Issue restoring image with TI 10

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by nettech_gt, Nov 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nettech_gt

nettech_gt Registered Member

I am having some flaky results after upgrading from 7 to 10. I created an image using 7 of a 200 gb hd and I want to restore it to another hd. I used the boot disc created with TI 10 and browsed to the image (located on a NAS in my home network) and selected it. Then I chose the partition to restore, but then the mouse froze and I got an error message that said, "the archive is corrupted". So I rebooted and ran an image verify and it passed. I rebooted and tried restoring the image again = got the same results. I rebooted again and tried restoring another older image of the same 200gb hd (also created with TI 7) and it worked just fine. So then I put the 200 gb hd I created the image of back in the computer and booted to the boot disc and created another image of it and ran a verify on it and it passed. I put the original hd I was trying to restore to, back in the computer and tried to restore the new image and I got the same error message.

2. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Did you create the image with ATI v7 or v10?

3. nettech_gt

I created the image in windows using TI 7 (build 638 ) its stored on a NAS. I tried restoring the image via boot disc created with TI 7. Because the the computer is "newer" the TI 7 boot disc dosen't have the NIC drivers for the NIC in this computer ( as I don't see "computers near me"). So I purchased the TI 10 upgrade and created a boot disc. When I boot from the TI 10 boot disc I have access to my network but then have the issues describe above. Also I tried re created the image using TI 10 and restoring it with the TI 10 boot disc and I get the same results.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2006
  4. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

To try and identify where things are going wrong you may want to test the following:

• Disconnect from the Internet
    • Disable all Firewalls on the Network
    • Create a Files & Folders backup of a small folder (say 100MB)
    • Create a TestArea folder and try to restore the backup
    • Now try to backup and restore the same folder between the NAS and the PC(s)
    • If that works start re-enabling the Firewalls one at a time
    Let us know if you have any success and at what point you can get it to fail again.

5. nettech_gt

What dosen't make sense to me is I was able to restore another "older" image created with TI 7 using the TI 10 boot disc. Yet the the image I'm having issues with did pass the image verify. After I restored the older image I was able to boot into windows and restore the "problem" image from windows. But I want to be able to restore it from the boot disc.

6. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

The verification process gives a lot of false positives. Time and time again, messages in the forum indicate this. The only true test is to restore the image to a spare drive and see if it boots.

7. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Unfortunately Ralphie is correct (almost), images will verify but will sometimes fail during restore. I say "almost" because it is not so much a "false positive" but rather a different process. The verify process is different to the restore process, which can mean that a backup verifies but fails to restore.

Not that knowing that actually helps anyone!! What everyone wants is the absolute knowledge that when the bad day comes that they need the backup that it will restore.

The truth is that the only backup that is 100% safe is the backup that you have already restored or at least test-restored.

Data files are easy, you can do a test-restore to a spare partition (or mount the image if it was a data partition), have a quick look and confirm that everything is OK.

The system partition presents a different challenge. The ONLY way to be 100% sure that system image will restore and boot is to restore to a spare disk; swap out the current disk with the spare disk and restart. If it boots you have a good image if it doesnt you have a problem - but at least you know that you have a problem before your system partition goes to blue-screen heaven.

;)

8. nettech_gt

So since I have been able to restore the "problem" image from within windows, I know its good. So how do I get it do be able to restore using the boot disc?

9. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Essentially the same way ... when you boot with the boot cd, a menu will come up and you then choose Recover or whatever it is called in Ver 10.

10. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Are the two images different in size?

Sometimes handling the large files that images represent is a problem. I had one NAS that failed every time with images that were larger than 2-3GB, but if you split the image into 1-2GB pieces, it would restore every time perfectly.

You might try splitting your backup image and see if smaller pieces allow the NAS to work with the Linux environment of the recovery CD.

11. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello nettech_gt,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Could you please try to copy the image archive that reports as corrupted to the folder on the local hard drive and after that try to validate/restore it?

Could you please clarify where did you store this image archive?

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.