Is Windows Defender really of any use?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by qwerty12345, Nov 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Tested it against 63 fresh malware samples from MDL. It only detected 2 :thumbd:
    Personally I'm not keeping it.

2. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

with Spynet or no?

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Tested with Spynet Advanced On-Demand.

4. qwerty12345

qwerty12345 Registered Member

What makes it useful for IE8, because it scans downloaded files? Don't all real-time scanners (AV or AS) do that?

Why do you use it SIR****TMG, are there not many better alternatives?

5. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Tested again with more malware. It got 94/568

6. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I used WD for a long time on my smaller laptop & considered it an extra layer of protection. It had some interesting tools as well, like 'software explorer' which I found very useful once or twice. Along with Spybot it did miss a trojan on the laptop once though (caught by SUPERAntiSpyware) but even after I got rid of Spybot & Norton I kept WD running. Eventually I started to use MSE on the laptop which automatically disables WD when you download it. I have only ever used MSE on my desktop so WD is superfluous. I kinda miss WD in a way.

7. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

It definately works, It poped up with a nasty sometime ago and immediately blocked it

8. qwerty12345

qwerty12345 Registered Member

I checked the "History" section of Windows Defender, just to see if there was anything there. It had about two dozen entries, all "Names" were unknown, all "Alert Levels" were unknown. If I read the description it says:
    Which program?

What software publisher?

The only other information is under "Resources" where they each mention a couple of different registry keys.

The worst thing is that everything is set to "Permit" and I can't see a button to Deny.

What are all these actions it is allowing? How can I find out what each action actually is and how do I choose to deny any of them?

9. brhokla

brhokla Registered Member

I think the problem we all have is there are better free solutions currently then WD. I think it's useless to those that know better and probably better than nothing for those that are uninformed.

10. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

A friend of mine downloaded a cracked software, and his Nod32 v3 missed the TDL3 rootkit inside, but Windows defender didn't, so that was quite nice, but I've never seen it catch anything else, except one false positive.

11. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

imo its 100% useless, better go with a third party replacement or none at all in wich case it b like runnin wd :) but without the wasted resources.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.