Is virtualization the most ideal protection?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by rOadToIS, Dec 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

You bite and I'll slap myself. I screwed up royally on that post. If certain folders ARE excluded, there is a risk to the system. NOT if they ARE excluded *facepalm* *kicks self in hind quarters*. So let me apologetically amend what I said. Excluding is the best thing you can do, and it doesn't make things difficult, you merely save the changes you need and discard the rest of the changes. Miyasashi, I apologize for getting on you, you're correct on the exclusion issue. I didn't read your post properly and made a fool of myself. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to my corner embarrassed and won't be posting the rest of the day :ouch:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  2. Long View

Long View Registered Member

LOL DW426 . You almost gave me a heart attack with your earlier post and I'm getting too old to survive them like I used to :D :D :D

3. Miyasashi

Miyasashi Registered Member

dw426: I was reading your previous post and was like .. huh? o_O how is excluding folders safer than not excluding anything at all. lol

Long View: A is definitely safer, but to install something correctly you have to either exclude or turn Shadow Mode off. But still will a simple home-user add the registry file to exclusions?

Shadow Defender becomes extremely useful when used on a public pc or at work (When doing stuff you shouldn't be doing at work :p)

4. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Not sure why you ask if a simple home user will add the registry file to exclusions. I have a number of clients ( home users) using SD ages range from 9 to 86. when they surf they turn on SD protection. when they go to outlook to send or receive mail they do not turn on SD. when they install new programs they do not turn on SD protection. when SD protection is on and they want to safe a download they commit. why and in what circumstances would they want to add the registry to exclusions ?

By only using SD intermittently programs like avira can update when not protected.

Over Christmas my 9 year old ( daughter of a client) had no difficulty understanding how to turn SD on before going to her favorite sites. Funnily enough the only program to cause any problem on this new Acer laptop was the junk installed by McAfee. As this 9 year old tends not to use her credit card on line the only other security needed is an image of C: just in case she does something dumb whilst not protected by SD

5. Miyasashi

Miyasashi Registered Member

When installing a program :p! You'd still have to turn it off and I'm a nimwit... I'll forget XD I should get myself tested on ADHD lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.