ISP IP Tracking?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Brandonn2010, Nov 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

So if I understand correctly, your ISP, in my case Comcast, tracks every site you go to?

Does switching your DNS from your ISP, in my case to Norton DNS, not allow them to do this?

2. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Your first question is accurately answered as yes they can. Do they sit and watch you traverse the web, no. But everything you visit they can and usually do log. Yes, they can still do this even if you use an external DNS. Only by using an external proxy can you avoid that. In such a case it is still wise ((and in some cases required)) to change your DNS to either the proxy/VPN provider or another "safer" DNS provider. My understanding is that even if you use a VPN, it is possible for your ISP to log your DNS requests and therefore have an idea of where you're going, even if they can't actually see what you're doing while there due to the VPN/proxy.

3. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Are there any sites that raise a red flag for them and would make them start monitoring me? Why do they record every site you go to?

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Ordinarily, everything you do flows thru your ISP, so theoretically, they can see everything you do if they wanted to. They are probably obligated to log certain things (I don't know exactly what) due to regulations of some sort or other. Who knows....

I have heard that some large ISP's such as Time Warner and others are soon going to start monitoring P2P traffic, movie and mp3 downloads, and so on, anything related to piracy. They will supposedly issue a few warnings, and if you don't take heed, they can apparently cut your service or something similar. All in an attempt to curb piracy I believe. Perhaps they've already started, I don't know....

5. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Kerodo is talking about the "Strike Policy" that is actually now in effect. Here is an earlier article about the plan: http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/10/isp-file-sharing-monitoring/.

There currently are no mandated data retention laws in the U.S. Data retention varies by ISP, a general idea ((though not guaranteed to be accurate right to this minute)) can be found here: http://torrentfreak.com/how-long-does-your-isp-store-ip-address-logs-120629/.

What do they log? Well, of course your IP address ((past and present)), IP addresses visited, downloads, email activity included the addresses you send to and receive from and so on. Filters are in place for specific "areas of interest" that will get flagged by automated systems ((Information about the filters comes from people I know that work for two major ISP providers.)). Of course that's not really that important since the government has its own systems to flag such activities, that being something an entire thread could be devoted to really. Basically consider ISPs to be able to see just about anything they want, if they are so inclined.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  6. Sir paranoids

Sir paranoids Registered Member

my isp doesn't do that, and if a isp did start with me on that topic id change isp. :cautious:

7. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

VPN (No Logs) + DNS (German/Swiss privacy association). (FireFox)-(HTTPS Everywhere + NoScript)

This will cost you about $50-$100 a year.

This is really the only way to avoid your ISP safely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.