Is this normal??

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by noobby, May 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noobby

noobby Registered Member

Why is Spywareblaster not protecting me against ALL spyware? I'm running the latest version and the latest updates. I can enable all items, but when I check later, especially with Internet Explorer open, I have 209 items that are not enabled. When I check, I see that all the Cookie "types" are unchecked.

I've reset every setting and it doesn't seem to help. Is this a bug? I've gone through my cookies and don't have any of the cookies listed, so I don't know why the Cookie setting is being unchecked in Spywareblaster.

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Would you mind posting a little something about the programs you use for protection....Anti-spyware, Anti-virus, Firewall....Kerio o_O

3. jrhut

jrhut Registered Member

I just registered for this forum and this question is asking what I need to know. The original poster has not been back but I am hoping for an answer. I have noticed that the 209 cookies in IE that are referred to will not stay protected when I shut the computer down. I check to enable all protection and everything stays until shutdown. I have looked everywhere and can not find anything on my machine that is doing this. I run Ad-Aware SE Personal, Spybot search and destroy, Microsoft AntiSpyware, ZoneAlarm (free version), RegSupreme Pro and NOD32 AntiVirus. I am also behind a router. All are kept up to date and used regularly. The problem doesn't happen after running any of the aforementioned utilities though. Only after I shut down the computer having ran any or all or none of the utilities at all. It may very well be a setting in one of the utilities that is doing this but I have not been able to find it.
    Thanks for any ideas that might help.

JR

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Ad-aware, Spybot and I'm almost positive RegSupreme Pro....should not be the cause. I'm also fairly certain MSAS is not the culprit....but until I can doubly make sure....I'll take a rain check. That leaves Zone Alarm and Nod32. If ZA is indeed the free version....it should not be causing this problem since it does not have the Privacy features. What that leaves is Nod 32....and if you disable all it's protection....make the selections in Spywareblaster....re-boot the PC....are they still protected ?

5. jrhut

jrhut Registered Member

Thanks for your help. I should have figured out the problem before but sometimes it takes someone to make you open your eyes. It wasn't Nod32. I forgot to mention that I run a program called Cookie Pal to control cookies. I have used this program for years and had never had a problem before. they haven't put out a new version in a long time but it has continued to work well for me through Win 95, 98, 98SE and XP Pro. I would hate to have to remove it. I guess my question would be that since there are no cookies getting on my machine that I have not given my OK then would I be safe if I continued to run it even if SpywareBlaster is showing that 209 cookies on IE are unprotected? I had ZoneAlarm Pro for years also and I know that you could control cookies from there but I never liked anything as well as Cookie Pal. Like I say it never has let me down that I am aware.

Thanks for helping me find the software that is causing the condition in SpywareBlaster.

JR

6. noobby

noobby Registered Member

I'm using Ad-AwareSE & Spybot as well as Cookie Pal and AdMuncher. I'm not running any Antivirus or Firewall simply because my pc is old and can't handle it. My system is clean as I stay on top of anything that seems out of the ordinary.

I've even uninstalled Spywareblaster and removed the folder it leaves behind, then re-installed it, made sure all the necessary settings were in place and still I get the same result.

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

You are very Welcome ;)

Would one of ya'll or both of ya'll Please disable Cookie Pal....and see if that is the problem.

8. noobby

noobby Registered Member

That seems to have done it. When I close Cookie Pal completely and rerun Spywareblaster, lo and behold, it comes up the way it should.

Thanks a bunch. Guess I'll have to contact the authors of Cookie Pal.

9. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Glad you got it to work....and you are welcome.

10. noobby

noobby Registered Member

I guess I have one more question in regard to this little problem. Is it a Cookie Pal problem or is it something that Spywareblaster can remedy? I contacted Cookie Pal support and their reply was equivalent to a shoulder shrug and a "Gee, I don't know" (And, I'm sure, an "I don't care").

Does anyone else have any cookie software they can recommend in place of Cookie Pal?

11. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey noobby,

If I were you....I would start a thread in our Privacy Software Forum. While you may get responses in the Spywareblaster Forum later than sooner....your best bet IMHO is to ask folks in the above mentioned Forum if any of them have had issues with Cookie Pal and Spywareblaster.

12. noobby

noobby Registered Member

Thanks. Will do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.