Isn't ther one that does it all

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by FRIEND, Jan 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FRIEND

FRIEND Registered Member

hello everyone, just curious, with many different spyware apps...isnt there one that does it all,not counting spyware blaster??'friend"

2. *Ari*

*Ari* Registered Member

Hello Friend

Why didn´t M$ do just one good OS and stuck to it :rolleyes:
    'Ari*

3. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi friend.

Well, it's best to layer your defences. I mean that if one fails the other will pick it up [presuming that both apps, whatever they are, do a similar task].

Bit like in winter, you just don't put on one BIG overcoat do you. You wear several "layers" to keep you warm.

Just like your system. Some of the programs do an excellent job, but they might just miss that *one* little piece of spyware/malware/etc. so the other can pick it up and trash it for you.

A lot of people rely solely on 1 app. an Anti-virus.

That's just not good at all. Should have at least a firewall, an anti-trojan program and a spyware one for the minimum apps installed.

Just my opinion :)

4. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi FRIEND,

Tassie_Devils is right IMO (as usual :))
    Even in defending yourself from spyware alone, the idea of using layers is a good one.
    Take for example Spywareblaster and (your new found ) CookieWall for preventing it from getting to your HD in the first place and using Spybot S&D to check if you´re still clean and if not: cleaning up the mess for you.
    The third layer would be something that prevents the spyware (that makes it to your system) from leaking information to the ones that designed it. This could be done by for example a firewall.

Regards,

Pieter

5. :D

Hello,

You can either go about it the hard (and expensive) way, and learn yourself, or you can listen to the experiences of others and learn..

Until last year, I never saw the value of "stand alone" products. I actually had the impression that stand alones were rip off, that the more features in a "utility suite" the better.

Boy, was I wrong!

In keeping up with the rules of this forum, I am not going to bash any of the products I used to use. Let me tell you, when I stopped using them, yeah, it cost me more money to buy standalones, but my headaches have lessenned, because they work, and I truly know they work. My life is on my computer. Even though I now clone regularly, if I executed a bad virus, or had a bad trojan, the downtime alone would be very costly. Besides, I am more security conscious.

Even though I promised I would not bash a product, I am going to say just one thing. Generally speaking, please don't follow the advice of CNET. Even on Tech TV which is basically CNET - TV, some of the views of the commentators there seem to be more in line with this site than CNET!

It cost me a lot of money to have "all in one's" that didn't do their jobs... Yeah, it cost me money to buy better stuff, but now I am at peace of mind, relevatively more peace of mind than before. With more programs installed, my system runs better, starts up faster, and is more joyful to use.

This site, and Mickey the Man's, are the ones I go to now to get my info... Here are some of the programs I LOVE!

1. Nod32 !

2. TDS

3. Spybot S&D..(Better than Adaware!)

4. ZAPRO 3.5169. (Finally, I like ZoneAlarm!)

5. MailWasher! (I could not understand the value of this program until I started using it last week)

6. Evidence Washer- It really does work.

7. System Cleaner.

9. Registry First Aid 2.5

As for All in ones, I had or tried...

Norton SystemWorks 2001 (Memory Hogger, SLOW defragger, and really puts TOOOO many excessive registry entries..)
    PC - Cillin 2002 (The firewall was very week)
    Ontrack Internet Suite (Or whatever it's called)
    McAfee Internet Suite (I'm sorry, but this was awful)
    and Panda (This was NOT something I enjoyed).

I especially get nervous when I see AV and Firewall combo's.. Either the AV or the Firewall are losuy, and in some cases, they both are...

I am really impressed with Spybot! Sometimes the best things in life are free! (Although I donated!)

Generally speaking though, the more computer savvy the user, the less they use "all in ones...".. At least that's what I observed.

No point in having something if it's not going to do a complete job, right?

6. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Since you brought up the resource hogs anyway Straight Shooter:
    I especially like the programs you hardly notice until they are needed and they save your behind (e.g. SpywareBlaster, BrowserHijackBlaster, Wormguard, Regprot, ScriptSentry, Adshield, Filechecker)
    Some of these even save that some part without you noticing it. Can´t have enough of those :D

Regards,

Pieter

7. Sorry, I tried hard to resist, but it's hard to not write about the "hoggers'..... :D

I do have Wormguard and Port Explorer.. Love Wormguard! Bought it as the Diamond CS special.. However I don't have any pop up stoppers because ZAPRO's utility does it good...Like I said, I can't believe I like ZAPRO myself. When it first came out (Ver 3), it was a monster! I guess they fixed whatever was wrong with it with 3.5169...

8. FRIEND

FRIEND Registered Member

WOW,,,THANK U

hello EVERYONE, THANK U for explaining to me, (as i said what I know is not much, what I DON'T KNOW IS ENORMIOUS,,this is the way i'am still learning,thank U & takecare,'friend"

9. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

DITTO
    YEP ~ Live and learn
    .....and ZDNET
    Check out http://www.nod32.com.au/ to see the shoddy Reviews on NOD32 they did, and had to retract [well half retract anyway, due to enormous pressure]

BUT Money well spent in the long run :)
    ABSOLUTELY, I LOVE IT. Oh I know there is some debate on the value of "Bounce/Delete" BUT I feel BETTER doing it, heh!

and of course, in general, if you are happy with YOUR set-up, then you worry less when online.

Nice post StraightShooter :)

10. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

Excellent choices ! :D :D :D ;)

11. JayK

JayK Poster

12. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

JayK and all posters:

When using the "quote" function, it is much easier to read a post when the poster has used the function correctly.

Ideally, when quoting another poster - that is what belongs in the shaded blue quote box with your comments in standard form.

Example:

Grape Jello wrote:
    Strawberry Shake
    I work for the CIA
    Yes. I always wanted to be a spy.

Get the idea? JayK's post was very hard to follow, so using the quote funtion properly helps everyone out. Thanks for your cooperation!!

All the best,
    John
    Luv2BSecure

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.