is toptenreviews still faulty?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by metallicakid15, Feb 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

In the first place you haven't shown anyone anything about detection rates except your obvious dislike of the product and your own personal opinion. If the detection rates of norton are as bad as you say get the links to some reputable testing sites and prove what you are ranting about. Personally I am tired of listening to your unsubstantiated claims.

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

tobacco,

I'm not defensive about it since I'm not a user on my home machines as well. NOD32 and KAV on various home PC's are my preference. Symantec is my employer's preference, so I use it there and it is fine in all respects.

Test results abound on the web, and most aren't worth the electrons they consumed in their generation. Some tests are preformed using well articulated and described test procedures and screening of the underlying testbed, those are the one's I pay attention to. They tend to fall in line with my usage experience as well.

I realize Symantec has issues, many products do. LiveUpdate can be a problem. In my informal assessment, again born of personal experiences, it is that deficiencies here are the likely cause of many user problems since most users are blithely unaware when LiveUpdate heads south on them, leaving them with outdated signature files. Lest there be users out there who infer from this that Symantec is alone in this regard, my wife and son have been equally unaware when their copies of KAV WS 5.0 spontaneously stopped updating as well. I caught this 3-4 weeks into the problem - more than once I might add - it's a well reported, but apparently low frequency, issue. I happen to have a couple machines afflicted with whatever is the cause.

Say what you will regarding Symantec, but detection rates are not an issue. I've pointed to a specific, reliable test that supports my view. Do you have an objective source for yours?

Cheers,

Blue

3. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

http://www.virus.gr/english/fullxml/default.asp?id=72&mnu=72

This tested everything including spyware scanners.And i didn't say norton's detection rates are bad.I said inferior which means not as good.And if you show me a few recent tests that show norton with the best detection rates, then i will say to you all that norton does deserve all the hype it gets.Fair!.

4. bigc73542

I don't know to many people that have much faith in the site you linked but here are some most knowledgable people here do respect Here and Here and Here

5. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Of course they wouldn't.They're an independant lab so they can put forth an unbiased test.Why do you think they included most of the products including spyware scanners?.All i'm asking is to be shown tests that show norton finishing with the best detection rates.The one you just included, norton didn't fair to well.

6. bigc73542

Tobacco, I don't understand why you can't see the results on these sites. On av-comparatives on demand test.

Kaspersky av 99.65%
    Norton AV 98.31%
    mcafee AV 98.04%
    Nod32 av 95.50%

7. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Are you looking at the On-demand comparative tests or the Retrospective/ProActive Tests?

8. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Bigc

I'm going to end the debate.You have your opinion, i have mine and we each have others backing up our points of view.But the biggest reason i'm stopping is i just realised you include a link to a Symantec web site selling what else Norton Antivirus.How convenient!.

9. bigc73542

If you are speaking of the link in my signature, yes it is convenient. it is not there to promote the use of Norton products but it is probably the best AV information site available. There is a lot of virus and malware info there that can be very useful to the average user and professional alike. That is why the link is there.

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

toptenreviews is sure faulty to me!

I amsure top 10 review is fraud and deceiving, nothing else. They are very clever to advertise useless utilities and hide it by advertising some good ones at the sametime, so any beginner thinks all their reviews are correct.

Modern business and advertisement has a lot of fraud element. I believe in consumers opinions provided they are capable enough to comment.

11. webmonkey010

webmonkey010 Registered Member

TopTenReviews is a scam

I know personally the people that run that site. They only put high paying products in their top rankings. I heard their CEO say to a company I was working for that if they didn't pay them more commissions, they were going to be dropped from the rankings.

Plus they run their own e-commerce store to sell the products they are supposed to be "reviewing". Don't trust them. Tell everyone you know not to trust them. They have made a lot of money creating review sites they are supposed to help consumers, but all it does is make them rich. Would you trust a site like that?

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Re: TopTenReviews is a scam

IT,s simply radiculous.

13. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Regarding Norton and what it detects.

I did see that 98% score.
    I think that they have improved lately.
    Correct me if I'm wrong here,but didn't Symantec recently hire a highly-regarded researcher? Peter something?

14. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Peter Ferrie, well known for excellence in dealing with polymorphics. :)

15. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

That's the name.
    Thanks Firecat.

16. metallicakid15

metallicakid15 Registered Member

why do you guys resurrect old threads :)

17. Firecat

Because some of these threads are UNFORGETTABLE! :D

@webmonkey010: Good post, thanks for the information. Out of curiosity, I just wanted to know which company were you working for at that time? :)

18. quding

quding Registered Member

Firecat may get something to do with firefox,haha

19. Firecat

Why do you say that? :)

20. quding

quding Registered Member

cat is similar to fox,so firecat is similar to firefox,haha
    only a joke
    by the way,do you work for NOD32?

21. Firecat

I get the joke now :D

And no, I do not work for NOD32. The link is just a tribute for the reseller who sold me a student license for NOD32 when my regional distributor refused and charged exorbitant prices even beyond the prices listed on Eset's site. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.