Is this virtuaslization and if so (or not) is it any good

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by bgoodman4, Nov 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

For the short time I've played around with HyperOS, its okay. I created a number of partitions and installed directly from the disk and by cloning. Cloning is an easy step by drag n drop and hitting copy, once you change 'computers' its given a drive letter. Installing from CD is done with the CD installing to desired partition. Once you reboot you install HOS again onto that new 'computer.'

HOS is smart and will recognize what is in the drive. Moving documents into my spare drive changed it to a shared documents drive.
    You can also lock a drive meaning nothing can interfere with it or delete a system by highlighting and pressing the delete key or HOS menu. Delete removes files on that drive and changes it to a spare or documents drive to backup to.

To swap a system you just double-click the desired icon and press confirm. First time doing this HOS will go through a short process setting the system up to run.

Any drive can be backed-up and restored. Backups can be split or zip, rar archived.

You can use drag n drop or menu in all actions, HOS is extremely easy to use. HOS is also pretty indiscreet, installing gives you an icon on the desktop and notification area 'My Other Computers' you can also choose to have the names of your computers on the desktop in any corner.

FAT32/NTFS

As I'm the victor kiam around here I'm claiming the disk and using it on one of my machines at home. Its only using something and experiencing it for awhile that you can really see how it works and performs...

note this is the 2006 supergeek version and if I'm still happy with it in the future I will update.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  2. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

THank you very much for this, sounds like a decent program.

3. Fiat_Lux

Fiat_Lux Registered Member

Hi bgoodman4

I just want to tell you that I got a little up to speed with respect to virtualization software (I had to do some short tests of some of it).

I just tested the newest free version of "Oracle Virtual Box", it offers you the opportunity to let the USB driver and network driver installation be optional. As I were not in the mood to spend more time than necessary on the subject and since I got "VM Ware Workstation" 6.5 at the same PC anyway then I choose not to install the USB drivers. But from what I have seen of "Oracle Virtual Box" then it ran nicely when I installed a Win XP on the thing.

You have earlier uttered a question with respect to converting a physical partition to a virtual harddisk image. Exploring the "VM Ware Workstation" 6.5 I found out that it actually can convert physical machines itself, which "Oracle Virtual Box" can not do by itself (as far as I know). However that does not matter as there are tools that you can use to convert your physical partition/harddisk into a virtual image (and some also the other way around).
    "Paragon Go Virtual" is free and should allow you to make physical partition into a virtual harddisk image.
    Some of Paragons Software's paid software versions, will allow you to do the same or even more. If you buy the "Virtualization Manager 2010 Professional" then it ought to be able to do very much more for you. It ought to be able to both make physical partition into a virtual harddisk image but also it should allow you to mount backups that are made with Paragon Softwares "Backup & Recovery 2010 Free Advanced" and then turn that into virtual harddisk images.
    All this is really "cool" :cool:

Try some of it out - if you like.....

4. bgoodman4

That is really cool,,,,,I have downloaded both MS V PC & Paragon and will try them out as soon as I get a chance. The other program I have my eye on is Portable VirtualBox. I like the idea of not tying up a portion of my hard drive as it appears I would have to do with the other programs as they would require that I partition the drive.

I am very busy just now with work etc. so it will be a bit before I can get started but I am looking forward to finally doing so. Thanks for the info and encouragement.

5. Fiat_Lux

Thank you for your kind reponse.
    I do however think that there must be "some wires crossed here" or some misunderstanding.
    Neither "Virtual PC 2007" , "Oracle Virtual Box" nor "VM Ware Workstation" or using the Paragon program ought to need you to re-partition. I have not tested the "Paragon Go Virtual" (I used a better version and have not yest tested Physical to Virtual harddisc directly, but only through Physical to Paragon Backup and converted backup to Virtual harddisc) but from what I can see then the Paragon Go Virtual ought to be able to write to an external USB drive (instead of an onboard harddrive) from where you could copy the virtual harddisc image back to your computer, of course provided that you have the necessary free drive space available. But if you wish you can mount and run your virtual harddisc file directly from an external USB drive, I did that. I converted a 50 GB partition with 25 GB allocated space into a virtual harddisc (by means described above) and it were not like I had 25 or 50 GB of available free drive space on my internal harddrive - so I just ran the darn thing mounted as a file on/from the external USB drive (actually I used the external drive more extensively as I had more tasks to do and more computers running, so I first made a Paragon backup to the external USB drive by using Paragon B&R on one PC, then on another PC I converted the backup on the external USB drive to a virtual harddisc file on the same external USB harddrive (the free Paragon Go Vitual can't convert backups , comparison here) and then mounted the virtual harddisc as a file on/from the external USB drive) .

