Is Threatfire Dead?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Brandonn2010, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

I've used both. Recently... well... less than a year ago when I started messing up with all this computer security stuff. ThreatFire was ok for me, tho I noticed it was delaying launch and closing of pretty much every single program and therefore increasing boot and shutdown times. Overall it did a great job when needed, no conflicts, very quiet and very customizable through custom rules.
    On the other hand, Mamutu was rather light and quiet aswell, tho it gave me more pop-ups than TF for common apps.

Now, I ditched both cause I personally don't like behaviour blocking since malware has to execute in order to be blocked when attempts to do something. At least a portion of the malicious payload gets into the system, so it's a no go for me. But that's my opinion.

2. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

Saraceno, atomomega...thanks for the help.

3. gery

gery Registered Member

i do not know if it is already posted here but they released the final version 7 of it. The fresh TF is out now and wonder how it performs

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

5. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

ThreatFire does give less alerts than Mamutu, but after a few days, both are very quiet.

As others have said, ThreatFire can be configured to lock down your system, and even act as a basic firewall (so to speak), alerting when programs are trying to access the internet. Good if you have no outbound firewall, you up the protection, install a program, and want to see how it interacts, if it requires connecting to the internet etc.

There are samples which can bypass both, but are these the type of files you'll come across? Most likely no.

Don't get me wrong, I'm an advocate of layered protection (AVs, sandbox, virtualisation, firewall), but if you gave me the simplistic choice of having just Mamutu or ThreatFire (free), or any free AV to protect me while downloading files and testing out programs, sure something may slip through, but I'd say Mamutu/ThreatFire would keep my system in a state where it could at least boot-up.

Both programs deserve far more credit for the protection they provide users. Do all of us here need a behaviour blocker? Probably not as we have more common sense than regular users, but still, these programs are very worthwhile if you share your system with other users, test out programs, download torrents etc.

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

It would be of some help if peeps with excellent General.dat files would shard them with us

7. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  8. littlebits

littlebits Registered Member

The product version is 4.7.0.48 but the file version is 4.10.12.31.

I'm not sure what version you suppose to go by, but many download sites used the file version not the product version.

Thanks.:D

9. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

Ok, I see now where the confusion came from, for me.
    Thanks taking the time for reporting here.

Anyways, I also missed the fact that this version is actually dated of January 2010 !! :ouch:

10. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

11. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

12. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Using latest TF last few days with Dr Web beta and PC Tools Firewall w/o any problem. This bugfix build is one of the best I have ever experienced. Moreover they have started to provide updates daily (1/2 times)...:D

13. Malware fighter

Malware fighter Registered Member

Does anybody has Threatfire update of database problem - when I go "smartupdate" it starts to update database( other modules are updated) - it takes long and system almost hangs - and nothing. I havent tried to let it go for couple of hours, but it shouldn't be.

14. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

15. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

16. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

I had this problem in the previous build. It has been corrected in present build at least in my case...:)

17. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

How is Threatfire x64 vs x86?

18. Malware fighter

Malware fighter Registered Member

I run latest version of Threatfire...

19. ichito

ichito Registered Member

20. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

Sociability issue? As in 'bad/unsocial behaviour'?
    Funny word to use for a behavioural blocker.

21. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.