Is Win7 in-built Firewall enough for us average Joes'?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by AaLF, Sep 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

This question is from a non-techo user of Windows 7..... me.

This is my favoured set up: WIN7 + AV + AppGuard + Win7 internal FW + Win7 Firewall Notifier.

I do not to care for external Firewalls or suites as I have a dislike for intrusive Hipsy stuff. And too many annoying bells & whistles. I have never bothered to learn how to "tweak" a firewall with all those rules and things. Nor do I wish to learn. I am a "set & forget" advocate.

QUESTION: Is a non-tweaked in-house WIN7 FW (with FWNotifier) sufficient for the average Joe or do the commercial FWs (inc. Sec. suites) have some "must-have" protection over the WIN 7 FW??

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

More than enough, unless you want outbound control, HIPS, and other fluffs (mostly for application control). In fact, an average Joe doesn't even need Windows 7 Firewall Notifier.

One can argue that the router (or other forms of hardware firewalls) replaces software firewall (like Windows built-in) altogether, as long as your network is clean.

3. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

I tend to not like any kind of HIPS. Isn't your appguard one? Any kind of HIPS can cause conflicts with other security software.

As I am old school and a bit geeky by nature I like making Windows firewall block unknown outbound connections too. It is not for the average Joe and TinyWall I am using as nice and easy it is, is not for them.

Good post by J L btw.

4. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

AppGuard is a policy-restriction enforcing programm, it cannot be compared to Online Armor or Outpost Pro or any other HIPS component in most internet security suites.

5. blasev

blasev Registered Member

yes , average joe like me better off with default windows firewall

and you already use Win7 Firewall Notifier(wokhan), so you can manage outbound. wokhan is my fav windows 7 firewall controler btw :D

6. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

No no no. AppGuard is very well behaved. Not like those Sec. Suites and Hips stuff that drive you crazy with endless chatter. AppGuard has an honored place in my own "Hall of Fame" security applications.

7. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

It's more than enough.:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.