Is This Right??

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by kennyboy, Nov 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

I work with 3 snapshots. Primary, Copy of Primary and Working Snapshot. I wanted to try out a new Firewall, so booted to the Working snapshot, uninstalled the existing firewall as instructed, and installed the new firewall.
    After working with it for a few days, I decided to go back to my original firewall, so booted to the primary, thinking I would just copy it back to the working snapshot.
    What I found in the primary was that the original firewall was uninstalled, and there was no firewall present any longer.
    Surely, an uninstall in the working snapshot should not have affected the Primary.....or did I do something wrong?

2. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Uninstalling the firewall in the Working Snapshot would not have uninstalled it in the Primary unless you used the Working Snapshot to copy/update to the Primary. Good luck.

Acadia

3. kennyboy

Always careful not to update the primary unless I am sure I want to. If I had, it would have the new firewall installed, because the uninstall of the old firewall and install of the new one was done at the same time.

4. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

If uninstalling a program in one Snapshot also automatically uninstalled it in another Snapshot, then FirstDefense is definitely not working correctly and this is very disturbing. I would notify tech support immediately ... and PLEASE let us know what they say!

Acadia

5. kennyboy

Just a thought before I contact Tech support. I always install my programs on a separate partition. So....if I uninstall it would bypass FDR and uninstall the app from the unmonitored partition........wouldnt ito_O Really not sure about that though. It is a bit of a worry I must admit.

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

If your FDISR is installed on partition [C:], FDISR will only work for this partition [C:]. Any other partition will be ignored by FDISR.
    Why would you install your programs in another partition, than [C:] ?
    I can't follow you anymore, maybe Acadia can. :)

7. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

Your setup will limit FD
    All your snapsots will be effected if you do this. I would be worth installing encarta (v large) this way but not other apps.

rollback rx might suite you better

8. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

So, the firewall was uninstalled in the work snapshot and the files were removed.
    When you switched to the primary snapshot, the original firewall was not uninstalled, but the files were not found.

By the way, your concept of applications in a second partition is supported by eazFix/Rollback RX. It monitors multiple partitions. :thumb:

9. kennyboy

Erik. I keep my C. Drive clean of everything except the operating system. Always have done this. Makes fixing any operating system problems much easier.
    C Drive. Windows XP Pro only.
    D Drive Applications Only.
    E Drive. Data (Backed up to External)

Hope this makes sense to you now.

Not sure that Rollback rx is as good as FDR.

FDR has saved me a lot but havnt come across this before.

So.....does everyone here keep their applications on C. and doesnt that make C Drive extremely large and unweildy??

10. ErikAlbert

My setup is like this :
    Internal Harddisk1 - System Partition [C:] = winXPproSP2 + FDISR + Applications
    Internal Harddisk2 - Data Partition [D:] = only personal data, emails and email-address-books
    External Harddisk - Backup Partition [E:] = only backup images and archived snapshots.

As wilbertnl already said, I think you are better of with RollbackRx.

So your FDISR is installed on [D:] away from Windows ?
    This also means that your snapshots contain only applications. Am I right ?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2006
  11. kennyboy

No, My snapshots are of the C Drive. ie The OPERATING System. I only want FDR to protect the Operating system so I dont need Rollback. Apart from this one instance, it has up to now worked flawlesly. To stop any more confusion, I will try to replicate the previous result when I have more time.
    Thanks to all for your input.

12. ErikAlbert

Well, it's indeed confusing, since you have so many partitions.
    All your applications are installed on [D:], except your original firewall and your test firewall which are/were both installed on your [C:].

Primary snapshot = original firewall
    Working snapshot = test firewall

You decided to get rid of the test firewall.
    After copy/paste from primary snapshot to working snapshot you should have :
    Primary snapshot = original firewall
    Working snapshot = original firewall
    Unless you made somewhere a mistake.

A possible mistake could be :
    You uninstalled the original firewall in the working snapshot (good) and in the primary snapshot (bad) by mistake.
    You installed the test firewall in the working snapshot (good)
    You copy/updated from primary snapshot (without firewall) to working snapshot (good)
    Primary snapshot = no firewall
    Working snapshot = no firewall

OK. I will wait for your second attempt. :)

13. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I dont have this problem,I also have 3 snapshots like the ones mentioned, If I uninstall something while booted to either snapshot other than the primary, the bootback to the primary is as it was before, untouched with no software alterations. So you must have updated the primary or something

14. wilbertnl

The issue here is that Kennyboy removed an application that was installed in all his snapshots.

