[Issue] Firefox can't open links

Discussion in 'Sandboxie (SBIE Open Source) Plus & Classic' started by Mr.X, May 1, 2023.

1. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

FF (FirefoxPortable.exe) is the default browser and runs in a red box.

If I launch a sandboxed app and from within such app I click a link, FF launches and opens the respective webpage
    then
    if I launch another sandboxed app (or several apps) and from within such app I click a link, FF currently running opens the webpage on a new tab
    then
    if I launch another unsandboxed app (or several unsandboxed apps) and click a link, FF currently running opens the webpage on a new tab

All well and good but when I close FF and

if I launch FF first from its shortcut it opens and stays there as usual
    but then
    if I launch a sandboxed app (or several apps) and from within I click a link, FF currently running does not open anything
    and
    if I launch a unsandboxed app (or several for the case) and click a link, FF currently running does not open anything either.

Needless to say that everything works as it should if I run every testing app and FF unsandboxed.

LOL

TIA for your help

Setup is in my signature.

2. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

is this a sequel to
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thr...un-the-default-browser-to-open-an-url.448660/
    ?
    FF is firefox.exe, not firefoxportable.exe

your description looks strange, please dont use carriage returns. so i dont get the real problem, i only can tell you about general behavior.

so - the starter may start firefox.exe with -no-remote, anyhow i think firefox has to respond with an error message that the profile is in use.
    if firefox sandboxed is using the same profile as not sandboxed it might interfere that inside the profile is flagged as "in use" when its used outside.

firefox portable is not able to set as default without causing issues. you have to explain how you made the starter as the default "browser".

3. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

1. Ran a program called Portable Registrator
    2. Set the default browser on Windows 10, here, on Choose and app window pic Mozilla Firefox, Portable Edition
    db.png

You might do it manually if you know what reg entries to edit though.

I haven't seen any issues when I run it unsandboxed.

Last edited: May 1, 2023
  4. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Kind of. See, after considering what I read in this thread, I decided to open new threads to new discussions or issues. On many forums people and staff prefer to create new threads instead of extending the existence of old and long threads.
    No profiles or sync in this portable browser.
    No installed FF on the main system either.
    I use it only for other purposes such as opening strange random webpages etc.
    Also, when I run or install a new untrusted software in a special sandbox, at the end of installation the setup program launches the default browser to point at a landing page.
    I don't want any random app to open my main Chrome (not set as default) browser.

Last edited: May 1, 2023
  5. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

from the second scenario.
    this is what i have in mind when i mentioned -no-remote* for reason.
    you need to examine the command line call with a process manager.
    if you find this parameter then you have your answer.

making the portable starter as default browser - yes, i know all the reg entries - makes it different to firefox itself. the starter is not aware of other running instances, it just checks for a running firefox.exe

so i cant run it when using one of my installed build.

* -no-remote is not used as far i analyzed, its -new-instance when the flag ALLOWMULTIPLEINSTANCES is set to true (default is false).
    a new instance need a different profile - and this explaines why the starter copies the existing profile to another path - which is ofc damn stupid, because not needed if the starter have been programmed properly. very sad for a >1000 lines code tool.

conclusion for me: if you start the first instance before using apps, it tries to create another instance as descriven and this may fail.

notice: firefox is anytime started with the parameter -profile, you can NOT start the same profile twice or pass only addresses (url), the starter aborts when ALLOWMULTIPLEINSTANCES is false, or creates a different profile.

another conclusion: get a better starter.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.