Is Virtual Reality Secure?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Prince_Serendip, Jun 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

I am looking into places like ActiveWorlds. It looks interesting, like FanJ's tour of the Vincent Van Gogh Gallery! I'm looking for any info you might have. I especially want to know if their stuff is secure from a standpoint other than their's. Thanks in advance! :D

I took the plunge and picked up a freeware 3D plugin from Parallel Graphics called Cortona 4.0 and installed it. OS accepted it okay. (2nd time this week.)

2. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

~LOL~...Prince, this isn't like that 3-d active world where you get to pick what colour of dinosaur outfit you get to wear......is it?

3. Prince_Serendip

;) Hi snapdragin! When the fire gets too warm, I cool off surfing the Web. Lately, I've been checking out Virtual Reality sites. VRML uses ActiveX components so I was worried a little about the security aspects.

I checked ActiveWorlds. When I tried to d/l their browser plugin, my IE gave me a warning about the registry key not being fixed, so I didn't. I then checked Outerworlds and they seem like they got it together. No prob with the d/l of their browser.

I like the idea of virtual reality sites, sort of a walking and talking BB or chat room. It's also like a multiplayer RPG except the characters aren't trying to kill each other. It takes what we are doing here one to three steps further. I have a link to the Vincent Van Gogh Museum (got it from FanJ). They have a virtual tour and it's pretty good. I enjoy exploring stuff! :D

4. claire

claire Guest

Hi Prince Serendip,
    Is it possible to have this link to Van Gogh's Museum or is it
    "Cosmic secret"? :D
    I thank you in advance(even if the answer is no ;))

5. FanJ

FanJ Guest

6. claire

claire Guest

Thanks a lot FanJ :D

7. Prince_Serendip

:) Thanks FanJ, for providing the link. I didn't like Outerworlds as much I hoped. I was hoping the quality would be at least on the level of a multiplayer videogame, but it's nowhere near it. It's about the graphics equivalent of the first 3D Duke Nukem game. They put it all on a screen comparable to a Gameboy. It's also very gimmicky, 13 years and up. I try to stay away from those kind of sites. In that kind of chat room, it's small talk only. If I were to give a review on it I'd give it one star out of five.

It is a big Net out there, so I'll keep looking. To boldly go where someone as gone before! :D

8. FanJ

FanJ Guest

9. Prince_Serendip

:) Warmest thanks to you, FanJ for the above links, especially for the WebMuseum! I love the fact that they provide true close-ups of the work so one can see the details. We share a deep interest in works of this caliber, judging from the quality and directness of the links you provide. (This is lightyears beyond 3D and is a form of virtual visual perception.) I put these links into my Favorites Folder. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.