to access the E: drive from the Command Prompt it says "the device is not ready". If I use the Diagnostics of my CD burner software it doesn't recognise that there's a cd inside (message tells me to insert a cd).

Laser: I happen to have a lens cleaner (bought for an old laptop but never used yet, it's still packed), I can use this then.
    I didn't know there is a double lens, that might explain all, unfortunately.

Last time I used the CD drive was about a month ago: it was a CD with DivX file. The drive could read it but didn't play it because I realized I didn't have the codecs for DivX on this laptop. Since then I didn't use the CD drive anymore until two days ago when I found the problem.

I'll try the lens cleaner first, unless you guys have some more to suggest.

10. Hairy Coo

Go to Device Manager-DVD/CD Drives-update drivers.
    These are Microsoft drivers usually,otherwise check your manufacturer for drivers on the Net.
    Also check Properties-it will probably say 'working properly' which of course it isnt.Probably linked to the Divx matter.
    Any cleaners may help after a gradual deterioration has been noticed,which is most unusual ,but cant see how they would help with a sudden stoppage.
    Also try chkdsk or Windows Repair,if Systems Restore doesnt work,as WS Fuser said.

11. GlobalForce

12. redblack

Hi there.

I tried with the lens cleaner CD, but it didn't work at all.
    The drive was acting exactly like it does with CDs, i.e. trying to read it for about a minute, then nothing (lens cleaner instructions say I should hear some music when it works).

For GlobalForce:
    I checked the links you suggested, but they don't seem to apply to my case:
    Link 1: the Device Manager shows that my CD/DVD drive is working properly, no '?' or '!'.
    Link 2: all the drivers in the 4 categories of the Details tab described in the link, I can find them in the System32\Drivers folder.

Questions:
    - if the drive is for reading/burning both CDs and DVDs, does it have to have drivers for CD operations and drivers for DVD operations or can it have drivers that do both operations?
    - Before trying to update the drivers, do i need to make a backup of the current ones? How?

Tomorrow I'll try the chkdsk/scandisk and report back.

Thanks for the help.

13. WSFuser

1. No it just uses one driver.

2. For XP, I know that when you update a driver it lets you rollback to the previous driver if you need to.

Also your current drivers are most likely just Windows default drivers; its probably not necessary to back them up.

14. Hairy Coo

Follow instructions post 10-right click on drive make-properties-general tab,working properly?Try the trouble shooter if relevant.
    Then Properties tab-enable CD digital audio.
    Then Properties Driver-is this Microsoft?.
    If so,Driver Tab-update Drivers-can Windows connect etc-No-next-install software automatically.
    It would be better to search your Microsoft CD,but your CD isnt working.

Can you restore the system to a time prior to this happening?Doubt if its hardware related.

15. GlobalForce

Unfortunately, we can't alway's trust window's opinion. Regardless of system indication's win won't necessarily inform you when there's corruption. If you wouldn't mind, download this no install, standalone to one of your folder's, run it. Clk your burner on the left, then clipboard. Paste in notepad, name and save. In the lower portion of your reply window you'll find manage attachment's, upload. Should be intuitive.

Since a drm related issue isn't out of the question, include a copy of nero's infotool output.

Bought five month's ago sound's like an active warranty period. Call support.
    In addition to the above; state the os, system cd based or preinstalled.

GF

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  16. redblack

Hi all.

I tried CHKDSK: it says there are problems with file system, run option /F.
    Running option /F, it tells me the volume is already in use by another program.

For GF:
    Please find attached the output of the two programs you suggested, for you to have a look at.
    My OS is: Win XP Pro SP2, preinstalled. Hence I don't have its installation CD.

Unfortunately my warranty certificate says 90days. I'm going to try and call them anyway, but if my problem is with hardware I'm in deep troubles! :(

One more thing I didn't say at the very beginning: my laptop had Norton Security System preinstalled with 90 days validity. At its expiry, 3 weeks ago, I uninstalled it and installed the security software that I have now (Avast, Spywareblaster, Spybot). Perhaps this info could be relevant to my problem?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2008
  17. WSFuser

Look at this page if you need help running chkdsk.

I would follow the instructions for the graphical version and also only check the first box (equivalent for /f).

18. Hairy Coo

With the option F command- a message will appear that says:"chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? <y/n>"
    Type y (for "yes") and then press <Enter>
    The /f command automatically fixes any errors encountered.
    The Nero drive tool,I think only tells the specifications of your drive,not whether its working-it obviously isnt,but Nero says Yes.
    Why dont you try the driver update as previously suggested.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  19. redblack

Just run the graphical version of chkdsk.

The problem with the CD drive is still present and I am going crazy. o_O

20. Hairy Coo

you seem to be ignoring some advice,but going for the easy options only

Previously suggested a few times

(1) Have you tried Systems Restore or similar

(2) have you checked the drivers.

Another alternative is a Windows repair.

If these dont work,just have the bleeding thing repaired professionally.

21. WSFuser

Also before deciding on having it repaired, consider just getting a new drive. Optical drives are very cheap.

22. GlobalForce

Go ahead Rb, address those system restore and driver update advices. I'll then pass comment.

GF

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  23. redblack

Sorry I gave priority to actions with lower risk to jeopardise my system because if it gets corrupted I wouldn't know much how to recover it and wouldn't either have the chance to reinstall Windows (since the CD doesn't work).
    However today I brought my laptop at work with me. A guy from the IT department was kind enough to help me updating the drivers - I mentioned to him about some advices I got from this forum. But the problem was still there.
    He kept the laptop for a while trying various other things -don't know what- then admitted it's a hardware problem. As someone mentioned at the beginning of this thread, apparently the laptop has two lasers (one for DVDs, on for CDs): in my case the one for CDs is broken and needs to be replaced.

I was really hoping it wouldn't be this the problem, tough luck. I wonder how it happened if I only used the drive 4-5 times.

Thanks for all the help, at least I learnt a few more things.

One last question, if I may:
    would replacing the laser require having to format the HD and reinstall Win and all other software again?

24. WSFuser

No. You can just take out the drive, replace the laser, and put the drive back.

25. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Don't worry, you won't have to install/reinstall anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.