issue with updating ESS 4

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by voirin, Apr 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. voirin

voirin Registered Member

Hi, today I installed ESS 4.0.314.0 on a cleen fresh XP SP3 install. I restarted the system and went to the update section of the program. It said that 'update is not necessary - the virus database is current'. However the version of the database is 3832 (20090206). Why does it say update not necessary given the virus sig is out of dateo_O. Ok I hit 'update virus signature database' a number of times but nothing happens................................... I quit trying. 20 min later ESS tells me it has updated program components (which it never made me aware of whilst doing so) and starts performing a computer scan. However I still see the virus sig at 3832...

What is wrong with this ESS4? It seems unresponsive to updates and reports incorrect information in terms of both the virus sig and the database being up to date. All other apps I tried like kaspersky 2009 are responsive to manual updates and correct database sig information. It seems as though ESS has an inability to compare the date as reported by my system and the LOCAL database sig date and tell me that my database is possibly out of date. What's up with this application? Is it caught in some unresponsive temporal drift? This is unacceptable.

Any help most appreciated.
    Cheers, V

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Could you please PM me your username and password in the first place so that I can check your license and make sure it's working properly?

3. voirin

voirin Registered Member

Hi Marcos, thanks for the response. I am using the trial version, hence no official license.

I woke up this morning and found that it had updated to the latest database, namely 3984. Why wasn't I able to manually update to that db version last night? I am now also able to select 'update virus signature database' and see a progress bar. Last night I wasn't able to do this.

What gets me is that ESS4 seems to take actions on its own when first installed, including reporting things incorrectly like whether it is up-to-date and its db version. Is this intentional? It didn't sit well with me last night and I felt like going back to Kaspersky 2009, instead of purchasing a ESS4 license.

One other thing, I was previously a heavy NOD32 user way back then and loved its small footprint (that was until I had a virus slip through and went with Kaspersky out of frustration). That is one of the reasons I have been trialling ESS4. To my surprise I see that ekrn.exe is taking up a whopping 50MB. Is this normal? KIS 2009 takes about 20MB total on its two combined processes (avp.exe). I was hoping to reduce this memory expense, hence the ESS4 trial.

Any help appreciated with all comments above.
    Cheers, V

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.