If you want a user manual for Paragon Go Virtual then look here.
    If you want to see a "Paragon Go Virtual" user flash Video for Oracle VirtualBox users (video presentation for Windows users) then please use the link at the bottom at this page or directly here. (Direct link : please notice that it is not your average SWF video presentation, even though it is in Adobe Flash format it is a 21 MB file so the page may take some time to load).

Also please notice that if you want to use "Paragon Go Virtual" with "Micro$oft Virtual PC" then I can not say for sure that the program will work with a 2007 version of Virtual PC, I don't know, it ought however work with a new version of Oracle Virtual Box. (reason for avoiding any further disussion here with respect to "Micro$oft Virtual PC" is that M.$. uses another "Micro$oft Virtual PC" than version 2007 for newer Windows and I have no info on compatability)

With respect to the harddrive partitioning then you ought not need any repartitioning as neither "Virtual PC 2007" , "Oracle Virtual Box" nor "VM Ware Workstation" or using the "Paragon Go Virtual" program ought to require that you re-partition your internal harddrive. (though you might need an external drive to act as go between to "Go Virtual", as I have done)
    The programs exists as any other program on your PC (apart, mainly, from any possibly interaction if you choose to install USB and/or network drivers for e.g. "Oracle Virtual Box") and the virtual harddiscs also exists in the form of file(s) on your drive.

P.S.
    My "Go Virtual" here were based on "VM Ware Workstation" as taget program, so while the second PC were performing the backup to the external USB drive by using the Paragon B&R program then I, on a third PC, installed "Oracle Virtual Box" and within the "Oracle Virtual Box" program I installed a working Windows XP installation to a virtual harddisc - and it seemed to run nicely on "Oracle Virtual Box". Using network I then by the use of a Paragon program converted the "Oracle Virtual Box" virtual harddisc into VM Ware format and used it on the "VM Ware Workstation" as I did with the converted backup. Principles ought however apply with respect to using "Oracle Virtual Box" as target instead , so I honestly can't see what the fuzz is about (not meaning you making a fuzz, I mean in general) with respect to the Portable "Oracle Virtual Box" because as I see it then people can just install the "Oracle Virtual Box" on their different systems and then mount and run their virtual harddisc files from an external drive - I just tested this (while writing this P.S. to you) - no problem running an installed version of "Oracle Virtual Box" with a virtual harddisc file from an external drive. I do understand the "smart thing" in being able to run an application from e.g. an USB stick but I in general do not need that - I can run my applications on my PC - but hey nowadays people don't even want to do that they want to run the whole darn thing on their mobile phone (when are they going to make a Portable "Oracle Virtual Box" for newer mobile phones like the iPhone 4 so people can run the whole thing from/on their mobile phone or handheld ? - ohhh , wait , I think that it probably already can... o_O :D :cool: ) ,
    gee I just found out (once more) : I think I am turning into one of them old geezers :D ;)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  6. bgoodman4

Thank you for your post.

I am not sure why but I was under the impression that most programs required a drive partition to be created for them and in some cases a number of partitions, 1 for each Vmachine. Not sure where I got the idea but I am glad to find out I was wrong about this.

7. Fiat_Lux

Well, your impression probably has come from the fact that some programs do or can use partitions. "VM Ware Workstation" can use physical drives , as far as I know, but that is an advanced option only.
    But the 3-4 programs mentioned here ought not require you to perform any repartitioning, though you might need a second partition or an external harddrive if wanting to use "Paragon Go Vitual" (or by other means) to convert a physical partition into a virtual harddisc.

P.S.
    Also forgot to mention that you probably will need to install "virtual machine extensions" (as drivers) in "Oracle Virtual Box" or "VM Ware Workstation" if converting a physical partition into a virtual harddisc. (One do in general need the "virtual machine extensions" installed on the guest O.S. when using the mentioned programs).

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  8. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Well it seems we do have an up to date HyperOS disk :cool:

...playing.

9. bgoodman4

Thank you for the clarification and further information.

10. Fiat_Lux

Paragon Virtualization Manager 2010 [giveaway] 9.5 Build 10515

Description doesn't say which VM it works with but it can :

· Migrate a Windows-based computer to a virtual environment (P2V)
    · Migrate from a virtual environment to physical (V2P)
    · Virtualize system from its backup image (P2V)
    · Migrate from one virtual environment to another (V2V)
    · Recover the OS startup ability after system migration to a different hardware or unsuccessful virtualization by a 3rd party tool (P2P and P2V Adjust)
    · Clone a partition or an entire hard disk
    · Exchange data between your physical environment and the virtual one, or between a virtual disk and its snapshots
    · Accomplish virtual drive partitioning (create, format, delete, move, resize etc.)

and it is free for the time being (so no cost trying - but of course since you do not have to pay anything you can't get your money back if not satisfied ;) ) .

Referred post gives download location as here or directly here .

Free registration for serial here .

11. bgoodman4

Thank you very much for this.

12. Fiat_Lux

Thanks ! , glad you appreciated it :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.