This reaffirms to me that it's better to never uninstall, I prefer to startover with a OEM snapshot.
    Kennyboy needs to keep an archive of Windows OEM at hand and any evaluation should be conducted in a snapshot that is a derivate of that OEM archive.

No uninstall, we say. :thumb:

The result of this concept is that you will have files of applications in D:\Program Files\ that are not properly installed in all your snapshots.
    Which may lead to confusion.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2006
  15. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

TO this I have to say nonsense. Frankly I think the problem stems from confusion overload with all the partitions, anchoring etc. How can you evaluate something, unless you try it in your system as it is now. So I tried an experiment since I haven't done this since installing the new version.

The setup. 1 partition C: with 2 snapshots: Primary and Rollback.

1. I imaged just in case.
    2. I booted to my secondary snapshot Rollback
    3. I uninstalled KAV,Online Armor/w Firewall,SSM and Super Antispyware
    4. I installed F-Secure Internet Security Suite 2007. It installed and was running fine.
    5. I booted back to Primary, and it was just like it had been when I left. KAV, and everything else was there, and there was no trace of F-Secure.
    6. I did a copy/update from Primary to Rollback, and then booted back to Rollback.
    7. Rollback was then again identical with primary. No trace of F-Secure.

There is indeed no problem whatsoever with FDISR, and I would suggest if someone is having problems with FDISR concepts, they will be just as bad off, if not worse with Rollback.

Pete

16. wilbertnl

Who said that software was the cause of Kennyboy's problem?

Kennyboy has a different philosophy of Operating System, Applications and Data than most of us. Nothing wrong with that, but he needs to be aware of the consequences of this structure.

Why do you say that Rollback RX would not be better? I assure you that multiple partitions on the first drive are supported and monitored. I have tested that.

If C: and D: both are monitored and you switch to a different snapshot in C: you will find the status of D: changed to how it was at the time you took the snapshot in C:. Yes, read this sentence again!

17. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

VERY interesting stuff, fellows, keep it coming! So, am I to understand that for a "normal" user of FD, a normal user only having a single c:partition, that FD will still behave the way that it is supposed to? I have never had any problems will either installing or uninstalling new programs; whatever I do in one of my Snapshots DOES NOT affect any of my other 15 Snapshots, and it never did! :cool:

Acadia

18. wilbertnl

Acadia, you have nothing to worry about in your setup.

19. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Thank you, wilbertnl. That's what I kind of figured, but many of you have become much more expert in this program over the past year than I could ever become because of all the testing that a few of you have done, testing that I would NEVER even consider doing! Testing with partition programs, Imaging programs, other "instant recovery programs", etc. Thanks for your confirmation.

Acadia

20. Peter2150

15 eh?

21. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

But one of them is my Freeze Storage, so maybe I only really have 14?! :p

Acadia

22. wilbertnl

Yeah, Peter,
    Acadia doesn't do what you and I do. But he accomplishes something that we won't. :blink:

23. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

24. kennyboy

Sorry to have caused all this confusion, but I have discovered something interesting. As I said in my opening post, I have 3 snapshots. I was only considering 2 of them when I posted, but I have now booted into my Primary backup snapshot, and.......the firewall has gone there too!! ie. NO firewalls installed at all.
    From what you are all saying it seems that the cause may be because I am using my D partition to install my Applications to.
    I am actually amazed that more people do not do this as it does keep the C Partition very clean. Also, if it is wrong to do so, why would there be an option to change the default installation directory on ALL programs. Anyway, the operating system seems to get everything it needs to run the Application wherever you install it.
    I think Erik might be slightly misunderstanding the setup. Although all my applications including FDR are installed in the D partition, FDR most definately ONLY monitors the C partition. That is what it was designed for and that is what I use it for.
    I will have to have a re-think however on FDR because using it as I do seems to run against the whole idea of the snapshots being totally untouchable.
    Interesting concept though!

25. Peter2150

Nothing to be sorry about. These topic's prove to be very educational.

Re partitioning there is no right or wrong. I keep it simple and don't partition. I have a 500 gig c: drive with just the one partition. Everything is there. I've been doing this for 5 years, and have yet to have a problem. It just keeps everything simple. Works for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.