Issues in creating my own XP Bootable disc?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Avec, Nov 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avec

Avec Guest

Hi,

I am about to create my own Xp disc to install on my computer, Using these downloads;

www.nu2.nu/bootcd#wxp

(BCD Fill Package 1.1.1 + Wxp10.zip + CDROMSI)

www.nero.com/nero7/enu/WNASPI32>DLL.html

(WNASPI32.DLL Driver)

The reason I am doing this is that my current computer has become unusable due to a nasty Virus infection! I still have my orgional WinXP serial, but i am unable to get at my setup up files in my i386 folder(XP HOME). So I was wondering if i get a friend to copy his Setup files will this be ok, or are they different on each computer?? I have been looking to see if it is ok to create a XP disc and i have found it is ok as long as it is used on the same computer.

www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/eula.mspx or

www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/eula.mspx

I would reall be very greatful for any advcie on this subject,

Thank you very much Avec

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I cannot give you legal advice.
    I can tell you only that a bootable Bart disk will work on any computer. Therefore, you can ask your friend to help. It's between you and Microsoft ...
    I guess legally, you can use the disk to restore your computer, then you should destroy the copy and create one of your own with your own Windows.
    You could also consider formatting and starting afresh, unless it's your personal data you want to save, in which case you should seriously consider this disk.
    I would suggest you also download drivers and plugins from www.ubcd4win.com, and create Ultimate Boot CD for Windows. These plugins and drivers go into the Bart folder (you can copy them over the original ones, but back them up first!), and will grant you a far wider variety of utilities and tools at your disposal, plus much better hardware recognition.
    The UBCD contains Ad-Aware, Spybot, anti-virii, HijackThis and more tools. You should definitely try it.
    Mrk

3. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

Your license will not work for ANY XP install CD. I have found that a license number will only work for specific version numbers of the CDs. So if you have an old XP Home license, and try to use it with a new XP Home CD, it will not work.

I would recommend starting here:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310994

4. roflmania

roflmania Registered Member

yup^

Microsoft couldnt be smart enough to give us problems:mad:

5. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    You can aks your friend to create the disk. Use the disk to rescue your machine. Give the disk back to your friend or destroy it. And then create the disk for yourself for future use.
    Mrk

6. Avec

Avec Guest

So I now understand that if i try and used my friends setup files it wont work, but if i download this;

Create the Setup disks
    When you download the Setup disks, the download contains only one large program file. When you run the downloaded file, it extracts the files. You receive the following prompt:
    This program creates the Setup boot disks for Microsoft Windows XP. To create these disks, you need to provide 6 blank, formatted, high-density disks.

Instead of putting these files on 6 floppy disks is it possible and ok to put these files on one Cd-r disk?

Thank for all your replys,

Avec

7. passing by

passing by Guest

can you copy your own i386 to your hard drive, if you can then all you need is to follow one of the slipstreaming methods like this one(you can skip SP1 or SP2 steps if you like)
    http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=295
    Otherwise you can copy your friend CD and USE YOUR VERY OWN KEY. provided that your friend CD must be same as yours, ie OEM ->OEM, XP Home ->XP Home or Pro->Pro etc. don't mix. This is what repair shops (in case of format/install) do they won't ask you about your CD instead they use their own CD BUT your own KEY from the sticker.

8. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    For installation, you'll need your own windows.
    For creating bootable disk for rescue, you can use any windows, which will work on any platform, although this might be legally inapropriate.
    Mrk

9. Avec

Avec Guest

Hi guys, i have reinstalled my OS and it is working very well! I have put alot more security in place so i dont get infected again, but i would really like to thanks all those who gave me and friend some excellent advice,

Thank you very much

A

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.