Issue with (custom) XPS (Lap)

Discussion in 'hardware' started by MelarianRi, Apr 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MelarianRi

MelarianRi Registered Member

My sister bought an XPS a couple years ago right before she got deployed, and it's been through war, quite literally. A month after her warranty expired the computer completely failed itself several times and she keeps spending obscene amounts of money to get it fixed.

So she had to replace the fan (video card) and she thought she could do it herself, so she took her laptop apart and installed the fan. When she turned it back on the screen went from normal, to black, then back to normal every once in a while. Then about three hours ago, the screen went completely black and didn't come back, although the screen and computer were still running. A few moments of waiting later, the screen became, as I can best describe, stuck on a screen that looks like thick static on a TV (but frozen). So we turned it off manually and then turned it back on. The screen had a bunch of zeros ( 0 ) across it in a mild pattern and now once it gets passed the windows loading screen, it goes to the "safe mode" option screen and doesn't allow you to go up and down to choose an option (also has the Zeros on it ), simply counts down and then goes back to the static like screen and then black... Then does nothing. (Ctrl+alt+del does nothing as well)

Is this a problem with the screen (monitor) or is this a problem with the internal workings (keyboard/lap area)? I watched her take it apart and put it back like she did the first time and she put everything back correctly, but I can't figure out what the actual problem is to fix it. Is it the internal because the keyboard doesn't seem to be working, or is it the monitor because the screen keeps shutting off and freezing. Maybe it's both. If any one has any suggestions though, I would love to hear it.

(Fairly positive it's not a virus. She has Trend Micro and yesterday she was in the clear. But I'm not ruling out the possibility just yet.)

(not sure I put this thread in the correct area)

2. fce

fce Registered Member

there's NVIDIA issue on XPS model.

i think Dell extended +1year warranty from original warranty because of this NVIDIA issue.

3. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

Was she having problems with the monitor screen before she took apart the laptop? If not then I will suggest she did not put it back right. The LCD screen is connected to the motherboard, see if those connections are okay.

Some older XPS laptops had a problem with the Nividia graphics card GPU. If that is the case Dell will repair/replace it. I do not know what they will do now that you have already taken the laptop apart.

By the way, how did your sis find out the video card fan was faulty without opening the laptop?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.